Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Baby refusing to eat baby food?

My DD is 7 months old and pretty much refuses to eat baby food. I've taken it very slow with her and only offer baby food every few days. She'll eagerly take the spoon but as soon as she tastes the baby food she starts making faces and refuses to open her mouth. I've tried all the stage 1 stuff with her and she just doesn't seem to care for it. Yet if I'm eating a piece of pizza she tries very hard to grab it and is practically drooling.

I think maybe its a texture thing and she'd do better with "real" food but she also gags a lot so I think she needs more practice/maturity before getting real solids.

I admit I'm kind of scared that she's going to be an insanely picky eater. My DS is pretty picky but he ate most everything up until he was 18 mo or so. Anyone else go through this?

DS was never a big fan of baby food. He always wanted to feed himself. I distinctly remember him eating tiny bites of pizza at 8 or 9 months. I am not saying it was my best parenting move, but I was kind of laid back the second time around. He is now 4 and is (at least compared to my older child) a good eater.

I think that I was giving DS1 small pieces of chicken and other soft foods at that age -he gagged on the baby food quite a bit, but had a better time with real food. Have you given her any solids? I think that we may have even started with little pieces of toast -that was a big hit.

Can't say I blame her! I never found baby purées very appealing so I can see why babies don't either. . (That is posted in humor, which is so hard to convey in typing).

If she seems interested in your food, check out baby led weaning. There was a thread on here at one time for those of us who never did much baby food. I tried it for DD1 but neither she nor I liked it so I didn't even bother with DD2. I just fed my girls safe portions of whatever we were eating. DD2's first ever solid food was rice, black beans and guacamole from Chipotle.

ETA: neither of mine are picky eaters. DD1 is actually a very adventurous eater.
    Last edited by boilermaker; 10-06-2013 at 04:50 AM.

My youngest also never took to baby food. I recall just giving her little bits of what we were eating. She is almost 5 now and still a pretty picky eater.
    A&K 05.18.02
    Baby Girl 09.06.05... Angel Baby Oct 2007... Baby Girl 10.21.08
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

DD hated baby food so we just gave her bits of our food. I still remember that the first thing she actually liked was broccoli with garlic. Those cereals and stuff are pretty gross. She's the least picky eater ever, so I think she really just wanted food with good flavour even at that age.

DD1 didn't eat much of any solid food in any form until about 15 months. Maybe she'd gag down 55-6 cheerios. And then one day she started eating everything. She's somewhat picky IMO but nothing like I hear from others, never went through an only chicken nugget and hotdogs phase or anything.

Dd2 stole a graham cracker and practically inhaled it at 5 months old, so not much point in going with babyfood.

By the time DS came we didn't even bother with trying purees. He ate lots of very ripe fruit, pears (peel removed) were a favorite.
    DD8 DD7 DS2.5 DD 10.26.13

I agree with the others. If I was doing it again, I wouldn't bother with purées at all. I had more luck anyway with partially mashed actual food, like banana and avocado.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

a small drinking island with a fishing problem

I was much more laid back with my second. I fed him purées for a few weeks, but he lost interest quick. I realized he was ready for real food when, at 8 months, he crawled over to DD, who was having a picnic in the living room floor, and ate half her grilled cheese before I realized what was happening. If I had a #3 (which won't happen!!!) I'd skip purées altogether.
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

DD never liked the store-bought purées. Our sitter would bake yams and carrots for her instead. The she moved on to steamed zucchini, puffs, cut up blueberries, etc...Now she's 10 month old and pretty much eats what we eat. I just don't overly spice the food. She loves chicken veggie soup, lentils with rice, tiny bits of quesadilla.

She will suck down a GoGo Squeez, because she sees DS eating them.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon