Quantcast
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

We got rid of cable over a year ago, and have really only missed it for the handful of baseball games we couldn't get. We have a digital antenna I our attic that gets crystal clear reception and a decent handful of networks, and then we subscribe to Hulu and Netflix, so about $20/month. We do also have Amazon prime, and there's an increasingly large number of things we watch on there.

For anything that we have to stream from a website (Project Runway), we use a chrome cast. No regrets whatsoever- our bill went from $100/month for cable to $20 for the 2 services. The biggest hassle was the startup of figuring out how to get each show, but that's totally DH's department. We made up our startup costs (chromecast, antenna, and we bought our own cable modem) within a few months.

Of course, now that the Cubs are in the playoffs, we just signed up for Sling, but we'll cancel after the post season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    R+P 11.09.02
    C 04.06.09 + G & J 12.19.11

We haven't had cable for like 5+ years now. The only real downside is when people come over (like if our parents visit) because they totally don't get it. We have appletv with Netflix and Hulu, an antenna and plus we buy the NFL Sunday ticket streaming. But we live out of area for the Pats so we used to get the NFL Sunday ticket even when we had cable. We can stream off network stuff via Twitter now, too. It's honestly only improving in this sphere. If you aren't sure, I would recommend trying it for a month. Like keep your cable but do trial subscriptions for Hulu, etc, and see what's missing.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Thanks for the info! It sounds like there is an easy fix for football, so that is good. I think hockey is the big issue. If there is a service where he can watch his Islanders games, he will be happy. He records them when he is not home and will do everything in his power not to get spoiled on the score.

I keep seeing ads for Sling in my FB feed, I will have to research that.

How do you manage multiple TVs? I cannot see buying all of these extra devices for every TV.

Default Fall 2013/2016 TV

Are the hockey games on regular networks? (NBC, cbs, etc)

If so, PSVue or Sling would help. So would a digital antenna. With Sling or the antenna you'll need to buy a DVR such as TiVo if you want to be able to record (as far as I could tell from my research), but with PSVue you can mark the broadcast as a favorite and essentially watch it On Demand.

You need some sort of device for any streaming live TV service. It can be a Roku, Apple TV, etc. research the services and it will tell you what devices they're compatible with. You need one for each TV, I believe. Our playroom has the PlayStation the kids play on so they can watch through that.

Our cable bill was RIDICULOUS. Like $210/month for internet, TV, and a home phone we never use. On top of that, we already were paying for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

Now we just have the internet service from the cable company. We did add the MLB subscription (not sure how much that is), the PSVue which I think is $25/month, and the two Rokus. Still, we came out way ahead of the game and there is nothing I miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skyblu; 10-07-2016 at 09:08 AM.
    J + A

No, he pays for some hockey channel cable upgrade. I don't know anything about it!

We have a SmartTV in the LR and a bluRay in our bedroom. We watch Netflix, Amazon, etc that way. I am assuming we could do the same with any movie channels that have an app like HBO Go. I'd have to check. I just recently canceled Hulu because I was never watching it. So, if we had Sling, it would be the same idea? An app we click on to watch shows?

Our cable is also over $200 a month for internet, phone, and cable. It is so ridiculous.

I'm so ignorant about all of the devices. We still have cable because DH handles that and I don't care what we do. What do you do about the premium channels like HBO? He wants to watch sports (NFL and golf) and his shows on HBO and Showtime and if he could do that cheaper with not much more work he would.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

I haven't researched it a lot, but I think we would have to drastically change our viewing habits if we cut the cable. We never watch anything "live", which would seem to say we could do it easily and just stream everything. But we watch everything on a delay. Football game? Record it and start watching an hour later and finish up at the same time the game is ending. And even if we don't watch a tv show at the time it is broadcast, we do watch a majority of them the same day. And with Hulu, we'd have to wait until the next day. Unless someone can tell me how to (easily) record streaming and network tv and be able to start the playback while it is still recording, we will cling to our cable DVR.

We have HBO Go for game of thrones. We could watch other things on it too, obviously. Also, there is a hockey thing too, like the NFL Sunday ticket but for hockey. We don't watch hockey so I don't know the details.

I think you do have to adjust your viewing patterns and expectations somewhat. It flat out doesn't work for some people and that's okay. My friend watches a lot of reality TV; I don't watch any. We used to always have the food network on in the background when we had cable. With no cable, everything we do is more deliberate viewing, which I personally enjoy but some people hate. They are also adding more things to streaming all the time. But I have a limited amount of time to watch TV, basically after 10pm, and it doesn't matter to me if I'm watching today's episode of something or last week's. Not everyone feels the same way. You do over time sort of adjust your mental process, though. Like if I'm really into a show, I will keep track of what day it's on so I know when I can find it on Hulu. Then gradually I start to think of shows as being "on" whatever day it is I can access them. Thought process shift.

Leslie, for any live TV streaming service like Sling or PSVue you need a Roku or similar. We have smart TVs too but we still need that. You wouldn't need it if you only watched On Demand stuff like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc.

I never watch stuff right as it happens, Scarlett, so I haven't tried it. But even though Hulu is next day, many of the same shows are on PSVue and I can watch them the same day. You can't "record" it, but you can watch it on demand. So as soon as it airs it's available. You can watch it then or you can watch it later. I don't think you can do that with Sling, from what we found out. You'd have to buy a separate DVR. Another option is to rent the DVR from your cable company but cancel all but extremely basic service, then watch all the extras via Sling.

I can't speak for sports though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J + A

Oh also we only have one TV, so there's that. But you would need separate boxes of whatever sort (sling, appletv, etc) for each TV to get the same stuff. We had planned to get a new TV in our LR and I was just going to use a cheap fire stick I had picked up for $19 to do basic Netflix, Hulu, Amazon in the bedroom, but we ended up not doing it. I think a smart TV is the same idea. You would have to consider what you watch on whichever screens aren't your "main" to determine if you need/want a full set up in each additional location. If I want to watch TV in bed, which is rare, I just stream it directly on my iPad.