Quantcast
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Do you have any Baby 'boutiques' in your area? I know there are some around that have a lender program and they put your rental fee towards the purchase price of a new carrier?

I have a Beco and my sister had the Gemini I think. They were both nice - however a lot has to do with the size/shape of the parent using it. (My sister and I and our husbands are all shorter)
    Tara and Terry: May 13, 2006
    Elizabeth Vittoria: December 21, 2007

We have a few - but they are VERY pricey and not very close. We would probably buy from Amazon/Babies R Us/Target (where we have gift cards or credits) - or possibly gently used from Craigslist.

My husband is tall (6'4").
    Last edited by jajacobsen; 09-12-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Dh is 6'2" and has no problems using the ergo. He still really prefers the Kelty, but that is not useful in the beginning.
    Last edited by Hello Kitty; 09-12-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

I love, love, love my Beco Gemini! The Ergo is also good, BUT, the baby cannot face outward like it can in the Gemini. That was the main selling point for me, as I wanted an "outward" facing option for my baby once he got older.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

I have a Beco Gemini, a Beco Butterfly II, an Ergo, a woven wrap, and assorted mei tais, ring slings, and pouches acquired over the course of 8 years and 3 babies (I also live in NYC, where most people walk everywhere.) Honestly, it depends on you and your baby. My first DS was all about the fleece pouch or the ring sling (and screamed in everything else) until he got too heavy for 1-shoulder carriers and I had to slowly transition him into the Sutemi (no longer made, but similar to an Ergo--we used it so much it fell apart.) For my DD, I used the Beco sometimes, but mostly I preferred my Babyhawk mei tai. For my newest DS, I was using the Babyhawk exclusively until last week, when I forgot to bring it to my parents' house during a 4-day stay. We had to make an emergency run to BRU to buy an Ergo. I'd never used one before, but I LOVE it, and I've been using it more than the mei tai. So you really have to figure out what's comfortable for you and what your baby likes...
    A 5/31/05, L 5/11/09, and E 6/6/13

Good to know about not facing out on the Ergo. I think DH needs to spend some time at the baby store trying these on!
    DH and I are huge dogwalkers/hikers, ec. I also can't see taking the stroller everywhere I need to go.

Thank you for all the great information.

Ergos are $57-$80 at Albee Baby right now.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

Thank you!

There are no Beco retailers in my state. DH would prefer to be able to try on whatever he buys, so that limits us. He tried on a bunch at Babies R Us this weekend and liked the Ergo the best. I liked it as well! I'm looking forward to figuring out my Moby.

I used the Moby with DD2 when she was itty bitty. I liked it, but since she was born when it was still quite hot here, I didn't get as much use out of it as I had hoped. Plus since it is so much fabric, it's not always easy to tuck it into a diaper bag or prevent the tails from landing in a puddle when you're standing in the parking lot trying to get it all together!

I also had a mei tai, which was pretty, but didn't really work for me.

The one I used the most was a ring sling. It was super convenient from the time the girls were about 4 months old until they were 4 or so. I liked that it could easily be packed into a diaper bag or the basket of the stroller. Once, when we were at a festival, I used it to carry DD, then used it as a "leash" to contain her while I was waiting in line for food, and then I used it as a picnic blanket when we were eating. Talk about a multi-tasker!
    wife 08.10.02
    mother 11.01.03 and 09.01.06