Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I never got the hang of the Moby, but will try it again next time.

I have a Babyhawk mei tai that I really loved. I used it when DS was pretty little and I couldn't get the hang of the Moby.

I also had a Beco Butterfly II and an Ergo and I much prefer the Ergo. I didn't like the inner panel in the Beco and after I got the hang of babywearing, found it to be a PITA, especially for back carries. I sold the Beco and kept the Ergo. Another carrier along those same lines is a Boba 3G and I will likely get one of those next time. My friends that have one love it more than the Ergo.

My friends also love ring slings, but I have no experience with them.
    DD Feb '08
    DS June '11
    DD Jan '15

I loved my moby for the newborn stage when I would be babywearing for a long time.

After about 20 lbs or so, I always felt like DD would start sagging so I traded it for an Ergo.

For quick errands at any stage, I really like a quality ring sling. So fast and convenient when all you want to do is pop into Target for 15 minutes and don't want to deal with all the fabric of a moby or snaps of the Ergo.

a small drinking island with a fishing problem

My ringsling gave me that snuggle factor that the moby gives, and for me, it was way easier to get into, with a lot less fabric and didn't make me as hot. YMMV, though. I prefer a gathered shoulder for a ringsling. I love my Sakura Bloom RS. It was a hand me down from GeekGirl. I still use it with both my kids.
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

I wouldn't discount the Bjorn just yet. I use a Moby and and Ergo with DD. My husband uses the Bjorn that we saved from when our son was a baby. DD prefers the Bjorn hands down. She starts giggling when she sees it. She doesn't seem as comfortable in the Ergo and doesn't really like the Moby because she's so squirmy. As long as you adjust the Bjorn to properly fit baby, it should be fine. I have yet to see any official medical documentation stating that it's dangerous. It is harder on the back for me, which is why I use the Ergo, but men seem to prefer the Bjorn for whatever reason. Honestly, my insistence on using the Ergo is silly, because she wants out of it in 5 minutes and I end up carrying her everywhere.

With all that said, What you end up using will really depend on your baby. Most parents try a few wearing options before they figure out what works for them.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

I had a peanut shell/pouch, ring sling, ergo and beco 2. I agree, it's kind of addicting! For sure my fave is the beco. The ergo just didn't fit me well. I got it for my husband but he only used it once. I gave it to my friend and she loved it. The sling styles DD didn't love, but I used them for short walks/trips sometimes. I used the beco starting about 3 weeks old. I probably could have used it day 1 but I just didn't think of it. I still have it now for in a pinch, but I haven't used it in awhile. It was great for travel!
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I loved my Moby, partly because I had twins and could only double wear them in that. It seems pretty complicated at first but most wraps start with the same basic set up, so once you get that down it's really not that hard. It is a lot to put on for quick errands. In the early days I would put it on at home so I wouldn't be struggling with it in the parking lot when I arrived. It's also great for the early days because you can do a lot of skin to skin contact (just wear it around the house with no shirt on underneath), and that is really important for creating and establishing a milk supply. I think the K'Tan is very similar but less fabric. Not sure if you can do as many different carries with it, though. I did like how with the Moby you tie a band of fabric around your low back/hips, because I had a lot of back issues and that low support really felt good, especially when carrying weight.

I had a sling that was perfect for quick errands, and a mei tai that I really loved. Mine had two ties, but now there are several brands that buckle at the waist (like an Ergo) and only have 1 tie. I'm pretty sure the Beco and Babyhawk both buckle at the waist. I'd get one of those if I had another baby. I didn't get a ring sling, because I found a free pattern online for a pouch sling and my mom sewed me one out of cotton, so I could try it out. It worked so well I never ended up getting another one! I used it all the way until my kids were toddlers, because I could hip carry them with it. I could fold it up small and stuff it in my pocket or purse and then on long walks or shopping trips, when they got tired I could just throw it on and put a kid on my hip for awhile. I used it for maybe 8 months like a cradle carry, and it worked well for discreet nursing in public, too.

How much do you want to know? There are so many options, it can be overwhelming. You might want to see if there is a babywearing group in your area. I know you're in GA, so I looked at the list of GA groups with FB pages according to the Babywearing Love and Support group and there are groups in Columbus, Atlanta, South Georgia, Savannah, and Gwinnet County.

If you're on Facebook, you can join Babywearing Love and Support at https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/377237985638946/ Warning, though, it's a huge group with tons of posts a day but you might be able to get a good feel for babywearing.

Also, The Baby Wearer is still a good web site.

Ring slings and wraps are probably the best for newborns. Pouches can be pretty hard to fit as your and your baby's size changed. The learning curve for wraps can be a little high (I have neither the patience nor the dexterity to be a wrapper), though stretchy ones are a little easier than woven wraps. Some people skip the stretchy wraps and go right to a woven, though, because many of them can be used from birth to preschool age. Ring slings aren't too hard to use and are pretty adjustable. There are tons of You Tube videos on using both. Unless you really want to buy new, you should be able to get a Moby and a ring sling for pretty cheap either online or in a consignment shop.

After that, I would get a SSC (soft structured carrier- meaning it has buckles). If you want to buy new, you might be able to find an Ergo at TJMaxx or Marshalls for about $60. If not there, they've been coming up a lot on those baby steals sites lately. They are clearancing out their old patterns so it's a really good deal. If not that, I would wait until Black Friday and see what's discounted. I've never paid more than $80 or $90 for a SSC.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

I have used a few different carriers with two kids...
    Ring Sling: I used a RS for DD when she was a new born. It was a cheap $20 one from BRU. I never felt she was in it right. She loved it though.

Baby Bjorn: I have a tiny 6 month old in it. It killed my back. DD and I hated it.

Ergo: Once I found out the Bjorn was bad for kids, and me, I researched way too much and settled on the Ergo. I am small in stature. It fit ok. It fit DH ok. DD started using it when she was maybe a year d and only weighed 17 lbs. She never really cared for it. I ended up wearing it on my back as I was pregnant with DS at the time and it was hard to get her in there despite her trying to help. With DS, I had a bad back and he was really fat so we ended up using it a handful of times. On the upside, I paid $90 and sold it on Craigslist for $75. It was definitely worth the money.

Moby: I wore DS in a Moby for months. I LOVE the Moby. It was cumbersome to put on, yes. But it was and remains the only carrier that I could wear with my bad upper and lower back. I could wear my very chunky baby for a solid 3-4 hours on a good day. And he was so clingy, I was the only one who could hold him. I also loved that he could be hidden away as a newborn. No one could really get to him, keeping him germ free. With a good wrap, i could lean completely over and he stayed nice and tight on my chest. Talk about freedom. I used the Moby almost exclusively, every time I went out, for a good 9 months.

Peanut Shell: I had an non-adjustable sling that you buy based on your size. Bad back and all, I loved this once DS got older. In particular, with two small children, DS could sit on my hip, supported, while my hands were free. It is tiny and could fold in a sandwich bag. It literally took 5 seconds to slip over your head. And while it would hurt after an hour or two, it was better than no carrier holding. Because my DS is still small (43" and 37#) at 6.5, I carry him in big crowds or when we need to run and he is pokie. I wish I still had my carrier!

I hope that you are satisfied with whatever you choose. It is hard because what works for one, does not always work for another!

I went with woven wraps instead of moby - the links littlemia posted above are good starting point.

Some mama also like ring slings, but i prefer wraps.

I also got Tula instead of ergo/beco. This is faster to put on than wraps, but I still prefer wraps as it is more snuggly.

Wearing the baby was one of the best decisions I made - I get to snuggle with the baby while still be hands free. When he was younger, he napped the longest when I wore him - it was like kangaroo care but not lying down. He's 1yo now, and I wear him on my hip as we went out to eat (if the place doesn't have a high chair). And at some places it's also easier than using a stroller. So convenient.

I was given Moby at a shower and feel good with that but I need something for DH. I want to eliminate all reasons why he can't handle the baby and two dogs on walks!

Which would you recommens - a Beco Gemini or an Ergo (with infant insert)?