Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Baby Wearing Questions

I'm posting here in order to get as much traffic as possible (since the boards seem to have slowed somewhat). I've also posted this in my journal and in the Due in 2013 thread.

We have registered for a Baby Bjorn, but I also think I want a Moby, which seems to me something better to wear inside the house (whereas the Bjorn seems more Like "gear" and I can see my husband using it a lot.) I want to know all about everyone's experiences, preferences, rules, of when one can or cannot start using each of the items (what age). Tell Me All!

You'll love the moby, especially with a little one. And once you figure it out, you'll use it outside the house too

I'd skip the bjorn and get either a Beco or Ergo. Much more versatile and comfortable. And you can get much cooler designs
    I still use my Beco backpack style for my 30 lb, almost 4 year old on long hikes.

Moby can be used from the day they are born. The Beco and Ergo depends on the size of the baby but they do have infant inserts. My babies were big (9 and 9.5 lbs) and I used the beco without the insert within the first week.

Down the road (around 6-7 months), I loved having a hot sling to do a super quick hip carry into a store.

Be careful...baby wearing can be addictive I wore my babies ALL THE TIME! You can nurse right in the carrier (makes it very easy to do out in public with nobody even able to tell), they sleep great snuggled up against you, you are hands free to cook dinner or walk the dogs.

Yes to what boilermaker said. The Bjorn is a bit of a 'crotch dangler' that puts undue pressure n baby's hips.

Loved the Moby for the newborn phase. You can also make your own VERY easily by getting 5 yards of bi-stretch cotton fabric and cutting it in half long way. Then follow the directions for wearing on the Moby site. Anyway, baby wearing is so nice, and you'll probably like it hiking with your dogs.

Target has the ergo now which is awesome. I love it for my toddler and baby both. You can use a rolled up receiving blanket to bumper them as an infant insert.

One thing to remember is your baby is changing constantly. So if he resists being worn in a certain carry or at a certain age, its not all doomed. Keep trying again, maybe when baby is happy and awake, or nursing and sleepy. Just might be different preferences.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

Quote Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
    Yes to what boilermaker said. The Bjorn is a bit of a 'crotch dangler' that puts undue pressure n baby's hips.
    Yes, yes, yes. Skip the Bjorn and go for something that offers more support for you and baby. Like Boilermaker, I recommend the Ergo or Beco Butterfly (I tried the Beco Gemini and didn't like it; it felt cheap to me).

I used my Moby for the newborn stage and no longer. It is nice, but there is so much fabric. Once you get used to using a soft-structured carrier (like the Ergo or Beco), you will probably find that you don't want to waste time wrapping the Moby.

My girls both loved the Beco from about 2 months on (legs froggied up under them at first when they are still too tiny to hang out the sides). DS hated it, so I bought an Ergo, which does not come up as high on baby's back/head. He likes it much better than the Beco, I think because he can see out better. I was desperate for him to like being worn, because I NEED to wear him at times (like when I am grocery shopping and need the cart for food and not his car seat). Plus, he is a big boy and (as you know) I had back surgery when I was pregnant with him, so it became almost impossible for me to carry him around in his car seat by about 3 months (he is 20 pounds and really long at 5.5 months). And, I just really prefer the closeness of wearing my babies. DD2 is almost 3.5 and about 30 pounds, and she still fits in the Ergo (I haven't tried her in the Beco lately, but I'm sure she'd fit in it as well).

Personally I had a hard time using the Moby because of all the fabric. When I was out and about I didn't want to be wrapping all the fabric in a parking lot without being able to look in a mirror to make sure it's positioned right, but that's just me and with practice it probably would have been easier. My kids didn't like having their legs froggied in the Beco so until they were big enough too fit their legs comfortably I did use the Bjorn but only for short periods of time (like walking DS to the bus stop). Once the baby hits 15 lbs I find the Bjorn really uncomfortable and then switch to the Beco. I love the Beco and I definitely get a lot of use out of it.

I am a baby wearing convert. Never did it (or liked it for that matter) with the first two, but with #3, it was a necessity.

I had the Bjorn from my first and agree, skip it. My friend who is an avid baby-wearer suggested the K'tan
    http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Ktan-Carr...ywords=k%27tan I highly recommend you checking it out. It was AMAZING and my baby loved it. It was very easy to use and was soft, machine washable, etc.

I also got the Beco Gemini which is also AMAZING and can be used from birth to toddler age. It is similar to the Ergo, except, the baby can face out which it cannot do in the Ergo.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

Don't get the bjorn, it's dangerous!!

I loved a pocket/pouch carrier for tiny tiny (peanut shell was the brand), then a moby then my Beco. The Beco was the carrier I used the most, very comfortable and easy to get on/off.

Babywearing is the best!
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

I would def skip the Bjorn. I had one and once my son reached 12 pounds it killed my back.

I would get a moby (or even a peanut shell) for when they are newborns then switch to a Beco (or Ergo). My Beco has gotten a lot of mileage. It's 6 years old and I still use it. We were in Disney a few weeks ago and DD (2) was asleep in the stroller and DS2 (4) was tired of walking. So I strapped him on. I'm 115 pounds and he's 40 pounds. It was no big deal at all and very comfy.
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

a small drinking island with a fishing problem

I really struggled with the moby, but I only tried it with DD, who was my first, and I was completely terrified of breaking her! I really love my Beco Butterfly II and still use it. The Ergo and Beco are very similar. We were having a similar discussion on my MOMS Club FB page and what I wanted to add to this discussion is that it seems like there's an awkward period for many baby wearers with the Beco and the Ergo where the baby is too big to be foggy legged but to small to wear them traditionally. That seems to be when some people give up on those carriers. If you find that happening, don't give up! Just give it a couple more weeks.

I also really like my Mai tai carrier. Between my weight changing rapidly and the baby growing so quickly, I felt like it was easier to get a perfect fit because the adjustment was as easy as loosening or tightening the tails, whereas the Beco needed the buckles loosened or tightened.
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm still up for trying a Moby, and based upon recommendations, I switched my registry from a Bjorn to an Ergo, although I really am open to all options. Please keep posting!