Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drive-in Theaters in danger! Remember the Drive-in?

I got this e-mail from Honda today and it got me thinking about all the great memories I have of the Drive-In theater in my town. We use to go see Disney movies, but as kids we always sat in the back seat and watched the adult movies on the other screens. Later the dates we went on there, hanging out in the back of the pickup truck in lawn chairs drinking vodka spiked Mtn. Dew. Aww, those were the days.

Apparently when all film goes to digital the Drive-in's will have to close unless they can upgrade to a digital projector, which cost like $80,000. So Honda and partners are donating 5 projectors to the drive in theaters with the most votes. The one I remember was in Utah and is not on the list, probably already closed, so I am voting for the one in Oregon. Anyway, take a few minutes to vote. If you don't have one near you then vote for the 99W Drive-In in Oregon, I'd love to see it saved.

Project Drive-In

Any good Drive-in memories to share? I'm kind of sad DD won't have any memory of the drive in, even if we take her it's not close enough to us for her to actually have experiences there.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once

Love the drive-in. Actually, the one I went to throughout my childhood closed down at the end of its season last summer. It closed for this very reason (upgrading to the digital screen).
    A & G 7/12
    Avery 8/02, Jaden 1/07, Christian 4/14

We used to go to one (that's apparently still open) as children. I mentioned to DH that I'd like to take the girls this summer to one. We missed it, but hopefully we can next year. The one we went to as kids is closer to my parents; maybe over Labor Day weekend I'll take the older girls. i bet they'd get a kick out of it
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

DH wanted to open a drive-in in our area but I looked into it briefly and the costs were much higher than what we were wanting or able to invest due to the digital thing. There's 2 in our area -1 about 45 minutes away and then another close to my hometown about 1.5 hours away.

I guess we should plan on taking the kids soon!!

I loved drive-in movies as a kid! The whole neighborhood would go and we'd all bundle up in our parent's pick-up trucks with tons of blankets and pillows. That was way back when kids were allowed to ride in the back of an open truck.... I can't even imagine doing that with my kids. Anyway, such good memories!

Where I live, I don't know of a single drive-in theater. It think they all closed up years and years ago.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12

The local drive in by us did upgrade this year and to help pay for it they got rid of the $5 food pass. Now you can't bring in outside food, even for those with allergies and the person who does their FB page is a douche. I haven't been all season because of this reason, as have many of my friends who have allergies in their family. I even offered to bring my own popcorn, but pay for theirs (and they could keep the popcorn). Sounds like a win-win to me, but it was a no go for the FB douche. I also told them to raise the cost of the food pass. Now they just decided to close on Wed and Thurs nights for the rest of the season because people aren't coming out as much. Gee, didn't we warn you that would happen?
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

Although, I'm totally going to go this year - maybe with some girl friends, because they're having Retro Tuesdays every Tuesday night. Next week is Ferris Bueller and The Breakfast Club, the following week is Grease and American Graffiti. I'd like to go to both.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

Searched & found out the one neawr my hometown closed down. The one closer to us also does retro nights one night during the week. I'm going to see if DH would be willing to take the kids before the end of season -even if we just watch 1 movie! I think that they have already upgraded as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jennylou View Post
    The local drive in by us did upgrade this year and to help pay for it they got rid of the $5 food pass. Now you can't bring in outside food, even for those with allergies and the person who does their FB page is a douche. I haven't been all season because of this reason, as have many of my friends who have allergies in their family. I even offered to bring my own popcorn, but pay for theirs (and they could keep the popcorn). Sounds like a win-win to me, but it was a no go for the FB douche. I also told them to raise the cost of the food pass. Now they just decided to close on Wed and Thurs nights for the rest of the season because people aren't coming out as much. Gee, didn't we warn you that would happen?
    How do they know if you have food in your car if you don't show it to them for approval?
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

How do they know if you have food in your car if you don't show it to them for approval?
    The one near me would check your car for food -coolers etc. They do allow outside food brought in and also have the $5 pass for doing that. They have an awesome conession stand though & I think that's part of the fun in going to the drive-ins so I've purchased popcorn and stuff there. I would totally want to be able to bring my own if I had an allergy though!