Quantcast

Default Please help me vary my work outs

What do you do when you start getting bored? I work out 4-5 times/ week. Zumba is my favorite. I could take that class all 5 days and be totally content. However I know I should be varying it more and due to scheduling, it's been harder for me to get to classes. Usually on the days I don't go to Zumba, I do the elliptical. When the weather cools down, I jog once/ week. I've tried cycling in the past, but could never get into it. I have several friends who swear by it, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. What's your work out schedule?

I do Beachbody workouts and Tracy Anderson Method Metamorphosis workouts at home, and there is enough variety that I don't get bored. Or, when I get bored, the program is usually near its' end and it is time to move on to a new one. With Meta, I do the same mat workout for 10 days then move on to a new one. I'm supposed to do the same cardio for 90 days but I do a Beachbody DVD instead. Right now I am doing Focus T25, a 25 minute intense cardio workout program that is at least 10 weeks long (you can purchase an additional set to continue the program). I do the same 6 DVDs each week (varying which day) then after 5 weeks I switch to a new set of DVDs. Previously I did Turbo Fire, a 20 week program which mixes up a whole bunch of workouts, and combined it with Chalean Extreme, a strength training program. I've also done Insanity, which is a 60 day program using multiple workouts and different levels.

FWIW, I'm not a Beachbody coach, I don't sell the programs or make any money from endorsing them. I just really enjoy the programs, and have seen and felt amazing results. Metamorphosis has done amazing things for my body as well, but I don't like the cardio included with that program as I don't feel it is intense enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
    I do Beachbody workouts and Tracy Anderson Method Metamorphosis workouts at home, and there is enough variety that I don't get bored. .
    I've thought about BeachBody or Insanity. For some reason, I seem to have a hard time getting as "good" of a workout at home. At the gym, I'm drenched in sweat and can get my heart rate way up. But at home I just can't seem to make it happen even though I finish the videos.

I don't Zumba, but I'd suggest doing some weights. Women in general don't do enough weight training and I've found it to be a good workout and incredible for weight loss and toning. If your gym has a trainer who can show you some workouts, that would be ideal.

And, no, you won't bulk out. You need to pound protein and do specific reps/workouts to really get muscle mass as a woman. Obviously it's possible, but for the casual lift, you'll be good
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Have you tried TRX? I love it. I run 2-3x a week, do TRX and then randomly do Zen Labs apps for abs, legs and butt - I do 5 minute workouts for each of those. I also like the Nike exercise app which has lots of workouts.

Have you ever tried BodyPump? It's pretty fun and a good workout.
    "It's a great day for hockey!" - Badger Bob Johnson (1931 - 1991)

Kaitlyn builds a space shuttle!

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I've thought about BeachBody or Insanity. For some reason, I seem to have a hard time getting as "good" of a workout at home. At the gym, I'm drenched in sweat and can get my heart rate way up. But at home I just can't seem to make it happen even though I finish the videos.
    I am dripping with sweat after T25. Literally. I did Insanity and hated it with a passion (but finished it). I really really really liked Turbo Fire, and definitely sweated with that one too. It was way more fun, while Insanity and T25 is just work. Plus Turbo Fire has a strength training component, where you use resistance bands, which are every bit as good as weights (better, IMO, because you can adjust the intensity more easily). What DVDs have you done at home?

The thing I really like about these DVD programs is the accountability. You have a schedule of what you have to do every day (including a rest day) so you aren't left aimlessly wondering what to do, or whether to run or cycle, or whether to go to Zumba or whatever. You know exactly what you are supposed to do each day because the program tells you. You can even use the online tool to pre-program your calendar and tell you what workout to do (otherwise you can use the paper that comes with the program). I wish they could sync the online calendar with Google calendar, that would be awesome.

You mentioned Insanity, and I want to say that is a HARD program. It is really intense, no breaks, lots of jumping, sprinting, getting down on the floor and jumping back up, etc. I know a lot of people who have sustained injuries doing Insanity. I did Insanity after 20 weeks of Turbo Fire and it was HARD. If you are used to that level of working out, then go for it. But you might try looking into Turbo Fire first, and see what you think. Watch the (dorky) video, and see if it looks appealing. Despite the weird video, it really is a "fun" dance-kickboxing-aerobics workout (Fire) plus strength training plus high intensity interval training (HIIT) plus ab work, all rolled into one program. So one day you do Fire, the next day you do HIIT, then the next day you do strength, and somewhere in there you do abs. Sometimes you double up a HIIT and strength or abs in one day. And there are several different Fire, HIIT, abs, and strength DVDs so it isn't like you are rotating between only 3 DVDs.

Or feel free to ignore me, lol. I just really enjoy these workouts, and having the opportunity to workout on my own time. And again, I'm not part of the Beachbody cult, I don't sell the programs or make money for endorsing them. I just really enjoy the workouts and format.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I know I do need to add in weights more. I just don't like them, lol. My gym does do a BodyPump class that I should try. They also have something called Group Centergy that I hear is awesome. For some reason, it's been kind of hard to get to those classes with schedule conflicts.
    I've done a variety of at home videos, a Zumba one, post baby, etc. I just think I'm one of those people who need the gym atmosphere to get motivated. At home, the kids constantly interrupt and I do get distracted easily. OTH with the big kids going back to school soon, I'm not sure if DS2 will be agreeable to going in the gym childcare alone.