Quantcast
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So true about acclimating to the weather! I only moved to Florida as an adult after living in cold and temperate climates (New England and Southern California) for my whole life and 4 years later I STILL have trouble running outside 6 months out of the year. My son, on the other hand, has never ever complained about playing and running around in the heat...probably because he's totally accustomed to it and knows no different.

I used to do the trick gia mentioned with tying a car key to my shoelace, but the new boxy style of car key doesn't lend itself to that as well so I lock my house keys in the glove compartment of my car and put the car key in the interior pocket of my pants/shorts. Even workout clothes from Target (I am wearing some right now, as a matter of fact) have this feature now.

No suggestions about carrying water -- when I was running marathon distances I got used to a water bottle belt but I hated it.

And my favorite pre-run food is a half a whole grain English muffin with peanut butter and banana. Never fails! I would try to eat 60-90 minutes before the workout, if possible.
    Leo 12/5/08 ...and Ivy 7/26/12

I am trying to figure out if my success this summer, going from 2.5 mile to 6.5 miles, has been
    1) because I've been running on a rail trail - ie flat, whereas my neighborhood is rolling bumps
    2) because I am more awake - I wake up at 6 am, eat a small amount (usually a piece of ww bread with jam and 1/2 a banana), drive 25 minutes and start running at 7 am, versus rolling out of bed and start running within 15-20 minutes of getting up
    3) because I have eaten something

Or it could be a combination of all 3.
    I really can't run further than a 5K in my neighborhood, and even that is back tracking some. Once I leave my neighborhood the roads are very narrow and windy and there aren't large neighborhoods near by (ie I might be willing to risk 1/4 mile if it brought my to a great place to run).

I did recently start carrying a water bottle when running more than 5 miles in the heat and humidity, but I don't like to carry it - I do have a belt I haven't tried and I do have a camelback. Since I am not going beyond 7 miles and the heat will be leaving us soon, I don't think I need more water.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Probably a combination of the three, but that is an awesome increase in distance. Congratulations! I hate having to carry water too and avoid it if at all possible. I can't stand the belts and prefer the hydration vests, but those are just overkill if you aren't going really long distances and it's not terribly hot. I have to drive if I want to do a long run as well as I quickly run out of sidewalk areas to run on and you can only do so many loops of the same area without getting too bored.

Bumping this up because I have what is probably a stupid question. I've never run before but I'm planning on starting cough to 5k in a couple of months. My husband, who is already a runner, keeps coming home from the gym complaining how sore his nipples are, and sometimes they're even bleeding. I'm assuming it's friction from the shirt rubbing against them as he runs. I would obviously be wearing a sports bra, so would that prevent that? I hope?
    I'm surrounded by boys!
    DH 6/29/02 ~ DS1 3/2/06 ~ DS2 10/15/09

Quote Originally Posted by Tracie View Post
    Bumping this up because I have what is probably a stupid question. I've never run before but I'm planning on starting cough to 5k in a couple of months. My husband, who is already a runner, keeps coming home from the gym complaining how sore his nipples are, and sometimes they're even bleeding. I'm assuming it's friction from the shirt rubbing against them as he runs. I would obviously be wearing a sports bra, so would that prevent that? I hope?
    I don't think bleeding nipples are common in women but make sure your sports bras fit well because I sometimes get under boob chafing. Does your DH know about Body Glide?
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

Body glide and band aids are the typical fixes for that for men. I've heard vasoline is as effective but I prefer body glide because of the texture. I don't get nipple bleeding when I run but if I go for distances greater than about 5 mi I get very painful chafing from the band of my bra under my boobs. Body Glide does the fix every time.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

I've never had this problem either. The sports bra is a barrier.

Thanks! I actually did suggest Vasoline and band-aids for my husband but I don't think he listened. Good to know about Body Glide and I will definitely look into that if I experience chaffing.
    I'm surrounded by boys!
    DH 6/29/02 ~ DS1 3/2/06 ~ DS2 10/15/09

Yes, salt+sweat = rubbing on the band just below boobs. Use bodyglide (or vaseline but I like BG better).