Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

That sounds like a fun thing to do with your ds!

I have a cheap arm band for my itouch. For keys, I have a (very) low tech solution that works for me. I take my car key off the ring and leave my other keys in the glove box of my car. I thread the car key ring to the laces of my shoe and kind of tuck the key in under the other laces and tie the laces over it. I am probably making no sense- it's hard to describe, but it works. I usually just carry my water bottle, but it is annoying. I've thought about trying a camel back, but for the amount I run right now, I just carry the bottle. I don't wear any special running clothes- usually just regular workout clothes from TJ Maxx/Marshalls.
    Last edited by Gia; 08-19-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typos
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Spibelt or Flipbelt are two options to carry phone, keys, etc. I prefer the spibelt. I do marathon plus distances on trails, and it holds phone, keys, and fuel options easily. It looks small, but it is really stretchy. A lot of runners use the arm bands, but I find that they chafe over long distances which may not be a problem for you.

For water, I would either make him carry his own or just not take any. For the distance that a 7 year old would be running, you really wouldn't need water along the way unless it was tremendously hot. My kids (6 and 8) do cross country, and they usually hydrate well before the start of the practice and then when they get done. For carrying water, a waistpack would be too much and too heavy for a 7 year old. You could get one for yourself, but I hate them so I don't have any recs for that. I use a small handheld like an Amphipod handheld or a Fuelbelt sprint handheld. They carry about 8 ounces of water and are really small and not heavy at all. Anything larger than that is really overkill for the distance you would be going with a kid.

Running in cotton is just so uncomfortable in my opinion, and I only run in moisture wicking tech fabrics to reduce chafing, but again if you aren't going to be doing long distances you can probably get away with whatever you have on hand.

And have fun! I love running with my kids!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I am going shopping today after school resumes.

On competition days DS' age group does a 2K, but the workout I went to, we walked/ran 3 miles. We are in our hottest month so it was probably about 90 when we started last week at 6 pm. For now DS definitely heeds water. He'd complain so much without it! I myself need to remember to drink more before practices and overall!

I would enquire as to whether or not your son is allowed to run with water in competitions. If not, he probably shouldn't train with carrying water. Maybe there aren't even competitions at his age? Even so, I would try to wean him off as soon as the weather breaks.

I know this probably sounds hardass, but learning to run without carrying water (for at least the shorter distances) is one of the best practices your son can learn if you think he has any interest in cross country or track in junior high or high school. It becomes a crutch that is very hard to break. What is important is to teach proper hydration throughout the day (little and often).

Good shoes and running bras are always important. For shorter distances, your outer attire matters less. If cute, coordinated outfits keep you motivated - go for it. If you simply aren't that invested in how you look, junky shorts and tanks/tshirts of any sort will suffice.

Great info, jaja! I had no idea re: the water. I notice that some of the parents and older kids leave their waters at the start/end point for the run after the warm-up. Now I understand why!

littlebear, How soon before and how much should I let DS eat before he runs? I've been letting him have a little bit of dinner around 5 pm (we run at 6) and then he eats when we get home, but I'm wondering if I'm letting him eat too much before he runs.

I got a FuelBelt handheld and that worked well for water. I can also fit my car key and ID in the pocket. I have a pair of Lululemon capri pants with a waist pocket that I realized my iPhone fits into. I thought it would be too hot to run in them (it was about 95 when we started today) but it was actually fine.

Today he said this is the hardest thing he's done. ME TOO, KIDDO! But we both feel great for doing it.

Not Littlebear, but I'll offer my two cents:

Wow! I hate that it is so hot when you are running? Is that even legal? Here, because we have so many problems with heat related deaths, there are strict rules about organized sport practices in hot weather. Are you running in any shade?

Also, if there is any way your son (and you!) could eat closer to 4 than 5, it would help. Everyone's system is different, but generally good snacks are things that provide fuel ( so carbs) but do not sit too heavy on the stomache. Could you do a fruit/yogurt smoothie? Would that be enough? It would also offer hydration.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    littlebear, How soon before and how much should I let DS eat before he runs? I've been letting him have a little bit of dinner around 5 pm (we run at 6) and then he eats when we get home, but I'm wondering if I'm letting him eat too much before he runs.

I got a FuelBelt handheld and that worked well for water. I can also fit my car key and ID in the pocket. I have a pair of Lululemon capri pants with a waist pocket that I realized my iPhone fits into. I thought it would be too hot to run in them (it was about 95 when we started today) but it was actually fine.

Today he said this is the hardest thing he's done. ME TOO, KIDDO! But we both feel great for doing it.
    My kids have about the same schedule for practice. We usually try to have a healthy snack with some carbs and protein (piece of fruit and cheese/turkey with a few crackers is an example) but not too heavy around 4:30, and then we eat a light dinner after they are done. I found that letting them eat too much beforehand leads to complaints about tummy cramps and side stiches. Glad you found a solution.

Laughing at jaja's comment about restrictions in hot weather. In our area if we did that, the kids wouldn't practice for most of the summer. We had summer track in those temps with no shade most of the summer. The kids had to ease up on the pace on the really hot days and make sure to hydrate well, but otherwise they acclimate just like the adults. It's all what you are used to regionally. Of course our school has ridiculous rules about not playing outside if it is colder than 30 degrees which sounds ridiculous to people in the northeast.

That's so interesting. I just can't handle the heat at all, summer's kill me. But if the kids here couldn't play outside when it's colder than 30 degrees they wouldn't be outside for 6 months of the year!

Yes we are running partly in shade, and not in humidity. We live in a dry, hot valley and it can be 100 degrees well into October. I think at the elem school they only keep them inside for recess if it is over 100 degrees! Anyway, if we were in direct sun and it stayed that hot the entire time, I'm sure there would be some changes. But the temps drop considerably in that hour from 6 pm - 7 pm. It does not feel that hot to me when we run. And this is coming from a real whimp...about everything.

This local team has spring track and fall XC as it's only offerings.

I will try to move DS's "snack/dinner part 1" closer to 4:30. This new hobby of DS' is really forcing me to be more organized about our schedule and eating, which is probably a good thing!