Quantcast
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

No, there's no childcare... Our families are Catholic and I think that's more of a Protestant church thing?? Anyway, we ended up just taking them to the post funeral reception. Millie went to school for the morning, I picked her up just after noon, and the 3 of us headed down to RI to meet everyone at the restaurant. Everyone said we did the right thing- apparently the service was VERY long. One funny thing was that, in the middle of the sermon, a cell phone went off. Everyone was looking around trying to figure out who wouldn't have silenced their phone before a funeral... turns out it was the priest!! He interrupted himself, took his phone out, and checked who the call was from before turning off the ringer. I mean, really.
    Betsy and Dave, married 10/18/03
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10

You know how we all on CC complain about people who don't RSVP to people's birthday parties? Well, turns out that 2 moms at DS's daycare think that of me. We were at a birthday party this weekend at a bounce house and I thanked a mom for a goody bag that she had left at daycare for Will. If we have birthday parties at daycare, we bring in snacks and usually a goody bag for the kids and call it a day. This was a joint birthday party with 2 kids and the goody bag had a ton of stuff. So I thanked the mom. We then started talking and she was saying things that clued me in that they had just had a birthday party for her daughter the weekend before. It was SO awkward, I'm thinking, gosh, we weren't invited to that party, but she's talking about it right in front of me and then said that her DD was wondering where W was. At which point, I said "have I missed an RSVP?" and that I didn't remember getting an invitation but maybe it was lost... She said that she wondered why she hadn't heard from me and nearly emailed me to see what the deal was. I wished she had, b/c we did NOT get an invitation and I had no clue. I was actually wondering about it b/c the mom of the other kid asked me about this place at another birthday party and I recommended it to her! I looked all over DS's cubby at daycare today and it was not there. Who knows. I hated that people thought that of me. The other mom was not at this party, and I tried to say something to the dad, who was like, "WTF?" of course, he was likely not at all aware of it and couldn't care less!

Speaking of more "active" kids--I kind of wish DS was like this. He is very timid and doesn't want to try new things at all, even after he sees other kids doing it it takes him a LONG time to warm up to a new thing. The bouncy birthday party for example--he's been before and loves them, but hardly gets to play much b/c it takes him so long to decide to go on them. Other kids who are more fearless seem to have more fun than he does at stuff like that. Oh well.

Gia--Thursday or Friday would work for me. I can't do this weekend or Wednesday, not sure if that works with your schedule or not.

ETA: Betsy, I'm sorry for your loss.

Not much is new with us, DS is currently into bird watching. We put the bird bath and feeders up on the deck this spring and he loves looking at the birds and counting them.
    Last edited by bug; 04-22-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Do your kids know how to spit? We are trying to teach DS and not having a lot of luck. The dentist wants him to start using the flouride kids toothpaste and so he needs to be able to spit it out.

Last night he was hilarious--I tried a different method and asked him "You know how you get some food out of your mouth if you don't want to eat it?" and he replied, totally deadpan with a short pause, "uh, no". DH and I were in tears we were laughing so hard. It doesn't translate well without hearing him say it but it was so funny. But, he still can't spit. He just makes a noise and leans over the basin but nothing happens.

bug I haven't started Graham on real toothpaste yet. I will try soon though. He goes to the dentist for the first time next month. Not sure he can spit yet, he couldn't last time I asked him to try.

Last night I caught him looking at books on his floor at 12:30. Oh boy. I asked him what he was doing and he said he got up to get a drink. And then he wanted to look at his animal book, so he did.

The other day DH told Graham to start getting ready for bed, to go potty and brush his teeth. I said "Come on, you know he needs supervision." Graham said "Super vision! I have SUPER VISION!" and put his arms out like he was super hero.
    Eve Eleanor arrived June 5, 2007
    Graham Alexander arrived February 27, 2010
    George Derek arrived October 17, 2014

Brushing teeth- We are still using the "training toothpaste" but I am sure when we see the dentist she will say to make the switch, so I guess we should start working on the spitting.... really not sure I want to go down that path yet though! haha

Magrat- I love when they say cute things like that! This age is so fun.

We are doing well. I love spring and we are getting out and about and doing lots of stuff. Things are getting so much easier. I finally feel like I can BREATHE!! A tiny part of me can picture having a 3rd now. I am 99% sure that will not happen though because dh is 100% done and I am not sure I really want a 3rd bad enough to convince him. But I can at least imagine it now!
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

I'm laughing at the spitting question. I can't say it ever occurred to me that was something you had to teach. Riley spits just fine, so fine that she seems to enjoy it and does it much more frequently than I would like.

I've had her on kid toothpaste for a long time. We have well water so my dentist wasn't concerned about her swallowing the pea sized amount of toothpaste twice a day. She's also a very good flosser and can get most of her teeth on her own.

Boiler I was just thinking today that my boys are SO behind on self-grooming, dressing, etc. When I just read that Riley can FLOSS already. Yeah.... I want to cry! Seriously, I have to do EVERYTHING for my boys. We are working on it, but they don't even really brush themselves. They can do it for *maybe* 15 sec. but I always have to finish. They can't/won't put on their own shoes, clothes or jackets or anything either. I think they can get their own socks off sometimes. That's about it. I was talking to my friend who has boy/girl twins the same age as mine and she said her daughter can dress herself and do most self-grooming, but her son is like mine and won't do any of it. Bribes don't work. I don't think it's a motor skills issue or anything because they are super-coordinated in other areas. Frustrating.

ETA: OK, maybe I couldn't handle a 3rd, lol! Then I would be doing all of this for three kids, not just 2.

I am envious of the people posting that their child can't spit yet! 2 time outs today for spitting!! Ugh!!

We are still using training toothpaste today because Jimmy hates the kid toothpaste taste!

Oh Gia. They are just 3 with a mind of their own. They think they have it good with you doing everything. Maybe it's their way of getting solo attention from you. Riley's a super independent, wants to keep up with her big sister, do not get in her way very opinionated child. Payton at 6 would prefer I do it all for her (of course I don't but it makes for an unpleasant time at least once daily). I promise they will dress themselves and brush their own teeth before you send them off to college! I just feel for how exhausted you must be!

beth- That's exactly why I am afraid to introduce it since they don't seem to know about it yet! I'm sorry about the time outs. Hopefully it's just a brief phase and the novelty will wear off!

Boiler- It's funny, because in other ways things are getting so much easier, I don't really think of it as exhausting. I guess by next year things should be a lot easier! Hmmmm, you might be on to something (that it's their way of getting solo attention). They DO seem to be competitive, so I am hoping that preschool helps some of it. For example: they both went on the potty last week in the church nursery b/c the other kids were going.