Quantcast
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Congrats, Magrat!!
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

That's awesome, magrat! Welcome to the 3 kids club!

Congrats, Magrat!!
    Betsy and Dave, married 10/18/03
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10

Congrats Magrat!
    Married 8.5.2001
    DS 6.8.2005 DD 10.3.2007 DD 4.22.2011

Congrats magrat!!

And here's Graham with little brother:
    Eve Eleanor arrived June 5, 2007
    Graham Alexander arrived February 27, 2010
    George Derek arrived October 17, 2014

Graham's 5th birthday has come and gone and there hasn't been activity in here for a while, but I find myself going back to threads like this to remind me of what my kids were doing when, so I'll make another post for posterity.

I am so excited for him to start kindergarten in the fall. He's so ready, I wish I could send him now! When I dropped off DD yesterday I told him to just go in and sit in a kindergarten room and if the teacher asked who he was to say he'd been there all year but she never noticed He refused. He is driving me crazy at the moment because he does not stop talking. DH just described him as high energy and I said I wasn't so sure he was for a boy. He revised it to say high brain energy and I agreed. He is constantly saying goofy things, asking to play video games, and talking about Pokemon. Ahhh Pokemon. I am just a bit too old to have been into it when I was a kid and Graham is obsessed. He is always telling me what evolves into what, what types there are, asking me what my favorites are, telling me in order which his first, second, third etc favorites are. When I think all the useful stuff he could use that brain power for it makes me want to weep He also is so into video games. My daughter is 7 1/2 and has only just started showing an interest in a few easy games, and at his age couldn't play at all. He loves all the lego games and rarely needs help from me. It's so hard to limit his time playing when I have a new baby to take care of, the weather is cold and wet, his main playmate (DD) is at school all day, and the nonstop talking drives me up the wall. Oh well, I always worried about DD watching too much TV but since she started K two years ago she watches a fraction of what she used to. At least the gaming involves puzzles and interaction unlike watching cartoons.

He is also really into board games and card games and it's great when he can play with DD. They especially love Sleeping Queens and must have played it 500 times the first week. It involves some math and I'm really impressed how good he is with it. Partly it's because DD talks about math at dinner sometimes (she likes us to ask her math problems) and he gets involved in the discussion. I never thought DD would be into math (I always hated it and I can't do mental math at all) but I think the way the schools teach it now is such an improvement. She had no clue when she started kindergarten, but then we didn't talk about math over dinner when she was in preschool! I'm also happy with Graham's reading. He started sounding out words at 3 and we would occasionally go through a Bob book with him but never pushed it. Recently I picked up a couple sets of Nora Gaydos' "Now I'm Reading!" books and highly recommend them over the Bob books. They have colorful pictures, and are more like the first readers DD got in kindergarten. They come with stickers to mark the book when they've read it as a reward. And they are hooked together like an album so they don't get spread all over the house. He has suddenly taken a leap from being able to sound out words that sound like they are spelled to figuring out words that don't. Not sure how that happened. DD didn't even know all her ABCs when she started kindergarten despite us trying to help her learn them. Luckily DD doesn't seem jealous, just proud of him. His writing is lagging way behind. We worked on writing his name on Valentines and that repetition really helped but he's just not interested in drawing or writing. I get a picture from him every once in a great while, but it doesn't compare to DD who spent every opportunity drawing and making art. We're not even sure if he's right or left handed yet.

Our babies are starting kindergarten!