Quantcast
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default Early 2010 Moms - Threes, Fours and More

I think this should be our last thread for many many years
    Any other early 2010 Moms, feel free to join.

We never updated the list when the March/April moms joined in. If you want a list, post your info and I'll come back in and create one. Otherwise, let's just move on from our previous thread.

I think I killed our thread!!

So I never had the terrible twos or trying threes with Payton. Her fours were pretty bad though! But OMG, Riley knows how to push my buttons. I wonder if I have less patience because there are two kids who need all this attention from me but she definitely has more mischief in her than Payton ever did.

I've been cutting out her nap so she'll go to bed at a reasonable time but today, I made her take one just so I could have peace and quiet to get a few things done. She'll be up late but at least DH will be home to diffuse the situation!

Boiler- No, you didn't kill it! haha. I've just been super-busy lately. We had the terrible twos early (from ~18months- 2yrs, and then a little break, and then again with a vengence from ~2.5-almost 3). 3 has been a lot better for us so far, but I am probably jinxing myself by saying that! Mine are fairly strong-willed, and have tempers, and of course get into a TON of mischief together! But I feel like in general things are getting so much easier (they are starting to understand consequences, listening better, staying with me better when we go out without the stroller, staying seated at the table during meals, just generally having more self-control, etc). That might also coincide with the fact that the weather is getting nicer and we've been spending hours outside almost every day burning off energy. This past winter was ROUGH between all the little illnesses and the bad weather. Ugh. But the past 2 months have been giving me hope that I am raising children instead of a couple of wild monkeys, lol!

I kind of play with the naps too. They've been napping ~4 days a week right now. It's not so bad to have them up late on the nights where the weather is nice and dh will be home, and I do like getting that break from them in the afternoon. We have a tot lot in our culdesac and there are a ton of kids in the neighborhood, so a lot of the dads were out with the kids after dinner this week. It was awesome! But if it's cold/rainy and I know dh will be working late, I will skip nap and put them to bed at 7pm!

Bug- Oh, too bad you are so far from Raleigh/Wilson! We could have tried to meet up for an early dinner or something.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Boiler, we are having issues too, but he is generally so much easier than ds 1 that I am really lax with him. Plus I see him as such a baby compared to his brother. I have trouble with two sometimes too, because it seems like someone always needs something and I just want them to stop asking! Eli was really good at school, but now he is getting in trouble with some of the other little boys. When it happened with my older son I was freaking out, but now I secretly think "they are three, of course they are going to wrestle" etc.

He hardly ever naps at home. Yesterday he napped at school but then was awake in his bed until 11pm!

We have huge issues with whining, even though we don't give in to it. He just asks for the same thing over and over and cannot wait patiently. It is like a nail in my skull.

So far, in the almost one month that DS has been 3, we are NOT enjoying 3. We had very little problem with 2, almost no terrible twos, but now that he his three he is throwing more temper tantrums and being more aggressive. I have started to do consequence discipline as well as time out, which he will still do. Today he hit me with Eeoyre, and as I was saying no and trying to deal with it, he said "Eeyore did it" and then "Wham Bam" hit me again with Eeyore! I hadn't even gotten out my response to the first hit. He immediately went to Time Out and then when that was over, I took Eeyore--which really upset him. He has mentioned him several times and I told him that he could get him back in the morning.

Gia--I could totally meet you in Raleigh at a museum or park or something. DS is a horrible eater, so dinner is not a good idea. I can do any day but Wed if you want.

Thanks for the new thread!

DS is way more mischievous than DD ever was, and way more aggressive. It's hard to know when to give time outs for hitting and things because if I did it every time he'd be in time out all day! He has taught DD how to hit and fight now too, something she never never did before! They have these girly slap fights and I have to really control myself so I look stern and don't laugh about it. Getting outside this summer will help so much with the excess energy, but it feels like it will never come! We just got like 7 more inches of snow a couple days ago! They've postponed our city spring clean up twice!

So far 3 has been easier for us than 2. 3 was definitely harder with DD, but DS seems to be a bit better about following directions and has more self control now, so it's been easier. I've been able to get lots of spring cleaning done and DS plays pretty nicely on his own, or helps or just talks to me while I do stuff. He and DD are playing together more all the time. He is still napping and I've actually never had naps disrupt my kids' nighttime sleep. I'll let them nap forever and they will still go to bed at the usual time. I figure if they nap longer than usual it's because they needed it. And boy, do I need it!
    Eve Eleanor arrived June 5, 2007
    Graham Alexander arrived February 27, 2010
    George Derek arrived October 17, 2014

So far, we haven't gone through any particular rough period with Nate. Millie was pretty miserable to be around when she was 3 and 4. She's definitely my button pusher, Nate not so much. I was very nervous leading up to Nate's 3rd birthday because of this, but my fears have been unfounded thus far, thank goodness. Nate is a huge whiner though. I feel like a broken record all day, "Nathan, use your nice voice. I can't understand you when you whine." Most of the time, he immediately switches over to his normal voice so he can get what he wants, but occasionally he'll whine "I caaaan't use my nice boyce, it's bwoken!!"

Napping- Nate still needs a nap most days, thank goodness! I wake him up between 4 and 4:30 so he doesn't have trouble falling asleep at night though.

Dave's grandfather passed away at the end of last week and the funeral is tomorrow. We're still debating whether to take the kids or not. They were not close to him at all; Millie has maybe met him 4-5 times in her 6 years. I don't think Nate would even know who he was. But if we don't take them, we don't have anyone to watch them since it's a work/school day, so that means I won't be there either (We will be taking them to the lunch after the ceremony/burial, so we'll be pulling DD from school for the day regardless). I do know their almost 4 year old cousin will be going, however she spends a lot more time with my ILs than we do. I don't want to freak Millie out unnecessarily... it would be one thing if it was her grandparent or if she was close with her great grandfather, you know?
    Betsy and Dave, married 10/18/03
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10

Betsy, Sorry about Dave's grandpa. Will the church have childcare? We took our kids to their g.grandma's funeral last summer and there were some ladies from that church that watched the kids in the nursery. Noah was okay with everything, and Eli didn't get it.

Betsy, sorry to hear about Dave's grandpa. What did you decide to do?

I think I had had a very bad day when I posted before. Riley certainly requires a ton of energy and constant attention. I think that's what gets me, you can't leave her alone or she's climbing into something, drawing on something (like my very $$$ dining room set..grrrr), purposely making messes, etc. I try to be consistent but I can't put her in time out all day long. But then when you are playing with her, she's so darn funny she'll keep you laughing for hours. Payton gets jealous because we laugh so much at Riley but I can't help it!

Boiler- My boys are always into things too. I feel bad when I hear other people let their 3 year olds have free-reign of the house, but I just can't. Mine stay in the (mostly) child-proofed kitchen/eating area and family room. They need constant, close attention if they are in other areas of the house other than their bedroom (and mostly constant attention even in the childproofed areas!) It can be exhausting. But they are also super-fun loving and have the most contagious laughs. They make friends everywhere they go. I swear if they weren't so charming I would have lost it by now!

Betsy- I am sorry about Dave's grandfather. That is a really tough call. Mike's uncle passed away recently and we were in a similar predicament (only bringing them in wasn't really an option for us b/c ours are so wild). We ended up choosing the evening wake hours so they would sleep in the car, and took turns going into the funeral home (MIL took at turn too). It was not ideal, but I really wanted to pay my respects too. Then just dh went to the funeral the next day. If your kids are the better behaved than mine, and you don't think it would freak your oldest out too bad, you could try bringing them in.

Bug- Oh, cool! I will send you a PM later this week!
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets