Quantcast
Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

McG, I don't see Austin in the pic!
    At 24w 4d my little boy...became an angel 11/7/07
    Rainbow baby arrived 12/6/09!

Added a dash of PINK 4/9/11

Cute video Mcgwigan - my speaker isn't working but he had a super guilty look on his face!

Phew - I finally have a free minute to post. DH has been out of town this week. I actually cried after he left Monday morning. Mostly because I was tired and had been up since 3am but I was really worried about how I was going to juggle everything. Miraculously both kids napped at the same time on Monday. That will probably never happen again but wow did I need that. I was mostly worried about bath/bedtime because DD is always needy at that time. Monday I had our babysitter come over and last night DD slept through dinner and then DS said he didn't want to take a bath - no problem with me!

I feel like I have such a hard time balancing both of their needs. I always feel like I'm neglecting one of them. DD is an awesome night sleeper (sleeps 8 hours and then eats and sleeps another 2) but she's not a great napper. I guess that's the price I pay for getting good sleep at night! Thankfully DS has been mostly ok with me giving more attention to the baby. And as soon as she's asleep I always put her down somewhere so I can focus on him.

DS is becoming such a grazer. Are any of your kids like that? He's constantly going in the pantry and getting random snacks. Sometimes healthy and sometimes not. But then he isn't eating dinner very well at all. He used to be a huge eater and lately it seems like he barely eats his dinner. We went out yesterday so I could try to find some new snacks for the pantry. I'm thinking about portioning them out in little baggies so he can help himself and I can keep an eye on what and how much he's eating. Today I came downstairs after putting the baby down and he had a huge container of raisins in his lap.

Hailey's kind of always been a grazer - she rarely eats full meals, but if you leave food out she'll kind of snack on it all day long. It's annoying and has resulted on a dog on the table more than once (BAD DOG!!).
    CPW - 05/07/07 & HBW - 10/26/09

poca I thought I had edited it- you have to click on the picture to see the video -sorry!

diam I was asking him if he had candy! LOL!

Don't feel bad about neglecting someone or other -they are going to guilt trip you as much as they can!! Wyatt used to have a bath every night until Austin was born -Austin would scream during bathtime and there were times he'd be in his little bouncy seat in the bathroom and I *had* to be helping Wyatt since he wasn't even 2 yet so I had no choice but to let the newborn cry ( I think dealing with the toddler meltdown would be worse since they can last for.ever!) Not they have a bath minimally once a week -sometimes more, but I cut right back on the nightly bath routine!
    Last edited by mcgwigan; 04-03-2013 at 11:08 AM.

I had to save to see what else I was wanting to reply to since I forgot!

DS is becoming such a grazer. Are any of your kids like that? He's constantly going in the pantry and getting random snacks. Sometimes healthy and sometimes not. But then he isn't eating dinner very well at all. He used to be a huge eater and lately it seems like he barely eats his dinner. We went out yesterday so I could try to find some new snacks for the pantry. I'm thinking about portioning them out in little baggies so he can help himself and I can keep an eye on what and how much he's eating. Today I came downstairs after putting the baby down and he had a huge container of raisins in his lap.
    YES! Austin was always our good eater and now -not so hot. He does like snacks and lately it seems like I've barely been able to get him to come to the table for dinner. Oddly enough he loves meat so I can usually get him to eat some meat, but then he won't touch anything else. I just find the meat preference in the little guy weird -I think pork chops are his favorite right now! I try to keep the bad snacks out of reach from him -this is becoming more & more challenging because he finds a way to everything!

Isabella doesn't get her own snacks, that probably helps. Occasionally she will go to the pantry and get something and ask if she can have it, but usually I will say she has to have fruit first, b/c I'm fun like that. Lately she hasn't been doing much snacking, but she used to be a huge snacker. I did notice it had a huge impact on her dinner eating, so I cut back some and she just lost interest. But sometimes it pops back up. She mostly likes "crunchy snacks" but I've cut back on buying a wide variety, so often if I don't have something crunchy, she will just pass on having a snack. To me that means she is more bored than hungry so I don't really worry about it.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

diam: Don't feel too bad- they will both be fine, and it does get easier! I know people say you are supposed to tend to the toddler over the baby, but that's not always possible, and I always made a point of telling DD that she had to wait, be patient, etc. I thought it was a good lesson in patience, and that the world does not always revolve around her, which first kids tend to think since it DID revolve around them until the baby came!

As for grazing, yes, Ella would snack all.day.long. so we just reinstituted the no snacking policy. It helps TREMENDOUSLY with getting her to eat at meals. You can't always follow through because there are just days where I will jump in front of a moving car if I hear her whine one more time, "I'm huuuuuuuungry", but I try to be strong. So she eats breakfast (but that can take up to 1.5 hours so I guess it's kind of like snacking), then no snacks until lunch. Lunch around noon. Nap until about 3:30. I try to take them immediately to the park after naps so they forget to ask for food, then we eat early (by 5:30). If we stay home in the afternoon, I usually will let them have something small like a fruit squeezer, banana or bowl of green beans.

ETA: Regarding getting their own food...I don't know if any of you read that book about how French children eat (they never snack and eat everything presented to them), but they do NOT allow their children to even open the refrigerator. Ella can't open the pantry because of a child lock, but she will try to open the refrigerator, which is absolutely prohibited unless she asks for permission first.
    Last edited by taffers; 04-03-2013 at 11:34 AM.

ETA: Regarding getting their own food...I don't know if any of you read that book about how French children eat (they never snack and eat everything presented to them), but they do NOT allow their children to even open the refrigerator. Ella can't open the pantry because of a child lock, but she will try to open the refrigerator, which is absolutely prohibited unless she asks for permission first.
    Well, I can see the logic in that, but if my 5yo wants to help himself to a bowl of cereal when he gets up at 6am, I'd much rather him do that than wake ME up to get it for him!

I should instill a no snacking rule, but I am weak! On the weekends they usually don't have a snack from breakfast until lunch -but I give them lunch on the early side -11 or 12ish. Then I will give Austin a snack when he gets up from nap because it's really a long time to go. Their typical day during the week is wake up around 6am. Wyatt has a bowl of cereal & Austin usually has a piece of toast, then they have breakfast at DC at 8am. Wyatt has snack in school at 10:30 and DC also has a snack midmorning. Then they have lunch around 12:30, then a snack around 3:00 after naptime. We usually eat dinner on the early side, so by 5:30 -I don't have too much of an issue if they don't eat much for dinner, because it seems that they eat a TON during the day. However, if they don't eat dinner I won't give them any sort of a sweet snack afterwards like a cookie or anything. They'll generally get somethink like a peanut butter sandwich and that's it.

I started that book but I didn't finish it. I get the concept, but that was never Isabella. She has always been picky, regardless of what she is offered and how many times. She still doesn't eat any meat and she has been offered meat literally hundreds of times. Eh. She would rather eat double broccoli instead of meat, so I figure there are probably worse things. I don't let her get her own snacks b/c she would gorge herself on goldfish, or cereal.

We eat dinner late (about 7pm) so I do offer a snack after nap typically, but it's usually fruit or (if we are out) dried fruit or raisins. I try to give something that will take the edge off but not be incredibly filling.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Quote Originally Posted by laura
    Occasionally she will go to the pantry and get something and ask if she can have it, but usually I will say she has to have fruit first, b/c I'm fun like that. .
    DS would eat fruit all day every day if I let him. He will open the fridge and get apples, blueberries or those little babybel cheeses. Once melon is back in season I'm sure he'll help himself to that too.