Quantcast
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thanks for the tips everyone. I went to a local running store today and had a gait analysis done and ordered a pair of shoes. He gave me some pointers on my running form but I just hope I can use his advice when I'm actually running.

I did a race last week with some friends - an untimed 5K that included a dance lesson every mile - weird but fun. They were so much faster than me it inspired me to work on my speed. I'm going to try starting the C25K over again, doing it faster this time. I did the first run today and really pushed myself for the 60 second runs. If I can get my 5K time to below 30 minutes I think I'll feel better about racing with this group of friends again. That's a big step, but hopefully I can do it!

I did Shape's Diva Dash yesterday - It wasn't a full 5K as advertised (I got a Garmin watch for my birthday - love it! So even though the race wasn't timed, I wanted to time myself and see the distance) - The obstacles were fun but not particularly challenging - except one where I almost fell flat on my face. I am looking forward to doing more obstacle races next summer, but in the meantime I've got a real 5K in 2 weeks and a 6.66 race at the end of October. I miss racing!
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Well I finished week 1! I was happy that I increased my speed each time even though it was significantly hotter today. I don't know how anyone runs in the summer heat! I start week 2 tomorrow.

I am working on finishing up week 6 now and things are going great! I never would have believed 6 weeks ago that I could run for this long. My next run is the 20 minute run and I'm a little concerned because I have to take DD with me in her stroller (on weekends I run by myself and it is SO much easier). My normal course has some tough hills but it's within walking distance from my house. I think I'm going to have to drive over to a flat trail for the longer runs with DD until I get a little stronger. I signed up for my first 5k in 3 weeks.

I did all of my training on a completely flat surface (a bike trail) - I can fit in a 5K in my neighborhood, but that is all - plus by driving to the bike trail I ran with a friend - she trained for her whole 1/2 marathon on the bike trail because she knew the 1/2 was totally flat. I figure if I need to drive somewhere to get mileage in, I might as well go somewhere where I don't have to worry about traffic. Though I do need to find a place to do hill sprints next spring.

I am signed up for a 6.66 race in 2 weeks - I am not 100% sure I am going to do it. I ran 6.22 today for the first time in almost 2 months - I felt good about it, but so much has come up on race day that it really would throw off our schedule for me to do it - I think it will be a last minute (ie night before) decision on whether I actually race or not - if I don't I will get up that Sunday and still run 6.66 miles. But there is something just so exhilarating about wearing the bib.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

I had a huge breakthrough today. It is week 8 day 2 and while I've been running on a flat bike path the last few weeks I decided to do the hilly trail by my house today. As the weather gets colder there are fewer people on the bike path and it's really deserted so I just don't feel 100% safe running there. Anyway, it was 40 degrees out and I had the baby, but I ran the entire loop and then some because it is just a 3 mile trail. I couldn't believe it. I NEVER thought I would be able to do that. I signed up for a 5k in one week.

That's awesome Diam!!!! Great job. I love those "I never thought I could" moments.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

I've finally been cleared to run again. It's been 9 months since my last run - I got plantar fasciatis from trying to do speed work and it's finally cleared up after PT and orthotics. I"m also in PT for a shoulder injury so I'm trying to take it slow thought too much arm pumping.

My first "run" isn't much to brag about - I did one minute of running 5 times with 90 seconds of walking in between. But at least I got those running shoes on my feet and did SOMETHING

Bump. In what I can only assume was a wine-induced haze brought on at a GNO Friday night, I committed to train with my friend for her son's 5k on May 7. He's 6 and joining a running club at school and at the end is a 5k and the parents have to run with their kid. I'm going to need all the help I can get as I have never run before. Seriously, I think running is something you do if you are late for a plane or being chased by a killer, so I'm in deep...
    Suggestions? help?. I'm going to go back and read the thread and do online research but I'd appreciate any advice for a non-runner.

ETA, I haven't fully committed to the race but I said I'd think about it. I must be out of my mind.