Quantcast
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm starting couch to 5K - anyone want to join me?

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieR View Post
    Thanks for that thought, Jessey! That totally makes sense. I just thought if I could graduate to running on the treadmill instead of walking that I could burn more calories eventually.
    You definitely can build up to lots of calorie burning - that was part of why I first tried C25K because walking 3 miles took so much time and I didn't want all my "me time" to be spent on the treadmill.

I have got to figure out how to lose weight and exercise at the same time. In the 9 months I trained to hike Mt Rainier I gained 20 lbs, and when I did C25K I gained about 10 - both times I think I was adding in more calories than I was burning.

Last night I did the first night of this on-line bootcamp and I wasn't overly impressed with the amount of work we were doing - they had us move our arms a ton which got my heart rate going, but overall it was only like 20 minutes. And the fact that I was working out after my kids went to bed for the first time EVER, I decided to jump on the treadmill and just run a mile. I was pretty psyched I did it! I never have run very fast (my PR for a 5K is like 38 minutes) - But my problem is I get so bored so easily. That is why I never could do a marathon or even a 1/2 marathon - too much time commitment.

Tonight will be a fitness test for my bootcamp (my first planks ever) and then on to Week 3 of C25K tomorrow.

The app really does help. The first time I tried to do C25K I dont think I finished 2 weeks because I had a searing pain in my neck and I figured it was because I was constantly looking down at the treadmill to see if it was time to switch.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

I'll join . I've started running bc I got bored with my other cardio options. I didn't do the C25K but I work out 5-6 days a week. DH had a fitness challenge at his work a little over a week ago which included running 7 miles non-stop. I decided at the last minute to join him and we ran the whole thing together in 1 hour 12 minutes. I couldn't believe it! It helped that it was outside and it was cold so I never got hot and sweaty. I haven't ran since though bc I could barely walk for 4 days afterwards. I tried running again about a week later and my calves immediately said "f$&@ you!" And I had to stop. Lol. So I'm going to gym with DH tonight and I'm gonna try to bust out 4 miles.

I'll be following along here as cheering you all on. Running that 7 mikes felt like a HUGE accomplishment. I couldn't wait to stop but once I was done I wanted to start looking for races. LOL. I'll tell you though I could never do it when it was warm out.
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

Bensgirl that is an awesome accomplishment! My ultimate goal is a 10k before my big 40 which is next year.
    Married 5/19/02
    Our Prince 1/14/09

Thanks number lady! I think it helped that I couldn't just stop, you know? I had to get back to our car somehow. LOL
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

I'm reading along. I'm not going to join the C25K because I'm already a runner of that distance but I'm routing for you ladies.
    I have a Shamrock 10k this weekend. I ran really well last week but over the weekend it was painful, I think PMS was playing a role. I can never run well when I'm PMS'ing. I did 6 mi of 1/4mi run walk intervals on Mon and that's the last I'm doing until the race Sat so my body will be recharged. That's a mjor dial back for me, I rarely go that many days without the gym but I know if I step foot in there I'll hop in the treadmill so best to avoid.
    Good luck ladies!
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

Doh! I was supposed to be starting this week! I will be running outside with a jogging stroller. We had snow over the weekend and it is freezing out today. I'm sorry- I am just not that hardcore and I have no cold weather running clothes! I DO want to start though, so if the weather warms up a bit, I will be joining you all soon.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

I was out of town this weekend and DH said he'd do my run with me (he's a distance runner). It had snowed and was below freezing and he comes down after breakfast in his running clothes ready to go. I didn't want to look like a wuss so I went I NEVER run in the winter, which is part of my problem, but it was okay. The only problem was that with the 60 second run/90 second walk I was frozen ever time we had to walk. But I did it. And will never do it again!

Join us next week Gia!!

This extended winter is so discouraging! But I just finished day two of week two and it's going okay. I'm trying to make sure I do a good pace so the last running interval today was a bit rough, but I finished it. Hopefully I can fit a run in on Saturday morning so I can finish week two.

Please tell me it will warm up soon!

The extended winter is definitely making it a little harder to get motivated (though I am currently doing it on the treadmill, but the darker mornings coupled with too much snow, it's been harder to wake up) -I've already pushed my timetable out a week - This morning I did W3D3, when usually on Thursdays I would be on Day 2 of a week, so I'll start W4 on Saturday and then do an extra day or 2 of it before I jump into Week 5. I also feel like i haven't gotten my breathing back on track - so easily i can get distracted thinking about what I need to do that day that I don't breathe right and that throws everything off.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

I'm going to have to wait a couple more weeks. My kids have parties at school Monday then they are off Thursday and the next Monday. I feel like they've hardly been in school at all in March! My plan was to run Mondays and Thursdays after I drop them off and then Saturdays or Sundays when DH is home. So maybe the first week of April will be good for me to start.
    DD Feb '08
    DS June '11
    DD Jan '15