Quantcast
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default I'm starting couch to 5K - anyone want to join me?

I've decided to do the couch to 5k - I really need to get some sort of commitment to fitness going and I think this is what I need. I just downloaded a free app to make it easier.

Anyone interested in joining me? The couch to 5K starts out with just 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking - repeat for 20 minutes. Here's a link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Thought it would be nice to have a thread where we could motivate each other for the next 9 weeks!

I just want to say good luck! I did it last summer and it was awesome. I had a different podcast I used that I
    recommend called 5K101. It's recorded by a live person and he's really encouraging to listen to - a mix of music and his encouraging words. I find it more motivating to listen to than the cool runnings. Just a thought. Have fun with it!
    K&K 10.5.02
    E 3.8.05
    M 6.24.09

I have been thinking about doing this. I need any "gimmick" to try to get back in shape.
    Married 5/19/02
    Our Prince 1/14/09

I think I'd like to do it! I've been wanting to do something and need some accountability from others. I can't start until next week though when my kids go back to MDO so I can have some time to do it. The last time I did this I think I lasted a month and got sick and stopped. I thought about doing the 30 day shred, too, but I like the Couch to 5K!
    DD Feb '08
    DS June '11
    DD Jan '15

I am tentatively joining. I will need to check one of the tires on my jogging stroller (it looks flat) so assuming I can take care of that quickly, I'm good to start next week too! I used to be a runner, but have not been exercising with any regularity lately (unless you count chasing active toddlers... ) so I think this is a great place to (re)start.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

I just wanted to recommend Running Into Shape as another option for the weekly podcasts. She has a hip hop mix and I think recently added a classic rock mix as well.

I started C25K about 2 years ago and made it to week 6. I recently picked it up again, and as before I stalled out at week 6. The longer runs (20-25 minutes at a time), I just can't seems to tackle. Right now I can do about 12-13 minutes at once.

But I highly recommend the program and I went from barely making it to the end of the block to running 12 min at a time. For me its was a great tool to use when I didn't have access to a gym. It's a small success for me!

Tentatively sticking my toe in...

I have been thinking about trying this for years now, but never do. I even have the C25K app on my phone. lol I really, really need to do something. I went to the Y once last week and walked on the treadmill for an hour and haven't been back since. I so want to drop 60lbs by next Feb as we are planning a kid free trip somewhere warm to celebrate our 10yr and my 40th. I don't want to be a runner necessarily, though... I just want to lose weight! Is that okay to admit? lol

I started C25K over last week.

In Fall 2011 I did the whole program and ran 3 5Ks - albeit very slowly (around 38 minutes). I loved running, but then we decided to move and I had a ton of work to do to sell the old house, so I stopped all together and gained a lot of weight.

Just a word of warning, doing the C25K alone (ie no other exercise) is not going to make you loose a ton of weight - the first 4-5 weeks you are doing a lot of walking. It is a great program to get running slowly (I have a history of shin splints and plantar fascitis so I am wary about jumping in too fast) - I never had run a mile in my life! But it isn't a big calorie burner. So this time I am planning on cross training as well with my stationary bike, Step, and weight lifting.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Thanks for that thought, Jessey! That totally makes sense. I just thought if I could graduate to running on the treadmill instead of walking that I could burn more calories eventually.

Yay - we've got a running group! I used to run (slowly and I hated it), but I keep getting injuries. I'm hoping this will help me. DH and I are doing the warrior dash in June (5K obstacle course) and while he's a fast runner he said he would run with me, but I want to make sure I can actually run it. I've also been in therapy for my shoulder for the last two months, so I've done nothing other than curl once a week, and I'm not sure curling really counts as exercise

I did the first run today - 5 minute warm up, run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds. It felt good to be moving again. I ran inside at the gym since it's cold and rainy outside. I love using an app since you don't have to look at a watch, it just beeps and tells you what to do.

My plan is to do it again on Wednesday, and then probably on Saturday.