Quantcast
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on a new puppy

Thanks, guys.
    The crate is small/medium. I think it's the right size but she's young. She also peed in her crate downstairs. That one is adjustable but again, I think it's the right size.

Thanks for the reminder on the can, garden. I had a passing memory of that from Sadie this am but it left me immediately in my exhausted stupor. I will make one this afternoon.

I ultimately let her out of the crate after 40 minutes and constant barking. Took her outside and brought her back. I washed her mat and crate and we are in my office. She is asleep on the floor. I really want to lay down...Might try it and see what happens.

She sounds really lonely. I'm not a fan of startling a dog to change its behavior (to each his own). What we did about puppy crying was tell him "quiet" and give him a treat when he was quiet. He soon learned that being quiet was a good thing.

Success! She slept in her crate last night. Fell asleep with very little whining and stopped quickly with a "quiet." Woke up at 11, whined and went back to sleep. Woke up at 4:30 and I took her out - she peed. She was a little whiney/yappy from then until 6:30 when we got up and she pooped in her crate but it was still a MAJOR improvement over night 1.

Today, she has actually asked to go out and peed 3x outside and pooped once. Progress!!

However...she did major poop on our family room carpet last night while I was out. I'm so bummed because I was waiting for DH to come home to help me roll it up until she's PT'd. We missed it by about 1.5 hours.

She is also hilarious. She has figured out where her food is and keeps going to the pantry door and crying to get to it. Typical lab.

And now she is peacefully napping in her downstairs crate. I might survive this yet!

Sounds like improvement! Hooray! When are we going to see a picture of her??

I'd like to see a picture, too! My DD and I have been hoping to get a dog--likely a puppy--at some point but so far we haven't convinced DH. I've only ever owned cats (although all of my family members have dogs), so it's interesting to hear your experience.
    Wife: August, 2002 ~ LJ ~ Mother: May, 2005

I will try to post a pic on Monday. I can tell she's already grown. so sad!!

Dally - I honestly believe that dogs (pets, maybe) make a house a home. I know for sure the last 18 months since we lost our previous dog have been less happy for me. I love having this other little being in the house that makes us all laugh and we are all equally responsible for. Most of it falls to me but we are all capable of doing something for the dog. Interestingly, those same 18 months have been the worst career-wise for DH, too. No idea if there's a correlation but it is interesting timing.

Last night, we put her in the crate at 10:30 or so, she gave a little whimper and went to sleep. DH and I heard her scuffling at 4:30 so he took her out, she went pee, back in the crate. Tiny whimper and back to sleep. I woke up at 6:45 and could hear her shuffling. I got up and got ready (brush teeth, wash face, contacts, bathroom, change clothes) and she stayed quietly in her crate until I got her out, probably 7 minutes, even though she could see and hear me. It was way earlier than I want to get up on a Saturday but I want her to be successful.

I was getting her food ready and she was super excited right there with me then she gave a little whine and ran to the back door. I let her out and she peed immediately. Hallelujah!!!

She had a couple of yucky accidents yesterday after the girls got home and she was on their watch (and once on DH's watch) but I'm optimistic. Speaking of DH, he is in LOVE. He sat on the sofa watching tv with her snuggled up in his lap last night and today he and ODD went to the pet store and bought her a new toy and chewy. It's so cute to watch.

Skye was spayed today. She's so sad in her cone of shame. She continues to win hearts wherever she goes. The vet tech told me that as they were getting ready to do the surgery, everyone was asking why they were doing it as they all wanted one of her puppies.