Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

I feel like We are pretty well equipped for a dog...we have 3 acres so lots of room to roam and play with him( ill just call this fictitious dog a him for ease) we have several large areas in our house that would accommodate crate training well if we went that route, We have an awesome pet lodge that we have used in the oast for vacation pet care that i really likke and trust. plus i am a SAHM with a fairly flexible schedule so I think finding the time for walks and training will not be a huge issue. I DO understand that the dog care will fall to me 99% regardless of how well I try to involve our kids...

Honestly one of my biggest concerns is the weather here. This winter has been fairly mild, but there are times when it snows several feet. Also our town has very few sidewalks and the ones that are present very rarely haves shoveled walks in the winter....so I'm not sure how I would adequately walk Him in the bad winter times.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I need to approach this as if we are bringing a newborn into the house...someone who will need 24-7 care for quite a while. I think maybe waiting a year until my youngest is in full day kinder might be a better idea...plus more time to do more research. But please continue with the advice and stories!

I think with a lot your size that maybe an invisible fence would be the way to go -then the dog can go out to run without worries of if the sidewalks are cleared for walking in the winter. Just FYI -when we got our invisble fence it was a one price deal -there was no limit on the amount of line used, so we actually have it around most of our property, which is about 3 acres. It's great because she can go where the kids go-with the exception of the woods-as she learned to do her business far enough away that we don't have to clean up poop out of the yard!

I think with a lot your size that maybe an invisible fence would be the way to go -then the dog can go out to run without worries of if the sidewalks are cleared for walking in the winter. Just FYI -when we got our invisble fence it was a one price deal -there was no limit on the amount of line used, so we actually have it around most of our property, which is about 3 acres. It's great because she can go where the kids go-with the exception of the woods-as she learned to do her business far enough away that we don't have to clean up poop out of the yard!
    Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay? My friend just paid close to $4k for an invisible fence and that is way out of my price range right now.
    A&K 05.18.02
    Baby Girl 09.06.05... Angel Baby Oct 2007... Baby Girl 10.21.08
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Ours was $1800 - I'm quite certain. There were 2 companies that I got pricing from -Invisible Fence brand and I can not remember the name of the other company. To be honest I would have saved a bit to go with the other company but DH was home when the Invisible Fence guy was there and he'll pretty much agree to anything someone is selling, so we ended up signing on with them that day. They were really good with training and follow-ups. We've also had them come back to repair the fence -DH is constantly cutting the wire for it! Repair was around $150 I think for the time they came back for that. I'd call around for different companies -see if your Vet has any sort of coupons. I've also known quite a few people who have bought a kit from Walmart or BL's and installed their own with success.

ETA: I think we got ours about 5 years ago, so pricing may be a bit more now but 4K seems steep!

I second (or third?) getting an older dog. We lost our lab, Taylor, 2 years ago. DD was only 2 and not potty trained yet and so we held off on getting another dog right away. After a couple of years, we started to think it was time for another dog and we started looking at rescues. Both my DH and I WOH and we just knew that a puppy wouldn't get the time he/she would need. We ended up rescuing a 13-month old male yellow lab last May. While Buddy is younger than I wanted, I was hoping for about 2 or so, he came completely housetrained, knew to use our doggy door and had most basic commands down. He gets 2-3 walks per day during our milder months and in the summer we go at 5 am and 8 pm so it isn't too hot.
    C & B - 5.13.06
    DD - 9.15.07
    My LJ

We have a 10 week puppy and it is worse than a baby IMO. Between the wakings at 10, 12, 2, and 6, the inability to leave for more than 2 hours, and the general filth he has brought, I really wish we had an older dog. FWIW, we were on the list for rescue organization and the only dog under 2 that has been up for adoption has been rated not good with kids and cats.

He is cute at least?!

Here we go! Brought home Skye last night.
    The trip was supposed to be 1.5 hours but I had to drive in a windy rainy storm and it took 4 hours to get to her. Thankfully, just 1.5 to get home.

She was super stinky so I gave her a bath in the sink as soon as we got home. Took her out and she pooped outside but on our door mat. Whatever, it was outside. She wouldn't pee. She cried every 2 hours in her crate (next to my bed) and peed in it. I didn't really know what to do. I took her out at 2:40 am but didn't say anything except "potty" and then she cried off and on for an hour back in her crate and was up again at 5:45 when we all got up with her. She's pooped and peed in the house and peed outside once (for which you would've thought she saved the world with the praise I gave her). I ran her hard and she finally fell asleep ON me. I decided to put her in her crate downstairs (she has 2: one for sleeping in our room and one for when we are out, downstairs). I am silent on my computer upstairs and she has been yapping for 10 minutes.

I assume it's like CIO with a baby? Suffer through a few nights and she'll be good?? I know I need to get her to go potty before I put her to bed but honestly, I was so spent last night, I just needed to get her in there.

She is 15 weeks old and has spent time being trained in a kennel, sit, come, stay, down. The breeder told me yesterday when we got her "she's stubborn and has broken some records" with regards to her barking in the crate. Yikes!!

bloom I'm sure she's lonely and missing the rest of the litter. Can you get her one of those stuffed animals that make womb noises to see if she would settle a bit more? It might take you several tries to find something that she would like - cozy blanket, stuffed toy, etc. Good luck! I can't remember what we did with our puppy - I think we had her in a crate in our mudroom so we could shut the door instead of suffering through all the whining.

How big is her crate? I only ask because our puppy peed in his crate a few times when we first brought him home because it was just too large...once we made it smaller he never did it again.

Our trainer taught us to use a shake shake can (not sure what the technical term for this is) but it is a barking deterrent. We used it for about a week when we first brought him home and now only use it occasionally when the neighbors gardener gets him barking.

Good luck though! What an exhausting endeavor!

I am not sure the crate is right for all dogs, just like CIO is not right for all kids. That said, Pepper cried the first night. The second night was better. By night three se was fine. She also knew from day 2 that yummy treats are in the crate and only in the crate. She is super receptive to food rewards.

Puppies are a rollercoaster. Cogrtualtions!