Quantcast

Thread: Fitbit?

Default Fitbit?

Anyone have a Fitbit? Has it been useful in losing weight? If so, how?

I need some motivation to cut back on my eating so I can lose the last bit of weight. Might this be a helpful tool? I'm also interested in the sleep tracking aspect. How does the Fitbit help you improve your sleep habits (a claim I've heard or read on their description on Amazon)?

I live my fit bit. I've been using it since January and it really helps keep me motivated to get in a certain number of steps a day. I don't use it for food tracking, I use My Fitness Pal for that. I had been using that for a long time before I got the fit bit and didn't want to change. I have heard that fit bit doesn't have as large a food database as my fitness pal, no first hand knowlege, just what I've heard.

I don't have the model that tracks sleep, but it looks cool. From what I understand it keeps track of "restfull" sleep periods and times when you aren't really getting the full benifits of sleep. Also keeps track of bed time and wake up time. I could see how you could use that to determine if you go to bead earlier, maybe you get more "restfull" periods than if you go to bed later.

I had been using a regular pedometer for a while before switching to the fit bit. The best thing for me is not having to remember to record my info before bed. IT stores the info and syncs to your computer when you get close to it. So much easier for me.

I've used Bodymedia fit and it does help to motivate you. Mine tracked my sleep and I was amazed at how poorly I was sleeping. I started sleeping better and that helped the weight come off too.

I stopped using it because I was pregnant. I'm going to start using it again now to help me sleep and to increase my activity.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

I just recently got a FitBit One, I have had it 2 weeks now...and I love it. I am currently using it for motivation to get my butt moving...increasing my use of stairs, and generally getting in more walking.

I have been wearing it at night (they give you a wristband with it), although I question the 'tracking your sleep' claim, essentially what it does it indicates when you are moving in your sleep...it doesn't necessarily mean you are awake. And I'm honestly not sure how that helps improve your sleep habits, maybe I just haven't figured that out.....BUT it has this nifty feature that I do love....a silent alarm. You set the alarm, wear your FitBit and in the morning instead of the obnoxious sound of an alarm clock, the FitBit vibrates to wake you up. It is supposed to be a nicer way to wake up and I love it.

I have also heard it syncs with MyFitnessPal for a better improved food tracking system. But I recently just paid for 3 months of WeightWatchers, so I've been using that now and will probably switch over to MyFitnessPal when my subscription is up.

All that being said...I have been averaging losing 2 lbs a week since I started using WW and Fitbit.

PS. One of the biggest things you have to be careful with is to not lose the FitBit....it is pretty small and the community forums mention alot of lost FitBits, which would be extremely sad if you shelled out all that money and then lost it.

Old thread, but does anyone currently hanging out on CC have a Fitbit? I'm trying to decide between the Fitbit and the Jawbone, but I don't know much about why I should choose one over the other. I have a HRM that syncs to my phone and MFP that works fine, but I like the idea of wearing a "bracelet" and not having to worry about putting it on or taking it off or forgetting to start the app on my phone when I begin a workout, etc. I also like the idea of tracking my sleep because I'm always tired and I know I'm not getting enough sleep. Would lot to hear thoughts/experiences.

I don't have a fitbit, but I recently got Garmin's version and I love it. I wanted to get the fitbit that displayed the # of steps, but that is the one that they recalled because of the band. I need to see the actual # of steps, which the lesser version of fitbit doesn't have. My friend did get the $99 fitbit last week and she loves it. It syncs to her iphone with bluetooth (as does my Garmin) so she can just hit the sync button and look on her phone to see how many steps she's taken. A lot of people I know who have a fitbit like to be in competition with their friends as an additional motivator to get yoursteps in.

The Garmin version shows a redline with an hour on inactivity and then a shorter line with each additional 15 minutes, up to 2 hours. So it definitely is a good motivator to get off my butt. It tracks my sleep if I remember to hit the button, but I am not exactly sure what i am supposed to do with that information. My friend's fitbit does explicitly show that she was having "disruptive" sleep. but at the same time, she lay there for 1/2 an hour not moving but wide away and it showed her as being asleep.

The other main reason I picked the Garmin is because I have a Garmin watch for running so both devices sync to the same app.

I wish my Garmin did track # of stairs because that would motivate me to go up and down the stairs at work, but instead I just walk in loops around my floor once an hour.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

Thanks, jessey! Now you just threw another option out at me! lol

Leslie I have a Fitbit. SIL got it for me for Xmas.

I like it although I've not been wearing it for the last month, I'm not entirely sure why. I took it off to charge it and well, it never went back on. Anyway, I really like it - definitely makes me think more about taking extra steps, etc. I think mine is the Flex so it's not the fanciest version.

Mine is set to 10K steps a day and vibrates when I hit it. I really should re-charge it and get it back on my wrist.