Quantcast
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Reporting back...

So I was getting better and BOOM I got that stupid sinus crazy cold thing that last weeks. So I basically had to start all over when I could drag myself out of bed.

But here is my issue now. Running on the treadmill is exponentially easier than running outside. Does anyone find this to be the case??? I don't get what is going on? So for example, yesterday on the treadmill, I ran 23 of 30 minutes (so walked only 7!) by running 11 minutes straight than for the rest walking 1 min and running 3 mins. This is a .5 incline and 5.0 speed.

BUT, if I try to run outside (always the same trail), I can barely run for a minute or two, and I can ONLY run when the trail is at a slight decline (you know how a road looks stright, but it's actually a very slight incline- that is how our trail is- slight incline going and slight decline coming home). So I run from my house to our gate (which is a clear decline and about 90 seconds), then I walk the ENTIRE trail (about 1.5 miles) out and then try to run part and walk part of the way back, but I feel SO out breath after only running for about a minute! Like really really out of breath. And this is a slight decline! WTF?!

Is a treadmill really THAT much easier? Do you think it could be the outside air or something? I cannot figure it out. I want to be able to run outside so DH and I can start doing races together.

I miss the days when I was younger...and thinner...and in shape...and could run an hour at a time!

No, a treadmill really is that much easier. It propels you with its movement vs having to do it all yourself.

Ugh! I knew the treadmill is easier since it "helps" you, but when I used to run everyday, running outside wasn't that much harder for me. This stinks!

mcg- regarding a weight machine... I'd probably just get a bench and then free weights (3, 5, 8, 10, 15lbs to start with). You don't really need machines and a lot of trainers say free weights are better anyway.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

I agree about the weight machine. When I've done a lot of weight training, I was fine with my bench and the exact weights Gia listed above.

My "home" gym consists of a treadmill, stationary bike (old mountain bike in a trainer), Step (I still move my old Step videos), free weights, medicine ball, jump rope, birthing ball, and boxing gloves. When I get back into weight training I want to add kettles and a punching bag.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

taffers- yes, agreed the treadmill is totally easier and I'm OK with that. I feel like outside I have a hard time pacing myself and I may go faster (and wear quicker) than on the treadmill which totally paces you. Also, our portion of the development is a total valley so I am surrounded by nothing steep hills. So I walk up the big hills (or "hike" it feels like - still a good butt work out!) and then run down hill and then run the small loop of somewhat flat road.

But I can run 12 min at a time on the treadmill and maybe 6-8 outside.

Expanded explanation on treadmill versus running outside. Saw this a couple of days ago and forgot to answer.

When one runs on a treadmill, the surface and incline is always exactly the same, so one's muscles and cadence easily adjust to a completely repetitive motion. When one runs outside, even if the surface seems flat, it's not, so your legs and feet have to constantly adjust, in thousands of miniscule ways. Plus your brain has to work harder as you watch where you are; your environment, etc. If you are used to running outside - or constantly switch back and forth between treadmill and outside - you have "trained up" to the extra exertion caused by running outside and don't even notice it. But going from almost exclusively treadmil to outside can be quite an adjustment. One technique is to run slightly slower outside, but attempt the same distance as on the treadmill.

I just started working out. I am completely out of shape! And, starting from ground zero.

How long before the soreness goes away from the workouts? I could use a full body massage now.

Also, since I'm just starting out, what are some things to start with Or to do?

fyi - the last few days, I've been fast walking around the track for 30 min.(I'm NOT a runner). Last night, I did the stationary bike for 30min..

How long before the soreness goes away from the workouts?
    When you're first starting an exercise program, your muscles will reach their peak soreness about 48 hours after the workout. That doesn't mean you have to wait until the soreness goes away before working out again, but you may want to vary your workout (alternate muscle groups, or alternate type of cardio you're doing) so that you're not hitting the same group of muscles over and over.

I've always found mixing yoga/pilates into my workout is a wonderful way to tone/strengthen and get some flexibility and stretching benefits as well.

Keep up the good work!

thank you. Today will be day four. Well, I could always use some toning & some strengthening. My core is weak & I've put on more weight. uugh. I'm REALLY out of shape & I have a feeling I'll be sore for a good week or so. I'm sure I could also find some yoga/pilates video on my TV to do at home.
    DS 2008