Quantcast
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Taffers - so I'm not fond of running either (which I would always do at 4.0-4.2)...before I started my barre class (which I would totally recommend), I would do 20 minutes of elliptical and 20 minutes of stairs - really just to break up the cardio. And yes, sometimes one of my feet would fall asleep (go numb) on the elliptical. I bought new shoes which helped for a little bit, but it was also something about how I stood on the machine, etc. I would just get off at that point.

To answer your questions: I work out at 9:15 - 10:15 (when my class is scheduled). I also eat cereal/drink coffee 1-2 hours before working out. And, my workouts usually aren't as great when I'm on my period (I do them, but probably with not as much intensity).

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    And yes, sometimes one of my feet would fall asleep (go numb) on the elliptical. I bought new shoes which helped for a little bit, but it was also something about how I stood on the machine, etc. I would just get off at that point.
    Oh my gosh, yes! That used to happen to me all the time when I was big into working out and would try to do it for 30-45 mins. Ok, good to hear I'm not the only one. I watch people on them when I'm on the treadmill, and they stay on them for over 30 mins, and I just don't get it. I did try positioning my feet different, doing different movements, tried the ones where the handles move/don't move. Nothing made any difference.

barre: Yes, lots of my friends do those classes exclusively and love them. They all try to get me to join, but since I'm still on major weight loss track, I'm trying to focus on more cardio and just getting my stamina up...not to mention, I don't think I could even survive a barre class at this point! I hear they are super hard! I am going to try them when I'm in better shape.

I heart barre class, it has transformed my body. And I totally agree with you, I sweated off my baby weight with cardio 3-4x/week and then started barre when that got old and my friends introduced me to it. Now, that being said...you could totally do a barre class in conjunction with extra cardio if you wanted. I have seen people come and go from my class and you really need to give it a few weeks to get into it properly, get your stance right, etc. I agree with Kimber though, you look great in your pictures!

omgosh. My feet totally go numb. Why is that? I thought there was really something wrong with me. I'm so happy to know it's common. But WHY??

Hey friends. I just want to say one thing about this thread that it is very interesting and i learned and found many good ideas. Well i am also a runner and i am doing this exercise from many years. Its also a good exercise that makes our legs,bones and muscles strong.

Jumping in here- I really need to get with the program and have vowed that I MUST do 20 minutes on my elliptical trainer each night. I used to go to the gym before kids and would do 40 mins on the eliptical and I never had a problem with the bottom of my feet hurting or going numb...I'm thinking that maybe it's becuase I have always worn really supportive sneakers? Also the foot things on them do adjust, so maybe it's just the way that your weight is falling on them- you may need to adjust the foot things.

Last night I ran down stairs and hopped on it -I was wearing my slippers and the bottoms of my feet DID hurt! I'll be sure to wear sneakers from now on!

I can not drag myself out of bed early anymore so the only time I have is around 7pm...I think it was closer to 6:30 last night when I got down there. My kids were finally good and left me alone -so that makes me really happy.

When I went to the gym before I did lots of weights and I really think that is really beneficial. We've talked about getting some sort of weight machine, so if I can do my elliptical on a regular basis I think I may bring up getting a weight machine of some sort again. Does anyone have one that they recommend for home? Bowflex or other? I'm paranoid about the kids getting trapped in cords and seriously/fatally injured so think I would want to make sure to not have exposed cords on anything!

ETA: I was going to a Zumba class twice a week for an hour each class. I have an issue with dragging my butt back out of the house in the winter time though, but it is a great way to get back into the swing of things. you kind of have to do the whole thing because you don't want to look like the wuss that stops doing it 1/2 way through the class!

Hijack - if you have an elliptical at home, can you share what kind? I'm going to buy one for our garage b/c it is pretty clear I'm not ever going to make it to a gym outside our house! My husband is also going to buy a weight bench and some free weights, so I'll use those too, but that's his thing to research. Any feedback would be very helpful!
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I go to the gym 3x per week. Mon and Wed night and one weekend day. I eat a smaller dinner and then I head out the door right after from 7-8pm and DH handles dinner clean-up, the very small amount of homework DD has and then getting them prepped for bed. I get home just in time for books and kisses.

I try to split the time between cardio (running or elliptical) and some light weight training. I am a terrible runner and to date, the most I've ever ran in one stretch was 12 minutes. So I do an interval of run 5 minutes- walk 2 or 3- run 5 minutes, etc. I have done the C25K but have always stalled out when having to run more than 10 minutes at once. I run on the treadmill at 4.5-5.5

I also get Women's Health magazine and they always have a 15 minute work-out geared toward a target area (arms, butt, abs, back) or a total body circuit so I tear those out and do one or two of those. But you can also find them online.

I'd love to do a weight training or cycling class but nothing is scheduled for a time that I can be there, so that is disappointing.

I did the elliptical for the first time last night and my R foot was really numb/sore by the end,

laura, I have a Nordictrack elliptical (from Sears) at home . It's on it's last legs and only works at low levels now but it's 11 years old! For the first 9 of those, I used it 4-5 times a week until we got a treadmill. It help up wonderfully well.

I think my Elliptical is a ProForm -I'll check it tonight for the model and whatever. I like it because it has different programs built into it for what you want to target -weight loss, cardio, et. Mines around 8 or 9 years old now I think and the fan broke on it -which is no big deal because I must be too short for it to actually blow any air on my anyway!

ETA: Mines a Pro-Form Cardio Trainer 800
    Last edited by mcgwigan; 02-19-2013 at 05:48 PM.