Quantcast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Exercise Questions (Running & Other)

I didn't see a general thread for questions, and I have a few...

A little background...I used to work out 5-7 days a week for about 2 hours a day. I'd run for 55 minutes (or sometimes do some elliptical and some running) and then do weight training. When I started infertility treatments, I started working out less and less until it was nothing then I had 2 kids so while I did work out sporadically in between kids, etc., I'm just now really getting back into it.

I was NEVER a runner. I'm just not. Even when I ran an hour everyday, I'm a slow runner, and I never loved it.

Anyway, I started back maybe 2-3 weeks ago, and I'm having a really hard time! I went quickly from all walking to walking 2 minutes/jogging 1 minute for 30 minutes (like within a week). Now I can't seem to get past that. It's like I hit a wall after running 1 minute and have to walk. WTH? I'm trying now to walk 1 min/run 1min for 10 mins then do 20 mins of 2min/1min, but I'm seriously barely making it through that first 10 minutes.

Today I did cardio kickbox and thought I would die!

Is there something I need to do to increase stamina?

Also, maybe TMI, but does having your period make you more tired/less stamina, etc.? I started feeling like I was almost going backwards stamina-wise during pms and just totally lacking in energy during AF.

If you work out in the morning, what do you eat before? I HATE to eat in the morning. I've been trying to eat a 200 calorie protein bar before going to the gym, but it's not helping with energy. DH says I have to eat all carbs, not protein before working out and eat protein after. I don't want to eat a ton of calories though!

Any advice or even just stories that it was hard to start for you too would be appreciated!

I found it torture trying to get back into it! I actually started out by just running for 2 minutes the first day. That's it, then I changed and showered. The next day I did 3 minutes. Then 5. Some days I didn't add any minutes, but others I added just one minute. I found I was able to improve slowly and steadily without getting injured.

In the morning I usually eat a piece of cheese and a clementine. Those protein bars make me feel like crap, particularly on an empty stomach.

But good for you for getting back into it!! Baby steps!

Taffers - You should try to Couch 2 5K program (C25K) - It is a 9 week program that gets you running for 30 minutes - I used to be very active, but never ran. But by the end of the program I could easily run for 30 minutes (doesn't matter what speed you are doing - a lot of people when they are done, re-do the program to try to go faster) - After lots of problems with shin splints as a teenager, I was so thrilled to be able to run and not hurt myself.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

I can related to everything you said about running. I do it but I don't love it. Somedays I can go for 5 mi, somedays I quit after 10 min. I find the only thing that keeps me motivated is to have a race scheduled so I *have* to keep trained. Currently, I'm working towards a Shamrock 10K.
    I always start out with the goal of a minimum of a 5K and sometimes will set the goal to 5mi. I can tell in the first 5 min if I'm up for that kind of run and if not I just start doing 6.0/4.5 intervals for about 45 min. That way I'm following my body's vibe but still buring the cals and getting my cardio in to stay in shape. I rarely just quit, I just change my goal mid run if needed.
    Absolutely, I feel like I have no stamina when I'm PMSing! I just had a conversation with a friend of mine about that last week. It's funny because it's almost gotten to be my way of telling when my very irregular period is coming. I feel like I'm dragging a 50lb weight behind me when I'm running the week before my period then once it starts I'm back to feeling great during my run.
    Not sure if I answered any questions but I can certainly relate if that helps.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

I have a question for gym goers. When you run on a tread, what is a good pace to set the machine? I run slow and not far and I can't talk when I'm doing it!

I start my warm up at 3.0 and gradually ramp up to 4.0 over a 5 min warmup. When I run I start at 5.4 then adjust up from there depending on how I feel that day. I run for distance and HR not speed so 5.4-5.6 tends to be my comfort zone. When I'm running on the road my natural pace is a 10 min mile so I find a big variation between the 2.
    I would suggest starting at a fast walk and ramping up .2-.5 at a time for 5 min ea until you find the point where you're too winded to talk then start knocking yourself back down by .2 until you're able to maintain comfortably for 10 min at a time. Everyone is different with different endurance and stride so it's a lot of trial and error to find your best speed.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

I'm slow, I think I run at 4.0 on a treadmill.

thanks, guys! Sometimes I feel like I'm running but maybe it's so slow I should just be walking, so I wanted to see where you pros are. Of course, I haven't tried running at the gym in a while. Must start again!

Pine: I think I may switch to doing it that way because that's the way I used to do it, and I think it works better for me than intervals. I think next time I'll walk 3 mins, run 5 (or more if I can) then walk the rest and not push myself too hard right now because then I'll just stop altogether.

jessey: I was thinking of doing that, but everytime I look at it, it just doesn't seem like it's for me. I also like to switch it up so sometimes I'll do elliptical for a bit, sometimes I do a class, etc. I may have to look at it again though if my stamina continues to stall.

Thanks VASLP, that makes me feel better. I just don't remember running being this hard before, but then again, I was much younger and thinner last time I got into running!

bloom: You have to take your shape into account too- my taller friends used to make fun of me because I "ran" at 5.5 or 5.6 max, which they said was soooo slow, and I thought I was going pretty fast. Then I finally realized that they are all either normal waisted OR even short waisted with really long legs. I'm super long waisted with really short legs so you CANNOT compare yourself!

Anyway, right now, I'm not in good shape, and as I stated above, I'm walking/running 2 mins/1min intervals for 30 mins. I walk at 4.0 and run at 5.3. I want to get up to running 5.5 for 45 minutes, but even running at 5.3 for 30 minutes would make me really happy right now.

What time do you all work out and for how long? Like I said, I was able to be at the gym for 1.5-2 hours before, but I didn't have kids. I also was at the gym by 5 a.m., sometimes 4:30 a.m. I absolutely cannot get up that early anymore. No matter what. Won't happen. But I find it much harder to go at 8 or 9 a.m. because then the whole time I'm there, I'm thinking how I should be working or running errands because I'm wasting the whole morning at the gym (even though it's only an hour that I'm there).

I'm too tired to go at night, and it's too crowded for me at after-work hours anyway. Has anyone gone at like 8 or 8:30 p.m.? I tend to get a second wind at that time so I would consider that if the gym isn't too crowded.

One more question I forgot...does the elliptical machine make the bottom of your feet hurt? I can't do it for me than 10 minutes, and I remember when I used to work out it also hurt the bottom of my feet.