Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    a small drinking island with a fishing problem

Default Mummy tummy workouts?

Yes, I know. Do crunches. But crunches are so boring. What routines have you ladies tried to minimize the MT?

I didn't start out fit before I had babies, so I'm not expecting magical results, but I'd at least like to feel comfortable in my clothes.
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

Abs of Steel. No, I am not kidding.

Also - anything by Denise Austin. I have an ancient 15 minute Abs video of hers that is killer.

Basic beginner Pilates will get you going too.
    Cake or Death?

I had good luck with planks and side work with a medicine ball.

like this one, but I did a more basic move while kneeling instead. That seems like more of an advanced position that my abs would have never been able to do.
    Medicine ball side to side
    DS: 11-20-2006
    Boy/Girl Twins: 4-3-2011
    DD 4/3/2013

If you don't like crunches, any exercise that works your core will help (and it's also important to work your back!) So things like squats and kick boxing help the ab area even though they aren't specifically targeting the abs. You can also look for videos that say something like "standing ab" routine... I think The FIRM may have one? And planks are great too!
    Last edited by Gia; 01-23-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Actually, if you have diastasis recti, crunches and a lot of other traditional ab exercises supposedly make your mummy tummy worse. My abs are in terrible shape after DD2, who is now 17 months. I'm otherwise pretty fit but look pregnant and don't want to buy clothes because it just makes me depressed. There are a lot of mummy tummy systems out there but they're pretty expensive but I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting one. So, sorry, no advice but just wanted to mention that if your abs are separated you have to be careful about what exercises you do as to not exacerbate the situation.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

Quote Originally Posted by littlemia View Post
    Actually, if you have diastasis recti, crunches and a lot of other traditional ab exercises supposedly make your mummy tummy worse.
    True! I think planks are still supposed to be good though, and squats and other standing exercises. How do you know for sure if you have a diastasis recti? I have read the description and I still can't tell, but I know I was higher risk for one.

Oh, and Fen- I think I was thinking of Standing Legs not abs from The FIRM, but I know the guy who does the insanity videos does "Hip Hop Abs" which is no crunches, I believe.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Crunches can help but won't get rid of it. Sorry.

Core exercises are going to be your best bet. Planks, yoga, pilates, etc. there are apparently tons of workouts on Pinterest to minimize it. I haven't explored them yet because I need to focus on other areas.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

The best thing for me has been to do 10 mens pushups every time I walk into the bathroom at home. But you could do the plank instead. If you have a clock in there, time yourself the first time to figure out how long you can hold a plank. Then every day add 5 seconds. This doesn't require any equipment or child care or time, but doing this every day consistently really pays off. It quickly becomes a habit too. Now I feel weird walking out of a public washroom because I feel like I should drop and do 10 pushups

I do TRX. Doing planks with that workout routine has really helped.

Gia- there are videos to show you how to check. In my case, the separation is visible. You can see it somewhat when I'm standing but it's really apparent if I do a plank. My soft tissues basically fall through the ridge and I have to really concentrate to bring them back in.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11