Quantcast
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Our kids are older now, but we have never rented car seats for them. We used a "borrowed" car seat on an airport shuttle van once, and ick. It was dirty and grimy and I'm still not convinced the straps were installed correctly.

I've mentioned the Sit N Stroll before, and I still think they're great for trips where you need a car seat and a stroller. We used ours at Disney a few years ago, and it was great. We used it as a car seat on the plane and in the rental car, then as a stroller at Disney. I think it would probably work for your youngest.

For your older children, ITA that taking a backless booster is the way to go. We did that when traveling to visit family.
    wife 08.10.02
    mother 11.01.03 and 09.01.06

Assuming your children meet the weight and height requirements, another option is the Ride Safe Travel vest. They're $$$ but they don't expire.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

Thank you everyone for the input. I kind of knew in the back of my head I'd not like the idea of renting seats because of the ick factor and not knowing if they are safe.
    Hopefully the girls will be ready for backless boosters and then we can just bring DS's seat. I cannot fathom bringing three Marathon's on the plane with us.
    I guess I should ask now, do airlines charge extra for that? Is it considered a carry-on, luggage, etc?

ETA: My girls do not even weigh 30 lbs yet so I doubt they will gain 10 lbs in less than a year. My quick, initial search for backless boosters are showing 40 lbs. I wonder if I can rent a Dodge Journey equipped with the two built-in child booster seats? Hmmm ...
    Last edited by sea74; 01-09-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    Loving my DDs and DS

Airlines do not charge extra for carseats or strollers. You can check your carseats with your luggage or gate check them- depends on your comfort level. We check ours with our luggage bc we don't want to lug it but some people are really opposed to that.

Are you staying on site at Disney? Do you need a car other than to/from the airport?
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

If you buy a seat for your kid over aged 2, you can use a restraint for them up to age 18, I think. You aren't charged extra if you bring it on board in the seat you purchased. Individual airlines vary on their policy for gate checked items...sometimes you need to check them with luggage, other times you can check them at the gate and you have to be aware of the weight limits on the items too.

I personally wouldn't bring a Marathon on board, let alone 3, so if you can't use a booster, then I'd look into a cheaper seat, like a Cosco Scenera (we have one just for air travel) since your kids will be old/are enough to forward face in the car.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

We're still not 100% certain about where we're staying at Disney, but I think off-site. Regardless, we're renting a car because I just don't want to be at the mercy of Disney transportation.

Thank you again for all the suggestions. I'm going to have to start looking at cheaper/smaller car seats if the booster option won't work. I'm glad I have the time to figure something out. I did look up one of the baby gear rental places. I have to do a lot more investigating on that to see if it would be a workable option for us and we're comfortable with it. If FL wasn't a two-day drive for us I'd probably just say screw flying and just drive, but I don't want to waste four days of vacation in a car with three kids, lol!

Thanks again, ladies!
    Loving my DDs and DS

It looks like the Cosco and Diono backless boosters are 30+lbs. You could post in the carseat thread for info about those specifically.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

At 4.5 I would not use a backless booster unless they regularly ride in boosters at home and already sit properly 100% of the time. There's a new folding HBB but the name escapes me... Regardless they'd still need to sit properly.

I'd go with 2 RSTV especially bc you've got a you get one to pass one down to. They have pretty high resale value too so you could just sell one eventually. I love ours.
    "He who knows he has enough is rich" - Lao Tzu
    --<--@ Tiffany @-->--
    LJ ~ Chart

I'm having car seat issues too and I came here hoping to read it was OK to rent them from the car seat company. Well, darn! What do car seat companies think? That it's OK to not have a car seat for a family that shows up expecting them?

I'm flying this weekend for a funeral with 5 year old DD and 3 month old DS. We really think it's a pain in the butt to take the car seats out and reinstall and then do it again two days later when we get home. Since DD is 5 and could technically do a backless booster, I'm wondering if I should rent her a booster, knowing that if they don't have one, we could just run to target and buy a cheap one? I don't think the Snug Ride is worth risking so I'm thinking we better lug that one with us. He sleeps really well in it too so it might be a good idea.

Of course, if we buy a backless booster and take it with us, it would be cheaper than renting one. Plus, we may be able to get away with a full size car instead of a minivan. It's just the four of us but I'd like the option of taking my mother with us in the car. In our Prius with two massive car seats, that isn't an option. But in a full-size with the snug ride and a backless booster, I think we could pull it off.

Anyone have a suggestion? Trip is Saturday!
    Jenn...and Bill (5/25/03)
    ...and Natalie (10/10/07)
    ...and Oliver (11/12/12)

Jenn, I'm sorry about the funeral. I had been keeping up in your other thread.

Has your DD ever been in a booster? As long as she has some experience with that, knows how to sit, etc, I think a backless booster is a fine solution. I'd buy a Harmony Juvenile backless booster from Walmart ($13 and I really like it) and carry it on board. You can't use it on the plane, but you can stow it under your seat. And then I'd use the Snugride for the baby.
    Karla, CPST Mom to DS1 5/06 * DD 8/07 * DS2 8/08 * DS3 3/10