Quantcast
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

I generally have no problem bringing juice boxes and water bottles for my kids through security. 1 of each for each kid has been considered a reasonable amount. I'm always prepared to toss/dump if asked to do so but they've really eased up on the rules for kid travel.

If your kid is a wiggler, CARES will not keep him contained because there is no crotch strap, so he/she can just slide out the bottom once they realize that, so I wouldn't count on it as a containment device, honestly. If you want a true restraint, a car seat is a better bet (says the mom of a 2 year old who is a wiggler but gladly sits in his car seat on board a plane). It is a PITA to deal with in the airport, though, I'll give you that much! I really think the distraction of all the people and new things to look at could work in your favor, it's amazing how DS just knows what to do when he gets inside the plane (the airport itself is another story).

I've had good luck bringing factory sealed food and drinks on board. I always bring an empty water bottle for me and another one for DS because that kid drinks a ton during flights. I just fill it up after security from a water fountain. I try to bring things that are not so messy but are treats, in addition to what my son normally eats. Kids don't have to take off their shoes to go through security, but I try to choose a pair that's easy to slip on and off just in case an agent decides otherwise.

Toys are totally hit or miss, I usually bring a bunch of stuff, and on some flights it is great, on others not so much. I've pretty much decided to on our next transatlantic flight, we're bringing no toys, just books, stickers, drawing stuff and our iPad. He could care less about the duplos, window clings, magnets, etc. etc.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

As others have said, you can bring food. Most TSA agents will also allow families traveling with children to bring factory sealed juices through security. I know we went through with Capri Sun pouches last year, and my kids were 5 and 8 at the time.

When we go to HI, we fly Hawaiian and I find that the meals usually are not things my kids will eat. I always make sure to pack them a proper lunch of non-junky stuff I know they will eat. Usually, a sandwich with a cup of fruit holds up well. I also carry empty water bottles for everyone and fill them up when we get past security.

At 3.5, the DVD player saved us. We took some old favorites and a couple of new discs. Not only did this keep the girls occupied on the plane, but gave them something to watch in lieu of the crappy hotel programming. Definitely a lifesaver when the kids are jet lagged and waking up at 3 am!
    wife 08.10.02
    mother 11.01.03 and 09.01.06

I should have said, sometimes you can bring drinks but I just don't bother b/c we have enough to deal with. I dump what I have before security and after I fill up 1 thermal bottle with water from a water fountain and 1 thermal bottle w/ milk from Starbucks.

ETA: speaking of duplo, we got one of these sets for Christmas:
    http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-DUPLO-675...duplo+book+set

I admit I passed it over at TRU b/c I thought it was too young to be useful for DD, but she loves it. And the story is simple enough that she can do the entire thing by herself. It has been a lifesaver at restaurants, I just keep all the pieces in a ziploc bag. I'm going to get another set for our next trip. But it could be borderline too young for 3.5+, I think it depends on the kid.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

You guys are so helpful, thank you!!

We will have my iPad and I'll probably buy a couple new movies or shows to put on it. I may also rent a DVD player on board (we're flying Alaska). I forgot I do have a sticker/activity book I bought for Xmas but decided to save it for the plane. Just need to remember where I put it!

I know the Cares harness won't be total containment, but here's hoping it sort of works! We'll be back by the flight attendants too so I'm hoping that will also distract him (he's a total flirt!).

Thanks for the info on the food too, I couldn't remember what was and wasn't allowed.
    K&K 10.5.02
    E 3.8.05
    M 6.24.09

The CARES harness also keeps my DD from unbuckling her seatbelt continuously, although I know from reading reviews it doesn't work for all kids. The way the CARES fits her (right now), the buckle is kind of covered by the strap of the CARES harness and she just doesn't bother it. She has never tried to slip out the bottom, either. She used to slide down when she was younger, but now she just sits like a normal person.

You might consider putting some new kid apps on your iPad too. My DD likes the Super Why! game, and we just got a Team Umi Zoomi app, and I have some Dr. Seuss storybook type apps that are probably her favorites right now.

I got a set of things that my son loves to play with, at 2, they're a bit of a challenge for him, but at 3.5, they might work:

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-W...ref=pd_sim_t_7

I paid something like $11 in TRU. I put all the pieces in individual baggies with the instruction card and my son goes to town trying to put them together.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

We've never flown with our children before and are planning a trip to Disney. The flight will be about two hours and when we get there we will be renting a car. This is probably a dumb question to those of you who travel regularly by air, but we do not (or at least with the kids!) so, do you RENT car seats? Do they even do that? Are they gross? How do you know they are safe?
    At the time of travel we will have nearly three-year old and two 4.5-year-olds.
    Loving my DDs and DS

We don't rent carseats b/c I would assume they are gross, and I don't know how you know if they are safe. But you CAN rent them. Actually, the reasons I listed are probably secondary to the number one reason we do not rent carseats which is, car rental companies (as far as I know) do not guarantee they will have a seat available when you arrive at your destination. I've never known anyone who showed up and didn't have one, but it says right in the info about reserving one that it is not guaranteed. And when we went to Hawaii, the woman (at Avis) asked if we needed a carseat, and I said no we brought ours, and she said "that's a good idea, b/c sometimes we run out!" Which seems nuts to me.

Long story short, we bring ours when we go on vacation. It sucks to lug it, but I just can't bring myself to rent one. I understand it would super suck to bring 3 seats with you. For a vacation trip, my BFF did a backless booster for her 4.5 y/o son, even though that isn't what he uses at home. Would that be at all possible for your girls?

We always travel with our own seats. I would not rent from a car agency unless it was somehow dire circumstances. However, if there is a reputable baby gear rental company, I would consider that.