Quantcast
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Default Travel Master Thread #3

Women are angels, and when someone breaks our wings
    we continue to fly...on broomsticks.
    We are flexible like that.

Our latest flight was practically flawless...I was super impressed with American and their Business Class. I ended up sitting next to the pilot that flew the plane to Zurich, he was impressed with my garbage bag and even more impressed when I had room in it for his newspapers and other random crap.

Our 2 year old did fantastic. He didn't sleep for very long but we expected this and he was fine in his car seat. Our stroller is officially dead, it's in the pile to go to the dump at the moment. It's a Britax lightweight model and it just didn't survive the folding and unfolding. We now have a Quinny Zapp that I bought on Albee Baby (2010 model) that should see us through until we don't need it any longer.

I also had the CARES Harness but my husband basically vetoed using it for this trip. He basically looked at it and rolled his eyes. I kept it and we'll try it again on our next flight.
    Last edited by looch; 12-03-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

Glad your trip went well, Looch!

Ours was similarly easy. JetBlue was fantastic for kids (DD is 2yo).

The CARES harness worked perfectly on DD, even though she is petite (about 26 lbs and 32ish inches). I had DH board first and set it up so DD and I just sat down and clicked in.

I used the window clings in the hotel and she loved putting them on the mirrors while I got ready in the bathroom.

KidCar NYC was fantastic and very thorough (prompt, too).

Another suggestion I have for air travel with a toddler: bring a chewy/gummy snack for takeoff and landing. To get her ears to adjust I just gave DD her most-coveted treat (Annie's gummy bunny snacks). They did a good job of getting her to chew & pop her ears without having to deal with a sippy/straw cup mess or a sticky lollipop.

window gel clings: I had them in my carryon bag and no one blinked so we had them on the plane but didn't use them. What I didn't consider about them is how bright the sun is and that we basically needed to keep the shades closed during the flight anyway. We won't be bringing them onboard again.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

Ugh. Just got back from vacation and my 19 month old was inconsolable on the plane. She was fine to start and I let her walk up and down the aisle when the seat belt sign was off, but after it came back on, she wanted nothing to do with sitting down. She was screaming and pushing everything away. Shushing didn't work. I tried distracting her with toys, books, food, etc, but nothing worked. DH finally got her to go to sleep while I took DS to the bathroom. Thank goodness she slept until we reached the gate. We're not flying again till she's 2, so I hope it's a better experience.

I've been there, Annette! My 2 year old had a fit when he was about 18 months old...he didn't want to be strapped in for take off. He was screaming to the point where a flight attendant came by and asked me if he had a favorite toy I could give him. I paused and collected myself to tell her at this point it wouldn't matter and we would just take him out of the seat to calm him down (he had his own seat and was strapped in the car seat). Sometimes kids can be totally unpredictable, but what I've learned is NOT to let them walk up and down the aisles because once they start that, they won't want to sit in their seat.

We just got back from a 3000 mile road trip, and the #1 tip I have is that our swim bag saved our sanity every night! I had a bag with swim suits, cover ups, flip flops and goggles for everyone that we kept near the door of the car. As soon as we got to wherever we were staying for the night, I took the swim bag and the kids and took them swimming. It let them burn off steam and the promise of being able to swim helped get them over the hump of those last long hours on the road each day. DH would unload the car and take a much deserved break.
    wife 08.10.02
    mother 11.01.03 and 09.01.06

Ohana: you are my travel hero! Your satellite system has saved me many times, and while my DS is too young to appreciate the pool right now, this is an awesome idea!

So we are flying with my 3.5 year old on Friday, his first flight. He's hit a really tough, stubborn, tantrum-y stage (good times in our house, lol!). I'm freaking out about the flight as it's 5 hours to Hawaii.

I rented a Cares harness in hopes of keeping him contained. I don't want him walking the aisles because then he will never get back in his seat. I'll take him to the bathroom as needed (we have seats in the very back) but its straight back to his seat and clipped in. I'm hoping he see the Cares harness as an extension of his car seat and not fight it.

I also have lollipops for take off and his Leap pad to keep him occupied (plus books, a small new toy or two). I'm also thinking of putting him on the plane at the last minute so he can run around and get his energy out.

Can I bring snacks/ food through security? It's been forever since I've flown so I don't remember.

I'm so afraid he will be "that" kid on our flight. Anything I'm forgetting that might help minimize the trauma for all involved?

TIA!
    K&K 10.5.02
    E 3.8.05
    M 6.24.09

Yes you can bring snacks/food, just not drinks. Does he like shows? Do you have an iPad or iPod touch or portable DVD player? The hardest part for us is from when we board the plane until they say you can use electronic devices and then on the descent when you have to turn devices off. Fortunately my DD likes puzzles and sticker books and me reading to her. My DD just turned 3. We have these puzzles; they're nice bc the puzzle fits on top of the box so she can do it on her lap and it's all self contained:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000RE...7715758&sr=8-2

And I have a couple of these kind of activity driven sticker books:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/031250...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Then I bring about 10 paperback books and always 1-2 new ones. Also water WOW! is fun and I like those grab and go coloring packs you can find at the $1 spot. I buy a ton everytime I see them bc they are great for travel. Sometimes I do color wonder for the novelty or those small marker and coloring pages sets. The thing I like about these items is they also work for restaurant entertainment. But honestly we would never survive flying without our iPad!
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09