Quantcast
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Master Car Seat/Booster Seat Thread for Older Kids, Part 2

Previous Thread: http://www.constantchatter.com/forum...for-older-kids

When is it time for a new car seat?
    (This is a general list - rules for your seat may be different. Always read your owner's manual!)
    • Your child is too big to rear-face (RF) in their convertible seat when a) they reach the RF weight limit, or b) the top of their head reaches the top of the seat.
    • Your child is too big for the convertible seat (forward facing) when a) they reach the weight limit or b) the tops of his/her ears reach the top of the seat or c) his/her shoulders are at the level of the highest strap slots

Car seat inspections
    Car Seat Inspection Stations - click on "Find a technciain".
    Get your seat inspected!!!! A majority of car seats are incorrectly installed! An incorrectly installed seat is not safe! Even if you think you did it right, GET IT INSPECTED!!!

Booster Seat Information

Boosters, Belts and Big Kids
    Boosters are for Big Kids
    5 Step Test
    Booster Seats

Car Seat Compatibilty Database

Car Seat Info for Canada

Options for a 5 Point Harness past 40 lbs
    Britax Marathon
    Britax Regent
    Britax Decathlon
    Britax Boulevard

Cosco Apex 65

SafeGuard Child Seat

Sunshine Kids Radian

Fisher Price Safe Voyage (to 55 lbs) (made by Britax for FP)

Recaro Como
    Recaro Signo

Evenflo Triumph Advance
    Evenflo Titan Elite

Children in Harnessed Seats Past 40 lbs Photo Album

Highest Slot heights for various car seats:
    Roundabout - 15.5"
    Safeguard Seat - 19.5"
    Triumph Advance - 17"
    Radian (65 or 80) - 18" (manufacturer allows continued use with the shoulders up to 1" over the top slots)
    Marathon - 17.5 inches
    Apex65 - 17 inches
    Graco Nautilus - 18 inches
    Regent - 20 inches

If you are about to purchase a car seat and would like to assist a good cause at the same time, please consider purchasing from http://www.hipmonkey.com. This website is the sister site to the Kyle David Miller Foundation (http://www.kyledavidmiller.org) who donate car seats to families in need. Besides car seats by Britax, Sunshine Kids, Recaro and SafeSeat, the site also has other child care items - e.g. slings, diaper bags, nursing covers etc. ALL profits from the sale of ALL items go directly to the foundation
    Women are angels, and when someone breaks our wings
    we continue to fly...on broomsticks.
    We are flexible like that.

Does anyone have a Britax Marathon70? We just turned DD forward facing in her seat. But with her in the center, if I raise the lever on the back that raises the straps up and down, it basically completely obstructs my back window b/c the thing sticks up so far. So my question is - #1, am I doing something wrong with this mechanism? and #2, would I have the same issue if I switch to something like a nautilus? I would prefer to keep DD in the center since it is the safest position, but moving her to the outboard spot does also solve the problem, I guess.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

a small drinking island with a fishing problem

I have the same car and same seat. I moved chloe outboard. In that position I had to put the car headrest all the way up for the seat to fit. It obstructs a little, but honestly, I don't notice it anymore.
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

Huh, ok. Well that's a dumb design. I guess I should have also said I have a 2010 CRV.

Bumping for suggestions!

I am looking for a convertible car seat that can be used for my 2 year old son and soon to be born nephew. The seat will be permanently installed in my parent's minivan and my son is currently still rear facing. I don't want to spend too much, but I would like something that can be used after my nephew is done with the infant bucket or in place of in my parent's van.

Any suggestions? I am looking to spend about $150.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

For sure I would do the Graco MyRide.

I agree w/ Laura.

Now that I have to figure out life after maternity leave, I need to buy an additional seat for my mom's car. She drives a Toyota Matrix. Right now DD is in a Marathon 70, FF. DS is still in the infant carrier, but our extra base lives in DH's truck. The best option I can come up with is to flip the Marathon to RF for DS and buy DD a Graco Nautilus. Am I overlooking a better option? In our collection of seats we have another Marathon in my car and a MyRide in DH's truck. We also have a Scenera in our low speed GemCar, but I'd rather not use that in a regular vehicle.

Once DS outgrows his carrier I was thinking I'd buy two more Nautiluses for DD, one for my car and one for DH's truck, and move DS to DD's Marathon and MyRide. I'll probably just get another Scenera for the GemCar.
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.

Yes, I would do that. And then let me know if the nautilus is better in the CRV than the Marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Yes, I would do that. And then let me know if the nautilus is better in the CRV than the Marathon.
    Crap. You mean with the headrest? I didn't think of that. It's probably worse because I think it's taller.

Does anyone have the evenflo Maestro? Do you like it? Does it make a good booster? I'm looking for an inexpensive combination seat to use for my car and for travel. My car is mainly used for daycare pickup. I already have a nautilus that we plan to use in DH's car.