Quantcast
Page 2 of 196 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

I should have mentioned that we WON'T do the Halloween Party. When we went in September 2011, we had the choice and thought it would be too scary for our toddler. It is also too late for getting up as early as we do. I think it is something we will do when the boys are 10+ but not at 3 and 15 months!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen1098 View Post
    We are doing Eastern and our ports are St. Maarten and St. Thomas. We're having a tough time with excursions b/c DD will only be 3 but my boys will be 9 and 7 so we're limited as to what we can do as a family. Any suggestions?
    I think in St. Maarten we will b doing a tour of the island via Bernard's Tours. It's not a "Disney" sponsored excursion, but people rave about it. It's not overly expensive and I want to be sure to stop at Maho Beach to see the plans fly over. It also includes beach and/or shopping stops so everyone's needs should be covered.

In St. Thomas, my first choice is the full day catamaran and snorkel to Turtle Cove and Honeymoon Beach. The only down fall is that it is a little on the pricier side - $105 per adult and $65 for DD. We are actually considering leaving DD in the kids club that day. She would love that, but I am a little iffy on leaving her on the ship while we leave the island. One thing that may work is that our friends may not want to do the pricey excursion so if they stay on the ship, I would be fine leaving DD on the ship with them.
    "It's a great day for hockey!" - Badger Bob Johnson (1931 - 1991)

Kaitlyn builds a space shuttle!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Van Pelt View Post
    I think in St. Maarten we will b doing a tour of the island via Bernard's Tours. It's not a "Disney" sponsored excursion, but people rave about it. It's not overly expensive and I want to be sure to stop at Maho Beach to see the plans fly over. It also includes beach and/or shopping stops so everyone's needs should be covered.

In St. Thomas, my first choice is the full day catamaran and snorkel to Turtle Cove and Honeymoon Beach. The only down fall is that it is a little on the pricier side - $105 per adult and $65 for DD. We are actually considering leaving DD in the kids club that day. She would love that, but I am a little iffy on leaving her on the ship while we leave the island. One thing that may work is that our friends may not want to do the pricey excursion so if they stay on the ship, I would be fine leaving DD on the ship with them.
    We did the snorkel trip to Turtle Cove on a catamaran...although we were on a Princess cruise. We then took the catamaran over to the Ritz Hotel in St Thomas for the rest of the day. It was one of the nicest excursions we ever took. It was actually on that excursion that we decided to start trying for kids.

If you're not comfortable leaving the island, I actually think Maegan's Bay is as nice as Honeymoon Beach. It's more developed/crowded, of course, but the beach itself is lovely, and there is cell service (which you may also have on HB--I just don't recall). It's a $12/~20 minute cab ride.

Ok cruise people. Can you please PM me and let me know how much you spent on extras, like excursions, alcohol, etc? I know I can price this stuff, but I need a base point so I have an idea how much this cruise might actually cost once all is said and done.

The only extra we had for our three day was my champagne tasting which was $25, I believe. We didn't have any other alcohol onboard and we didn't do any excursions. We didn't even get off of the ship in Nassau. The only thing we had that wasn't included were the tips which were $12 per day, per person. That is pretty much the standard tip so you can go ahead and add that as part of the cruise as a non-negotiable expense. So far as alcohol goes, you can save money by bringing your own onboard with you

The only extra we had for our three day was my champagne tasting which was $25, I believe. We didn't have any other alcohol onboard and we didn't do any excursions. We didn't even get off of the ship in Nassau. The only thing we had that wasn't included were the tips which were $12 per day, per person. That is pretty much the standard tip so you can go ahead and add that as part of the cruise as a non-negotiable expense. So far as alcohol goes, you can save money by bringing your own onboard with you
    So for 3 of us X 7 days, that's about $250. For a 7 day we would do excursions, and I'd bring wine but probably buy a glass or two when I was too lazy to go back to the room.

You can look up the different disney sponsored excursions and get prices on the DCL website. In general you can book excursions at cheaper prices without going through disney, but there's the risk of missing the ship. If you are on a disney excursion, they will hold the ship or get you to the next port. If you are on your own and miss the ship, it's your responsibility to get to the next port.

Just another perspective for booking an excursion through an independent person/business. We did this on one of our Princess cruises. We were on a back road in Mexico and had a bunch of "guerrilla army?" come out of the woods with machine guns, stopped the van we were in and the driver paid the guys and they went back into the bushes/area. It was FREAKY!!! I was happy that we didn't have kids with us...one couple did and they immediately began to push the little girl down onto the floor when the guys came out of the bushes. Very very scary!! With kids, I would go through the cruise ship and book all of my excursions!!

Quote Originally Posted by bethnjim View Post
    Okay, I need some Disney World advice!!! We took our 21 month old son in September 2011 to Disney World. Stayed at the Beach Club and had a wonderful time...HOT, but wonderful. On average it was 91+ degrees and humid each day. My soon to be 3 year old has been asking us to go back and we are throwing around the idea of going back in 2013. Here are two scenarios...which would be most appealing to you??

August 2013--We would be going for 10 days, hitting the parks and SeaWorld which my 3 year old is very excited about visiting. We would stay at Animal Kingdom in a savannah view room. My 2nd son would be almost 15 months at this point so we would still with a schedule of early to the parks, back to the hotel by 12-1pm for a nap while 3 year old hits pool area with daddy, 4pm dinner and then heading back to the same park to hang out for the evening. We would have a rental car so coming and going was pretty easy last time with the rental. My husband would only have to take 40 hours of PTO and I would have to take none because I am a teacher and have the summers off.

October 2013--We would be going for 5 days...7 days really but two are travel days. We would stay at the same place, same idea. Only difference would be that I would have to take 4 personal days from work and a deduct day (no pay day) in order to go. The biggest pull for October...the weather. We went in August before we had kids and while it was out...we were adults and we swam/hit the water parks often!! When we went in September 2011 it was HOT and HUMID and I was pregnant so maybe it was more awful than it really was in my head...but it was pretty awful to me. My 21 month old at the time didn't seem to be bothered.

So, opinions?? Have you done August with kids? The only thing pulling me towards August is the idea that no matter what, we will be heading back to the room from 12-3 for a nap...that is a given...so that is the hottest part of the day and if we are inside or in the pool then it won't be that bad. At this point I just need to make a decision but it would be nice to have some one weighing in.
    August will definitely be hot and humid and it may rain a lot. October may or may not be equally humid and it may also rain a lot. This year the first 2-3 weeks in October were almost like August, hot, humid, rain every day. We were at Sea World one weekend around Halloween and while it was too hot for DS to wear a real costume (had him in board shorts and a rash guard with a cool necklace as a "surfer dude") it didn't rain. But in the past October has been dryer and cooler. So there is really no telling what the weather will be like. Florida weather is very predictable in the summer (hot, humid, lots of rain) but totally unpredictable the rest of the year.