Quantcast
Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Back to school clothes shopping thread

I know there has to be a thread about this somewhere but I couldn't find it.

My question is this: DD was wearing size 5 jeans last year and upon trying them on her this year they fit her waist pretty good, but are too short. I bought a pair of size 6 regular jeans at Kohls and they are way too big in the waist (even cinched up like 6 holes) but the length is only slightly too long, enough she can grow over the year and not have high waters. So does this mean she needs a 6 slim? I need the waist of a size 5 and the length of a size 6. Also, what jeans are good for a slim, tall kid. I know I've seen that discussion here but again, I can't find it.

Side note...I HATE adjustable waist pants, they just don't work well on DD and always leave her with a bit of saggy butt. I LOVED the Osh Kosh elastic waist jeans they had up to 5T and I'm super bummed they stop making them at that size. They fit her perfectly, didn't fall down or leave her with plumber butt.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once

I don't know about for girls, but I have to buy my older son slim jeans because the waist and legs are way too baggy on him otherwise. I like ON jeans a lot. They do have the adjustable waist, though, which I happen to like. I have found slim jeans at Gymboree, too, but I only buy them when they are on the clearance rack because they are way too expensive otherwise. DS2 gets all the hand me downs, but he is not a slim, so I won't pay more money for them since they won't get worn by two kids, KWIM?

I am pretty much all set for back to school clothes. I had picked up a bunch of stuff for DS1 on sales and clearance throughout the year and then Thursday DH and I shopped at the outlets in Maine for a few more things we were missing. I am now just looking for long sleeve character shirts to round out DS1's wardrobe (i.e. compromise/make him happy ) If anyone sees them on sale anywhere, please share! Doesn't matter if it's Walmart, Target, etc. Star Wars, Batman, Pokemon, Mario, etc. I do need to try H&M first, though, because they usually have a good selection and the quality is better.

My daughter was handed down some Lei jeans. I checked the size of one and it said 4 regular and when she tried them on this summer they fit well, maybe a little long. She's around 43" and 34lbs. The jeans were given to us by a pretty skinny kid of I guess average height. They're adjustable waist but not bunchy. I think I've seen that brand at Walmart, which is not somewhere I usually shop for clothes, but if those end up working once we get into jeans weather, I'll pick up some more. Jeans are hard to fit even for kids!
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

They have character Ts at Old Navy, I saw today when I was there.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    They have character Ts at Old Navy, I saw today when I was there.
    Long sleeves? I didn't see any when we were there the other day.

It is usually the post-back to school sales that have the screaming deals on long sleeve shirts...when the winter stuff comes in. Right now it's still short sleeves. ON usually has them for $5 not long after school starts (as well as Childrens Place, WM, Target) if you hold off a bit you will get a better deal. I remember cleaning up on long sleeve shirts around Halloween last year.

Does ON still have jeans on for $10? I will have to check. I hope I didn't miss it. I will pick up a few pairs and if they don't work I'll return them. I would rather drag a rabid badger to try on clothes at a store than DD, she HATES it. On the plus side, I got 2 pairs of Jumping Beans elastic waist pants (one jean, one khaki) and they both fit her great. She still have trouble with snaps and zippers on pants so they need to have enough give in the adjustable elastic waist for her to get them up and down without undoing them.

In all reality, DD doesn't actually NEED anything else besides jeans. The only thing she could use more of are long squishy pants (cotton knit, yoga and sweats for laying around the house). Almost all of hers from last year are too tight and/or too short and got cut off for play shorts for summer. She could also use 2 or 3 nicer outfits (skirts, nicer shirts) and one dressier pair of shoes. I got her a pair of the C9 nubby bottom athletic shoes that Target had on sale last week for $19 and she LOVES them. They are super lightweight and she said they "make her go really fast". And they were cheap, so she can destroy them and I won't care. I almost wish I'd gotten the pink pair too, and a pair for myself.
    Last edited by TracyDP; 08-12-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement. -From a bumper sticker I saw once

Sorry, I missed the l/s part. They have several for girls but I guess the boys are s/s still. I just later s/s over a plain l/s T though, so I buy both.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I do that, too, Laura! It is nice to get more than one season out of things. Of course, DS has outgrown all of his l/s white tees, so I need to replace those as well.

Tracy: Children's Place for 6slim jeans?

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Tracy: Children's Place for 6slim jeans?
    If the ON jeans don't work I will try that too. I want to find some skinny jeans for her, at just short of 5 yrs old, tall and lean, she can still pull them off :-) Me, not so much. I actually just ordered 3 pairs of Carhartt pants (one black jean, 2 capris) from Sierra Trading Post. I have a pair of that brand capris and they fit her PERFECT. I was bummed they would be too small next year so when I saw them on sale I grabbed the next size up.