Quantcast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Olympics! London 2012.

We're just over a month away from the Olympics. Who's getting excited? I thought I'd get a thread started, since there are a number of Olympic trials that will be televised soon, and a lot of news coverage has already begun.

Please share articles, links, thoughts about the events or your favorite athletes. Anything related to the Olympics is welcome!

Here's the official website of the London Olympics:

London 2012 Olympics

I keep hearing that we're going to be able to see online video of just about every event this year, which is great. I always get a little frustrated because the networks cover certain things and not others. Last time, I heard that the Canadian channels were providing better coverage, but we didn't get any of them. Will definitely explore online video this year.

Oh gosh, I am getting so excited! We watched the men's and women's gymnastics national championships this weekend and even DS was into it.

Our baby is also due on the day of the Opening Ceremonies, which I have known for a while but it always seemed so far away...now with everyone counting down to the Olympics I'm getting a little nervous/anxious wrt my personal ticker.

Another fun Olympics related story (and because the male swimmers are always my favorite kind of eye candy) was about Ryan Lochte in the Sunday Styles section of the NYT yesterday.

Link is here.

He also lives and trains in Gainesville, and I work for UF and have stayed for work several times in the Hilton he mentions in the article. Meow, it would be fun to get a glimpse of him in the hotel pool!
    Leo 12/5/08 ...and Ivy 7/26/12

We watched the Visa championships, too. DS has decided he wants to be a gymnast. He yells, "nice landing!" every time someone dismounts.

I hadn't seen some of the female gymnasts before and I really like Gabrielle Douglas and Kyla Ross. I hope they both make the team. It seems like they should.

Love Ryan Lochte. I know that there's a lot of buzz that he may out-perform Michael Phelps this year.

Lots of Olympic trials starting this weekend! Air times and channels will vary by location, but here are approx dates:

Saturday, 6/23 (today!)- Diving (men's 10 meter finals)
    Saturday, 6/23- Rowing & BMX
    Saturday, 6/23- Track & Field
    Sunday, 6/24- Diving (men's 3 meter, women's 10 meter and 3 meter finals)
    Sunday, 6/24- Track & Field
    Monday, 6/25- Swimming

It looks like all the above sports then continue (or are showing on repeat) throughout the next week.

Thursday, 6/28- Saturday 6/30- Gymnastics (men's & women's finals)

Can't wait! Gymnastics of course for me, and DD. She's also discovered syncro swimming, and both kids are into the diving since they are learning. Guess we'll be checking out a lot online as well. I'd love to watch the rythmic gymnastics, and the trampoline. There's not a lot I wouldn't want to watch.

I don't really know who many of the atheletes are..I watched the Visa championships as well, pulling for the 'old' ladies from last Olympics.
    1+1=5! Baby #3, Aug 2012!

If you can get the Canadian channels, it usually has much better coverage of the Olympics - you actually get to see athletes other than just Americans, and they cover more of the events. I find the US channels focus almost entirely on American athletes and the events where Americans are expected to medal.

We watched some of the swimming trials last evening and caught Matt Lauer's interview with Michael Phelps on Today this morning. DH does not think Phelps will do as well as he did in Bejing. I'm kind of in agreement. I hope he proves us wrong.

Winter always used to be my favorite Olympics but the last 3 or 4 Olympics I've thoroughly enjoyed the Summer events as well.

Pinetree - do you pay extra for the Canadian channels
    v&j: jan 2004
    ds: 5 june 2006
    dd: 1 may 2009