Quantcast
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

I agree, don't watch the clock too much. If youre worried about her getting to the hind milk, keep her on one side per feeding (no switching, burp and back to the same side if she'll take it).
    mama to Joey (01/20/04) and Teddy (04/29/08)

Agreed, watch the baby, not the clock. Some feeds may take a half hour, some five minutes. Just like us when we're wanting something - sometimes we just want a snack (or we inhale our food b/c we're busy) and sometimes we want to sit down and enjoy our meals slowly. As long as baby is having a good amount of wet and poopy diapers and as long as baby seems satisfied, just go with the flow.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

Laura's comment about pulling her lips out like a fish reminded me that I used to do this with DS1 to improve his latch. I also would push gently on his chin with my finger to encourage him to open wider. He went through a phase where he wanted to be on the nipple only which caused me some serious damage! I would also open my mouth and say open (which felt silly at the time but seemed to help!).

I remember that "open wide" issue with DD1. I would tease her with the breast until she would open wider and wider then kind of smash her in quickly before she could shut her mouth. Also don't forget to use the c-hold to get more of the breast in her mouth if need be.

As for her eating in short spurts, it may be fine. But if it isn't, you can keep her awake by stripping her so she's a little chilly, tickling her, putting a wet washcloth on her, etc. I had a super quick letdown, so my babies never ate for longer than 10 min and once we hit 3 months, it was more like 5 min, but it's so individual, it's hard to tell over the internet. Is she full after 5 min or is she falling asleep and you need to wake her after 5 min, KWIM?

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    I had a super quick letdown, so my babies never ate for longer than 10 min and once we hit 3 months, it was more like 5 min
    I AM SO JEALOUS of everyone who only has to nurse for 5 minutes. DS2 (and DS1 for that matter too) would stay on my boob *all* *day* *long* if I let him. I actually am "bad" and watch the clock and only let him nurse for 30 minutes
    Married - October 18, 2003
    Jack - July 24, 2008
    Ben - December 30, 2010

My DD is a marathon nurser too, even now at 16.5 months!
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Personally I would pay the $80 and have a personal consultation with a LC. But that's just me! FWIW, sometimes it helped me to express some milk into/onto the shield so that DD would 'get' that's what it was for. Sometimes if she tasted the milk, she was more determined to get to it.
    I think my DH was willing to shell out for it when I first told him about it last month within days of us getting home. But I think he thinks I have the hang of it now that I haven't approached the subject again. The second part of what you said reminds me though...at the hospital with DS (when the gave me the nipple shield) they showed me the syringe trick where they had me put a few drops of formula (because my milk hadn't come in yet...this was only Day 2) via syringe into one of the nipple shield holes while it was on me and then put DS right on so he would taste something and start sucking. So I have been doing this with DD every day with the shield I went out and bought (except using my own pumped BM and not formula). Has anyone else who used a shield found this to be effective or had the LC suggest this in the hospital?

Quote Originally Posted by semily24 View Post
    Do you have a fast letdown? If so she could be getting a lot of milk in just that first few minutes.

eta: Happy Birthday!!!
    Thanks.
    I don't know if my letdown is fast. I mean I really have never seen a slow vs. fast to know where mine ranks. I will say that I drip a lot on the opposite side from where she is sucking. (But then her crying sometimes starts me to leaking...so who knows?! )

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    But if it isn't, you can keep her awake by stripping her so she's a little chilly, tickling her, putting a wet washcloth on her, etc. Is she full after 5 min or is she falling asleep and you need to wake her after 5 min, KWIM?
    Yep, they taught us the wet washcloth trick in the hospital and my DH was doing that on her forehead while we were still in the postpartum unit but we haven't done it lately. I have been stripping her down sometimes though. And it's hard to tell if she's full but if I were a betting woman I'm going to bet no. Sometimes she will push off and then cry again (I went back to the smaller shield because she sucks better and has fewer push off and cry episodes than on the medium one that fits me better.) But occasionally she will stop sucking and close her eyes and I'll take her off and put her down and she's fine for awhile. More often than not though...she's rooting again quickly. That is why I have been supplimenting with what BM I pumped and of course then comes the whole "using a bottle" issue. I just didn't want her to still be hungry if it looks like she isn't getting enough from the breast.
    At 24w 4d my little boy...became an angel 11/7/07
    Rainbow baby arrived 12/6/09!

Added a dash of PINK 4/9/11

So I have been doing this with DD every day with the shield I went out and bought (except using my own pumped BM and not formula). Has anyone else who used a shield found this to be effective or had the LC suggest this in the hospital?
    When you are direct nursing, you can just hand express milk instead of using pumped milk, you know? It's much easier than dealing w/ getting out a bottle every time, IMO.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I need some advice with my almost 1 year old son! He will be a year old on the 24th and I want to start getting him prepared for weaning. Which brings me to: He has never taken a bottle always breastfed; Drinks very little from his sippy cup; does not eat any baby food anymore; and is a very picky eater! PLEASE HELP!

One of the nice things about waiting until a year or older to wean is that they can be distracted from nursing "out of boredom". Something I always found useful with my toddlers was to keep plenty of healthy "snacks" and sippy cups of water handy for "grazing" - some type of snack was always out on his little play table all day. Make sure to offer plenty of variety, things like cheese, yogurt, fruit, peanut butter (if you're doing that), etc. so you know that even if he is picking at his food, it's all high quality stuff and over the course of a day or so he's taking in good nutrition.

I did not wean at a year, but I did start transitioning "milkies" to something that was associated with nap or bedtime. If they asked during the day, I'd say "We have to go lay down, is that what you want?" If they're more into playing, they'll say no and accept a cup of water or a snack if they're truly hungry or thirsty.

Are you replacing breastmilk with cow's milk? You will want to begin the process slowly, offering him an oz. or two of milk in his sippy to get him used to the idea. If you have any pumped milk, you can mix an oz. with an oz. of cow's milk to transition, since breastmilk is sweeter and he's used to that taste.

Also, make sure that you wean from nursing very slowly, tapering off one feeding every few days or so. As I said, I found it most helpful to hang on to the nap/bed feedings until the end, just for the ease of our own routine. Early morning was easiest (I found) since I could just get up early and get breakfast going (not that it's easy to bound out of bed! But my toddlers were happy with fruit and cheerios instead of nursing.)

The slow transition is better for your body -- lets your milk production slow down naturally, which lowers your chance of getting engorged and therefore getting sick, and it also hopefully allows your hormone levels to taper gradually too (many moms report getting 'the blues' a bit around weaning). It also makes it easier on the baby, since you're just sort of slowing transitioning to a new routine without making too much of a big deal about it. Over the course of a few weeks you can sort of sneak it past him more easily than if you say "Big boys don't nurse anymore!" and call his attention to it, KWIM?
    mama to Joey (01/20/04) and Teddy (04/29/08)