Quantcast
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

poca - I had to use a shield for several weeks with DS1 - combo of a shallow latch plus flat nipples - and it was a godsend. If it's helping you get through this then by all means use it!! I found that with DS1 after a while it kind of trained him to open wider. You can try offering without the shield and then save it to use if she can't latch properly without it, but don't worry about using it for now. The right size should definitely make a difference!

Latch is tough to do over the internet - is there someone you can call and see in person? The LC from the hospital? (Though... if she had you pumping and all maybe we don't trust her advice so much....?) Is there a LLL Leader near you?
    mama to Joey (01/20/04) and Teddy (04/29/08)

And that's JUST about what I was going to come in here and ask (as it's 4am and I tear my hair out in frustration because now it seems although the larger size shield fits me fine DD is pushing away from it because...I dunno could it be too big for her mouth? UGH.) Anyway...where would I find a LLL leader or meeting or something because I would love to have help. I guess I could go back to the LC at the hospital (and when I did call the advice line the day after I left with a question she told me for 80 bucks I could have a LC come out to my house. Don't know which lady it would be since I saw 3 different LCs while I was there.) But maybe LLL would be better...do you know how to contact someone?
    At 24w 4d my little boy...became an angel 11/7/07
    Rainbow baby arrived 12/6/09!

Added a dash of PINK 4/9/11

Poca- this link should help you find your local chapter. The one in my city has public meetings every other week, and they also have a 24-hour help line. Good luck and hang in there!

http://www.llli.org/webus.html

ETA the link - d'oh!
    Last edited by semily24; 05-02-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Personally I would pay the $80 and have a personal consultation with a LC. But that's just me! FWIW, sometimes it helped me to express some milk into/onto the shield so that DD would 'get' that's what it was for. Sometimes if she tasted the milk, she was more determined to get to it.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Also call your insurance and see what's covered as far as LC visits. You're a teacher, right? I taught in a different state but we had great insurance here, and they covered a postpartum visit from either a home health nurse or a IBCLC. You may be more comfortable talking to another mom, though - I'd call LLL too once you find out who's in your area. One thing I've learned after all these years is that no one person has all the answers, it might take stew different opinions to hit on the right series of 'tricks' for you. (I personally spoke to three LCs and a LLL leader after Joey was born!)
    mama to Joey (01/20/04) and Teddy (04/29/08)

Poco - You can also use Google to find other LCs. Nothing says you have to use the ones at the hospital you delivered at. We see people from other hospitals. Plus there are private LCs that don't work in the hospitals. We have a county coalition and on our website we list all the support groups (and the one lone LLL) in the area, so your area might have something similar.

In general, if it hurts past the initial few sucks than the latch is likely an issue, but again, hard to give tips over the internet, like others have said.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

Malala - are you getting enough protein? rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    no one person has all the answers, it might take stew different opinions to hit on the right series of 'tricks' for you.
    I just want to second this - don't feel obligated to any particular LC, but make sure the one you pay for is an IBCLC.

Poca, I'd suggest that you get in touch with your LLL - expecially if there is a meeting you can go to this week, it would be worth it to get as much info as possible.

In the meantime, I'd try teasing her mouth with your nipple, telling her to open (emulating it with your mouth), try pulling her jaw down a bit.

And Jack Newman has great videos here: http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

Also if she's getting the nip/boob in there, it's okay to physically flap her lips out (like a fish), if you need to. That was sometimes helpful for me to remember.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Thanks so much everyone! Yesterday was better...I'm trying to time how long she stays on because I keep hearing in my head the people who said she has to stay on for 10 minutes to get the fattier hindmilk...but of course the problem in the beginning (besides latch) was she was pushing off after 3-4 minutes or she'd stop sucking and seems like she was falling asleep. I didn't have time to look up the links, call or google folks because today is my birthday...so yesterday I was getting pampered in preparation. LOL But I will get on that immediately...I really appreciate all the tips/advice!
    Last edited by pocahontas; 05-03-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    At 24w 4d my little boy...became an angel 11/7/07
    Rainbow baby arrived 12/6/09!

Added a dash of PINK 4/9/11

Poca- I wouldn't necessarily worry about the 10 minutes thing; after the first month my DS1 NEVER nursed for more than 5 minutes. I think some babies can effectively nurse very quickly. Do you have a fast letdown? If so she could be getting a lot of milk in just that first few minutes.

eta: Happy Birthday!!!