Quantcast
Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1555636465

Quote Originally Posted by mcgwigan View Post
    What ones did you try, taurus?
    Our lease is up this month on our second Sienna. This summer we were given a souped-up Suburban while in Wisconsin for a month because there were no vans, and DH and the kids became obsessed. DH felt it was proof the kids could "handle" an SUV (like, not hit other cars when they open their doors; push down a middle row seat to climb into the back, etc.). However, anything is fine for a month, and I am a small person who had to work up the nerve to drive the Suburban. And then when I did, it was mostly rural driving and parking. Very much NOT like where we live.

Not to mention that - yes, the Suburban was proof that we can fit 7/8 AND all our cargo in an SUV like we can in the van - but we can't even fit a Suburban in our garage, so to me it was all a silly moot point.

I was still staunchly pro-minivan but willing to consider others. So this weekend we looked at several cars, initially trying to check out all the SUVs that offer captains chairs in the middle, but then eventually looking at a couple traditional two-bench three-row SUVs as well:

Chevy Tahoe and Traverse
    Buick Enclave
    GMC Acadia and Yukon
    Infinity something
    Honda Pilot and Odyssey
    Acura MDX
    Chrysler Pacifica (brand new minivan for 2017, which DD has been obsessed with based on the commercials)

DS1 and 2 were so obsessed with the plush Infinity they wanted to assure us they'd be willing to sit three-across in the middle row on road trips. Yeah, right. We are SO used to spreading out in the van.

I simply do not understand why so many families I know with three kids love their Tahoe AND Yukons. There is NO trunk space. Where the heck do they put their stuff? How do they travel anywhere? The roof?

I mean, we fill our car to the MAX when we travel.

A million cars later, and I think it's the new Pacificia for us. That thing is a living room on wheels!

We have two but frequently have 3-4 kids with us. I can't see having something other than the van for trips but really want a mid sized sedan for local. Our Accord easily fits 2 teens and an adult in the back (albeit none are larger than 5-5 and 130#).

I think part of the problem is that DH has a company car as our 2nd car (basic, old Prius) so there is really not "fun" car in our lives (his life.) We'd love to have a luxury smaller car as our second car...or even a truck!

Taurus- I didn't comment before because I only have 2 kids, but I have taken road trips with my sister in her minivan with all 5 of our kids, and with other friends in their SUVs (Toyota highlander and a gmc something or other). My friend and I recently drove back from south of Salt Lake City to Idaho (so like 4 hours) with 5 kids in her Tahoe. It was sooooo tight! I was shocked by the lack of cargo space- all the kids had bags and back packs stuffed under their feet and we had stuff packed all around the baby. We should have taken a pic- it was nuts!! So anyway, I'm definitely team minivan for more than two kids and any type of long trip!

ETA: My Bil and sil have the infinity. They have three kids and have to use a roof rack to fit everything even just for weekend trips to the lake! But they are happy with it.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Gia, yes, I truly cannot fathom how people do road trips with more than 2 kids without a van. A roof rack would be essential.

We have three kids - 8, 6 1/2 and 5. All are very tall for their ages. (My 8-year-old is nearly 5' talll.) We have a Honda Pilot and a Civic.

The Pilot is awesome for any kind of trip. We have a roof rack, which is ideal for putting all of the bags, etc. for a vacation kind of trip. We keep snacks and things you need urgently in the main vehicle and set up half of the third row. It allows for two in the middle and one in the way back, as well as space for stuff.

During the week, the Pilot is perfect for carting around kids and a few extras as needed.

My old-timey Civic is my commuter car for work. I do use it with all three kids, including two boosters, on the weekends. It's fine for short trips, and I have taken it to my parents two hours away, but it's not ideal and I like to avoid doing that when I can.
    The best things in life aren't things.

Quote Originally Posted by mkredhead View Post
    The Pilot is awesome for any kind of trip. We have a roof rack, which is ideal for putting all of the bags, etc. for a vacation kind of trip. We keep snacks and things you need urgently in the main vehicle and set up half of the third row. It allows for two in the middle and one in the way back, as well as space for stuff.
    The Pilot was our biggest disappointment of the weekend based on the fact that there is still a low center console thing to step over (or on) to get into the 3rd row. I don't get that at all! That doesn't bother you? We really wanted to like the new Pilot.

I really liked the driver seat/experience though.

I can see how the roof rack is a must!

I am hoping to be able to keep my van and then have a "fun" smaller car -not sure if we'd really want to pay the insurance on an extra vehicle that will mostly sit around though. But I still have time to figure that out.

Taurus- a new car! Fun!! The Pacifica looks gorgeous

I for one, am mad at myself for NOT getting my van sooner. There is no way now we could live without the 3rd row. I still have to separate my kids or they fight like maniacs. I will say though, that I was never impressed with my "trunk" space in my van when I hauled around the stroller and "baby" gear. Now that I don't have that in my car on a regular basis, I have more room. But, often times, I still carry around 4 captain chairs for all of the sporting events and with those in there, the trunk space isn't great either.

I do love the look of the big SUVs, but, I love the convenience of my van even more and those sliding doors........ they are the best!! Even though I no longer have to carry an infant seat, the sliding doors still come in handy with the kids. I love that I can open them before I'm even at the car and the big ones usually run ahead of me and hop in while the youngest takes his sweet time climbing in.
    S+B Est. 11.09.02
    DS1 06.28.06, DD 07.23.08
    DS2 03.07.12