Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast

Default 3 Kids Anyone? Part 2

Time for a new thread!

Previous Thread
    Women are angels, and when someone breaks our wings
    we continue to fly...on broomsticks.
    We are flexible like that.

Subscribing!

I can't believe I'm about to be a mom of 3 soon. It makes me a little nervous but I think it will be easier than adjusting to 2. Any thoughts on this??
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

It makes me a little nervous but I think it will be easier than adjusting to 2.
    For us, adjusting to the third was the easiest transition. Now, zone defense is a bit harder when you are out.
    EJM - 1.9.05 | CLM - 5.9.06 | MEM - 9.27.07

Ok good to hear . Though I've already said I won't be going anywhere anymore with 3 kids (well, by myself at least!). But then again I said that when I was going to have 2 and now I troop them everywhere. I guess it just takes a little getting used to.
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

I agree that everything inside the house was fine--our feelings as parents, each child's well being and their relationships with each other, etc. The boys adore their sister. Logistics outside of the house are admittedly much harder for me than I expected. I am behind on appointments for everyone because it's hard for me to take them all or because I have to space them out based on when I have my mom or hire a sitter to help me (by staying home with the other 1 or 2). I have 3 4-hour blocks each week when the boys are both at preschool, but I can usually fit in just one errand then because she naps during the rest of the time--she takes her best naps when they are not home.

We can handle going anywhere as a family of 5 but if we try to, say, meet friends somewhere, than we can barely manage a conversation because we need all our resources on the 3 kids. (ETA that my boys are 20 months apart and are currently 5 and 3.5. The baby just turned 1.)

I can't do much with the 3 on my own, although that has gotten easier as she has had to nurse less and as DS1's behavior has improved (we went through a very long phase of challenging behavior that started before she was born, mostly the boys get really wild when we are out in public, with DS1 initiating it).

It is harder to leave them as the 3 together is a big challenge for my mom, and bedtime is not really a one-person job around here (unless the boys watch TV, which we don't usually allow at night but I sometimes have to use when DH is traveling and I'm on my own). ETA: My parents together do fine with them all.

Everyone else tells me I make it look easy and I do really enjoy it and feel like I have my dream job, but I sometimes miss how easy it was to do things with just 1 or 2 kids and I feel like the boys aren't getting to be involved in a lot of activities right now because I have my hands full. But then I remind myself of all that they are getting by having each other, and I try not to succumb to the pressure where I live to have your kids overly scheduled. We stay home a lot because it is easier for me--we are almost always home from 1:30 pm on on weekdays after preschool. I know that will change once she no longer needs 2 naps. She is a very easy baby overall but gets VERY fussy right before conking out when we are "on the go." I prefer to be home for naps.

I have also learned I can hardly post on CC without needing to go back and edit 50 times because I am always so distracted that I can barely type coherently.
    Last edited by Taurus; 04-28-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I can't do much with the 3 on my own, although that has gotten easier as she has had to nurse less and as DS1's behavior has improved (we went through a very long phase of challenging behavior that started before she was born, mostly the boys get really wild when we are out in public, with DS1 initiating it).
    Have others found this behavior to be true when baby #3 is close to arriving? My two older DC's have both had the most atrocious and obnoxious behavior as of late, and I can't help but wonder if it's because they are sensing a big change coming. The 6yo yells at me about everything (chores, school, getting dressed, etc.), and the 3yo has started asserting himself more and more in the form of telling me "no" when I tell him to do something. I try to discipline immediately, so I feel like it's all I get done in a day.
    Women are angels, and when someone breaks our wings
    we continue to fly...on broomsticks.
    We are flexible like that.

Taurus - how old are your kids?
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11

I've found going from 2-3 has been easier than going from 1-2. But my boys are almost 5 and 7 which makes a huge difference. They are in school and can do a lot of stuff on their own.
    i do go many places with all three of them and it really isn't that bad. We've gone grocery shopping, Target, dinner with friends. Both boys do sports but luckily DH is able to get home in time for that and if he isn't our friend takes my oldest to practices.

I agree with Taurus in regards to leaving all 3 of them with the grandparents. It's even to much if both my parents are there. So if anything has suffered it has been date nights between DH and I. Although his parents are coming for a month in May and they've already told us to go out and we will be getting a hotel room for a night! I'm so excited to sleep past 6!

tgr68 I don't know if it's an age thing b/c my oldest is 6 and I've seen his behavior change so much. Yelling etc. He can be so sweet but man I'll take the terrible 2's over this

DD who is almost 10 months is the easiest, most easy going baby. I've finally let go of the guilt of her not having a true schedule especially compared to when my other two were babies.

Seriously having a 3rd is the best decision we made. Sure it's hard at times but it's so worth it! I wouldn't change a thing.