Quantcast
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Couch to 5K Challenge - Part 2

This group is for those participating in or have questions about the C25K running program. For a basic overview, check here:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Women are angels, and when someone breaks our wings
    we continue to fly...on broomsticks.
    We are flexible like that.

I'll start off this thread!

I have been thinking about starting this for ages now and just never did it. So this morning I made myself get up early and ran W1D1 and it was great! I think I need to post in here to keep myself accountable to someone!

I would love to run a 5K for the 4th of July, but I don't know if that's too soon. If so, I'll definitely try for one in the fall.

Anyone else starting off like me?
    K&K 10.5.02
    E 3.8.05
    M 6.24.09

Today is W2D2 for me. We did W2D1 on Sunday and it was rough, but doable! I am actually liking the program this time. Last time we started, I dreaded each day...this time I am looking forward to it!!

So we did the 3 mile breast cancer walk on Sunday, which means that TODAY was W3D1. It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be!! Anyone else out there doing the program???

subscribing...

I've been thinking about doing couch to 5K for a while now and started today W1D1. I am totally out of shape -it didn't help that I didn't have a water bottle and didn't have a plan on what to do with my keys and phone, so carried them - I did it on my lunch break. there's a park with not an official track but 2 loops approx. the size of a track. I used the stop watch on my phone, so doing time. I did measure out 3 miles in my car -if I do this from my office it's down to a T intersection and back. Ideally I'd like to start running after work since I never have time when I'm home, but it'd be easy to run for 30 minutes after work before picking the kids up from daycare.

Just a question though since I'm doing this for weight loss too -I know it says to only do this every other day. Is there any sort of exercising that I could do on the days inbetween to help my metabolism? would it be OK to just walk and stretch or maybe do some free weights?

Katie Are you still hanging in there? I'm going to try to post after each walk/run to hold myself accountable!

mcgwigan Congrats on starting! I usually do something on the off days like swimming, yoga, stationary bike, or the elliptical. I do weights as well.

mcgwigan Congrats on starting today! I'm emabarrassed to say that I have to start over myself. I was so gung ho about it and then pulled something in my foot during that first day of running (bad shoes) and could barely walk for a week. I was so disappointed. So, I need to get some good running shoes and start up again this week.

bethnjim Good work for keeping up with it and good luck with Week 3!
    K&K 10.5.02
    E 3.8.05
    M 6.24.09

I'd like to join up. I decided to start running (which I never thought I'd do). I've just discovered C25K and tried it a few weeks back. I was doing well, but had to take a business trip out of the country for two weeks. I have very bad knees and can't run outside (only on a treadmill), so no running while I was gone).

I'm liking this so far! My knees are holding up well, and I actually feel better. So I got home on Saturday night, and today I took my first run. It went fine! So I'm officially in. I don't know if I'll run a 5K really, depends on the knees, but I'd like to try.
    Arrena Ruth 08.07.05 Julian Mitchell 08.01.08
    America is the only country to go from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between ~ Oscar Wilde

I've been going back and forth if I want to do it. 25 years ago I had issues running - shin splints, bursitis, stress fractures - and now I weigh a lot more, so who knows how my body will take it.

Over the weekend I walked a 5K on the treadmill, twice. It took an hour because I didn't want to start out too fast. This morning I planned on doing the same, but my ipod was on the fritz and I couldn't imagine walking an hour without music. I had the C25K on my treadmill so I decided to do W1D1.

Is the 20 minutes supposed to be the total including the 5 minute warm-up? I walked 5 minute, did 20 min of intervals, and then did another 5 min of walking. I am needing to lose a lot of weight so I wanted to work out for 30 minutes.

I also plan on doing the bike, videos, swimming, and strength training.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

I think that the 20 minutes does not include the 5 minute warm-up & cool down, so it should really be 30 minutes all together.

I have done horribly at this -I was trying to do it on my lunch break, but we've had so much rain I couldn't go, then when I did, it was muddy -seems like if it's not one thing it's another. I brought my clothes with me to go for a run after work before I go pickup kids from daycare. Now my DS2 seems to maybe be getting sick, so if he takes a turn for the worse, I'll be skipping it again so I can go get him.