Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Substitute Wedding Guest?

A good friend of mine is getting married, and DH can't get the weekend off to go with me. It's a 12-hour drive so I don't want to go alone. One solution would be for my sister to drive down with me. She wasn't invited to the wedding but does know the bride reasonably well and they are friendly. Is it okay to ask the bride if it's okay to bring a different guest in place of my DH?

I should add that I meant to get opinions on this earlier before asking the bride, but I just now e-mailed her to see if she'd mind. Now I am kicking myself for not getting opinions on this before asking her.

In my hometown (small, southern town) that would be totally acceptable. But weddings tend to be less "couples oriented" and more "friends and family." But I know some "big city" weddings are less flexible.

I don't see a problem with it. It's not like you're asking to bring your boyfriend instead of your DH, IYKWIM
    Cake or Death?

I had a similar situation last year except it was a friend that I wanted to bring. I was flying into the wedding from another state and my DH couldn't come with me. I thought it would be fun to have a friend (that lives in that other state) join me as a sort of 2-for-1 friend event. My bride friend at first said she wasn't sure if it would work b/c they'd invited other "singles" that weren't asked to bring a guest so it might look bad. However, she got back to me that they had enough space and that my friend was welcome (she knew the bride through her sister BTW so not a total stranger).

I had a great time!
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

This would be fine in my circle as well. I hope the bride is agreeable!

It would be a-okay in my circle as well (DHs midwest and my CA family).
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

It would be very odd in my circle.

Since you are traveling a distance, I would go ahead and ask. For a local wedding, I wouldn't think of asking to do it.

Well, what did the bride say? I have no opinion. Personally, it wouldn't bother me at all.
    My three sons :DS age 7 and DS age 4, DS age 2

I think as a bride, I'd be so thrilled you were driving 12 hours that I would be happy for you to bring another guest besides your DH.

I did go to a wedding where a friend of mine brought her sister as her plus one. She didn't know if anyone else she knew would be going. I don't think anyone had a problem with it.
    I'm surrounded by boys!
    DH 6/29/02 ~ DS1 3/2/06 ~ DS2 10/15/09