Quantcast

Default Diminished Ovarian Reserve and TTC #2

We are not TTC as of yet. DS was just born last June. However, because I am the beginnings of what looks like diminished ovarian reserve issues, we are going to start again in June. Prior to conceiving DS, my antral follicle count (on the cycle he was conceived) was 8 and my highest FSH was a 10 (so borderline, but I've only had FSH tested twice and I know AFC's are more accurate for determining reserve - mine was low, but not drastic yet).

I'm just wondering if anyone out there that has reserve issues and had to have medical help to get PG with #1, got PG without medical intervention (and stayed PG, I should add) the second time around. I'm trying to determine how long we will TTC w/o medical help. DH and I really want to try and enjoy TTC for a bit this time around - last time I was stressed about it from day one, lost two pregnancies and took 27 months to conceive. I'd just like to enjoy it for a bit this time, but not sure how long to give it before going back to the RE. Thanks for any advice.
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1963d8
    BFP 10/05/09 DS Born June 2010 DS2 Due May 2012
    m/c 12/07 - m/c 9/6/08

Hi there-
    I had my DD in 2008 and at the time, my FSH was 8. It took 10 months and I didn't get pregnant until three months after I had an HSG (which might have helped clear out my tubes).

I then tried to get pregnant in 2009 through the beginning of 2010, only to find out that we had some male factor issues due to medication my husband was on at the time. We went through IVF in February 2010 and it failed. I found out my FSH was 10 when they started me with the IVF, and my antral follicle count was something like 13, which is considered borderline normal. My RE was not concered about my FSH or antral follicle count, but I was on the highest stimulation protocol possible for the IVF. I did end up having three embryos to freeze after the fresh transfer of two failed. My RE told me that even if I am/was running out of eggs, my egg quality was still good based on what they could tell after the egg retrieval. He believes the fresh IVF failed because I had to be stimulated with a lot of estrogen to produce a lot of eggs, which in turn makes a hostile environment for an embryo to implant.

After the failed IVF, my husband went off of his medication and I got pregnant on my own in July, the fourth cycle after my failed IVF. That resulted in an early miscarriage. I then had a chemical pregnancy in September. I ended up finding out in October that I have Factor V and MTHFR (two different blood clotting disorders), so that may have been the cause of the miscarriages, or it could be that I really am running out of eggs and all I have left are poor quality ones. I ended up going to a fertility acupuncturist and doing my frozen embryo transfer on a natural cycle and got pregnant with one after transferring all three of my frozen embies.

It's really hard to say how long it would take for you to get pregnant naturally, but I would recommend seeing an acupuncturist who specializes in FSH issues. My acupuncturist had tons of success with women with low ovarian reserve, and I tend to think most of my issues stem from my blood clotting disorders. Sorry for the long response!

Another DOR here (at least that's what they said when I started IVF#1). I think my AFC was 10. (Correction...I just looked back at the notes I kept of all my IVFs. It was 13.) My FSH at that time (2007) was 6.something. But I only produced 7 eggs (5 fertilizing and none to freeze after transferring 2). That was the cycle that produced DS#1. It was then that I joined IVF Connections and realized maybe the title "Poor Responder" was a little more accurate than DOR. But my RE seemed to think it was definitely DOR because of age. (I was 37.)

Fast forward...IVF#2 I don't remember the AFC but I do remember my FSH was now 8 at that time (only a year later Summer 2008). Again only 7 retrieved but only 4 fertilized and none of them were as stellar as the ones from IVF#1 where DS#1 was conceived. So then to add to the DOR and Poor Responder title now there was possible Poor Egg Quality. Result=chemical pregnancy.

IVF#3 my AFC was only 5. I was freaked out. (They didn't do another FSH because it was the same year in October.) 7 eggs retrieved (began to think this must be my lucky number since I couldn't get anything higher) but only 3 fertilized (as you can see that number continued to go down every time). We had to put back all 3 to try for the best possible chance. Result=chemical yet again.

The bright light in it all came a year after the last chemical when we conceived DS#2 without ART which came as a complete surprise because we had just switched clinics and got charged a ton of money for immune b/w gearing up for IVF#4. So yes, I guess would be the answer to your question. We were able to get pregnant and stay pregnant without medical intervention the second time around...and the irony is we weren't ever able to stay pregnant WITH medical intervention. Go figure...
    At 24w 4d my little boy...became an angel 11/7/07
    Rainbow baby arrived 12/6/09!

Added a dash of PINK 4/9/11

Thanks so much for both of your stories. I appreciate them.

We got very lucky and only had to go the clomid route to get DS. I consider him a complete miracle. I only produced one follicle, but obviously one was enough and it was a strong follicle. I am young (29) and have heard that there is a better chance of having okay quality of the eggs even if DOR is an issue. However, like I said earlier, I had two early losses before conceiving DS. We found out later that my lining is thin due to estrogen issues (and corrected that the cycle we conceived DS). So it may have been a lining issue that caused the losses, not a quality issue...but we'll never know I guess. During that clomid cycle, my RE said I was not responding well and that he wanted to start injects if we did not conceive. But we did!

After talking lots about it, DH and I have decided that we are grateful for one child. We don't want to put the stress on our family to conceive a second that we went through to conceive DS. So we will not do more than clomid again unless both DH and I have some huge personal revelation that we should. The thing is, DH has it in his head that now that we've had one child, it will be easy to get PG with the second. I have tried, in quiet ways, to let him down gently that DOR does not work that way. But he is convinced. I want to have hope for that as well. But an AFC of 8 at 29 years old is not very encouraging for that.

But like I said, we are ecstatic to have one child. In a perfect world, we would have 3 (the number we always talked about). So I guess we are just going to let nature take it's course for at least 6 months and then we'll talk again about where we're at. I may have my FSH or AMH checked before we start TTC - just to get a baseline. My AFC was taken in September 09...I was pregnant for the next 9 months after that and then resumed cycles in August '10.

pocahontas Your story gives me hope that it is possible to conceive (and stay PG) naturally even with this diagnoses. Congrats to you!

linekelei Congrats on your pregnancy! June is a fabulous month to be due
    m/c 12/07 - m/c 9/6/08

I had diminished ovarian reserve when trying to conceive my third baby, (FSH was also ten, I believe), and I got pregnant with my first round of injectibles. I had used Clomid to conceive my other two children. After having my daughter, I did get pregnant naturally, but the first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage and the second natural pregnancy ended with PPROM, and I lost the baby. This was not related to conceiving naturally, however.

Edited to add: I misunderstood what you were asking, so my post is probably not relevant.
    Maxwell Davis born 2.24.05 Riley Elizabeth born 8.11.07Daniel Dwight born at 21 weeks. Always in my heart. Gabriel Thomas born 1.2.11

Thanks Scout We overlapped TTC when I was TTC#1 and I'm sorry you had to go through so much heartache. Congrats on Gabriel!

I'm actually happy to hear both answers (the "it happened naturally" and the "we had medical help") because I think that it gives me a reality check. Everyone just keeps saying "It will happen easily the second time around." Almost all of me knows that this is not true with DOR, but part or me just really hopes and gets caught up in their excitement. So it's good to hear both sides.

I am so grateful for DS and will be okay if we have an only child. But I want to at least give having more a shot. So it is good to just be frank with myself that if we aren't will to do more medically, than that shot will probably be less OR take a longer time. I'm okay with that as long as I'm expecting it KWIM? Anyways, thanks for your responses again ladies.
    Last edited by JMD; 02-10-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    m/c 12/07 - m/c 9/6/08

It has been a long time since I posted, I have DOR due to removal of most of my ovaries in relation to surgery. We got pregnant naturally very young (for us) and then had no trouble getting pregnant the next several times but ended with two blighten ovums and a chem pregnancy. After b/w and consult with fertility doctor there was little they said they could due because at 29 my FSH was 13. We decided to go with acupuncture - I was pregnant with a healthy pregnancy 6 weeks later. I really believe in the idea that she help bring forth the best quality egg.

For me I believe our issues were egg quality (which in young women is not always the case with DOR) especially since we tried for a 3rd - got pregnant twice and both ended in miscarriages at 10wk and 6wks in relation to chromosomal issues. Like you we had decided after our first we would only "go so far" with fertility and when trying for a 3rd we decided not to even explore any help.

I would total explore acupuncture as a means to support your efforts and good luck.
    Hailey Morgan 8-6-2003
    Logan Danielle 5-25-2007
    Sugar and Spice and everything nice - two little girls!

almostthere Thank you for your story. I am considering accupuncture if I can talk DH into the cost. I have a friend who did it in conjunction with a successful IVF recently, and she raves about it. I have heard it can keep FSH lower - which I think probably helps with pregnancy even if it doesn't fix irreversible reserve issues. So it is definitely something on my list to check out if we hit the 6 month to a year mark with no success. I am also going to look into dietary changes. Other than that, I'm just going to live life and enjoy every second I have watching DS grow.
    m/c 12/07 - m/c 9/6/08

bumping for rosebud
    At 24w 4d my little boy...became an angel 11/7/07
    Rainbow baby arrived 12/6/09!

Added a dash of PINK 4/9/11