Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wedding Gift Help

We are attending a wedding for friends of ours this March. The couple has not registered but the bride told me that her FH really loves to cook and that she really loves to eat his cooking. So, I'd like to put together some sort of cooking themed gift basket. Any ideas on what to put in there? Or do you have another suggestion for a gift?
    Kristen & Jason 5/19/06
    Our Peanut has arrived 5/20/09
    Our Bean has arrived 11/30/11

I love themed gift baskets. Not sure if I would give it for a wedding or shower, but instead of a basket, you can start with a colander, a wok, salad bowl, pasta serving bowl (you get the idea) and build the theme from there. I would stick with either non-food or non-perishable items in the basket. You could also add in a cookbook or magazine to go along with the theme.

Enamel colander, olivewood spoons, bottle of boutique olive oil, fancy gourmet pasta in a fun shape and flavor, gourmet pasta sauce, cheese grater/rasp
    Wok, bamboo tool set, rosewood chopsticks, small bowls, bamboo chopping board
    Salad bowl, salad tossers, oil and vinegar cruets
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

What about an etched Pyrex baking dish with her new name (check out the DIY Christmas thread) along with some fun gadgets. Things you normally wouldn't get but are super fun (maybe a mandolin slicer or some meat tenderizers - I know I normally don't buy myself those things, but would totally use them if someone bought them for me). You could also add a GC to a gourmet grocery store or something if you'd like to.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

I may be boring but I'd just go with a GC to Williams somoma. Kitchen gadgets are hard IMHO because you don't know what they do or don't have.

Also- we love to cook but our kitchen is TINY so gadgets have to meet a really stringent criteria in order to make the cut here. So that's something to keep in mind if space is an issue for them.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    I may be boring but I'd just go with a GC to Williams somoma. Kitchen gadgets are hard IMHO because you don't know what they do or don't have.
    I agree. It's safe.

Given what the other posters have said, another thing to consider is an Amex Gift Card or cash. I can do better at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% coupon than I can at Williams Sonoma, depending on the item.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

My only argument to that (both would be very much appreciated) is that WS or Sur la Table show that you thought about cooking and their hobby where as cash or AmEx is a standard wedding gift KWIM?
    I give cash for 99% of wedding gifts so I'm not anti cash at all!!

Yeah, I agree that it shows thought if you give a gift cert to a specific store, but for me, I'd rather have the cash and do with it what I please. I might not even need any more kitchen gadgets. FWIW, my feeling is that if people don't register, they would rather have the cash anyway.

What about a gift subscription to a good food magazine? I like Donna Hay magazine (it's Australian so they probably wouldn't usually get it), or Martha Steward Food, or Epicurian or something?

Otherwise, I'd go with the GC as well, and WS would be perfect as it's food related.
    us 10.21.00 little boy 10.24.05 little girl 05.14.08 baby boy 05.18.10