Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ummm Thanks for the correction! I recommended HeLa to a co-worker yesterday who has a long plane ride. I got sad when I realized it took the author 10 years to write to book. Do we have to wait 10 years to read another book from her?
    Baby Boy 11/18/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Lila55 View Post
    Ummm Thanks for the correction! I recommended HeLa to a co-worker yesterday who has a long plane ride. I got sad when I realized it took the author 10 years to write to book. Do we have to wait 10 years to read another book from her?
    I hope we won't have to wait 10 years! I think it's sad too that Dorothy didn't get to see the book published... (if I remember correctly... been a while!)

One Day by David Nicholls - Oh my goodness I loved this book. If you're interested in reading it, please do not read any articles or look at pictures about the upcoming movie because you may come across spoilers. It still sticks in my head, months later.

Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz - WHile the setting was particularly interesting to me (admissions officer from the college I attended) I thought it was evocative and beautifully written story on its own.

Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood - this is the second in a dystopian trilogy. The first one, Oryx and Crake, is one of my all time favorite books and this one was great as well.

Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor - Sprawling, kind of trashy historical romance set in restoration England, a huge bestseller 60 years ago and total fun.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz - I'm totally behind the curve here, but really enjoyed this - an inventive, witty, and totally original voice telling an almost-mythic story with surprising heart.

Fiction:

The Help
    Saving CeeCee Honeycutt
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
    Water for Elephants

For all of the above, I just loved the stories. I also love the happy endings. I'm a sucker for neat and tidy happy endings.

Non-fiction:

Not by Chance Alone: My Life as a Social Psychologist by Elliot Aronson - I was a psych major, and social psych was my favorite subject. This books is inspiring to me personally, and it's like your grandfather telling you his stories.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot - the title and blurb made it sound so boring, definitely not something I'd have picked it despite I love reading non-fiction and science-related books, so I'm grateful to whoever recommended it on CC!

Algernon, Charlie, and I: A Writer's Journey by Daniel Keyes - I read this after reading Flowers for Algernon. It was quite fascinating how he came up with the book.

Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard by Chip Heath and Dan Heath - what the title said... how to change. Easy to read. If you like Made to Stick, you'd like this too (though I did like Made to Stick a bit better)

Genetic Rounds: A Doctor's Encounters in the Field that Revolutionized Medicine by Robert Marion MD - learned about what Medical Geneticists do. They are like medical detectives.

Fiction

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Love Book 1 and 2. Don't like Book 3 AT ALL.

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - Love Book 1 and 2. Don't like Book 3 AT ALL.

Unwind by Neal Shusterman - very interesting premise. Another dystopian YA.

The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist - another dystopian, but for adults. It may not have much action but the story stays with me.

Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters by Mark Dunn - clever, cute little book that reminds me a bit of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill - this is a Canadian book from 2007. It is amazing, perhaps one of my new favourite books. It tells the life story of a young African girl who is abducted into slavery from her village and taken by slave ship to South Carolina. But years later she gets freedom, serves the British in the Revolutionary War and is able to resettle in Nova Scotia, but then journeys back to Sierra Leone. Beautifully written, engrossing story and really hard to put down. This book will stay with me for a long time. The main character Aminata Diallo is just amazing.

My faves:
    fiction -
    Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
    Room by Emma Donoghue
    non-fiction -
    Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall by Anna Funder

It was not a year of great books for me. My favorites were My Hollywood Life, Room, Unbroken and the Hunger Games trilogy.

I read nothing good in 2010! BLAH! I didn't read much and what I did read was trash. I'm downloading samples of many of these books to my kindle even as we speak. Thanks!
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Fiction
    American Wife - Curtis Sittenfeld
    The Irresistible Henry House - Lisa Grunwald
    The Kommandant's Girl - Pam Jenoff
    The Wet Nurse's Tale - Erica Eisdorfer

Nonfiction
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
    Living With the Active Alert Child: Groundbreaking Strategies for Parents - Linda Budd
    What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - Haruki Murakami

Room by Emma Donoghue is on my list for 2011. Hokiegirl - Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall by Anna Funder sounds great; I've also put that on my list now! Kris97 - the Margaret Atwood dystopian trilogy sounds very interesting, too - I'll have to check those out.
    Melissa & Dave ~ 5/31/03 * Becca ~ 1/14/05 * Bridget ~ 4/9/08 * Allison ~ 1/19/12
    The Mommy (& Everything Else) Journal