Quantcast

Default Drinking out of Crystal Glasses???

Hello, first time mom-to-be here . I am only about 5 weeks along but can't get in to my Dr.'s office for a few weeks so I haven't had the "informational" appointment. I just realized that maybe I should not be drinking out of the glasses I currently have at home as all of my glasses are crystal.

Did most of you get the warning about drinking out of crystal glasses? I have had the glasses for so long I did not even think about it! Was this on your list of things to avoid?

Thank you!

Never heard of a "crystal" warning...
    At 24w 4d my little boy...became an angel 11/7/07
    Rainbow baby arrived 12/6/09!

Added a dash of PINK 4/9/11

I think because it's lead crystal - correct? I have heard of some caution about this.

I'm not sure if all crystal is leaded, but it might be wise to stay away. I'm really not sure if it can leach from the glass.

I know that they say to let your water run for a few minutes because the lead from the solder in the pipes can leach into the water as it sits in the pipes, so maybe it would be OK if you don't have your drink sitting in it for an extended period of time?

Huh, interesting. My MW def. didn't cover that one! Although I didn't avoid many of the avoidables.

March of Dimes says drinking from leaded crystal should only be done in moderation. They also say running water for 30 seconds should be sufficient to clear the pipes.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/aboutus/681_9146.asp
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

I'd never heard of this either, but I don't do much drinking out of crystal glasses!

Of course, I hadn't heard of the frozen shake/lysteria issue either and still don't hesitate to drink them.
    DD Feb '08
    DS June '11
    DD Jan '15

Even if you haven't seen your dr, someone in that office should be able to answer your question on the phone.

I have never received a "crystal glass warning" from my OB, but I think it's also assumed that most people aren't drinking out of crystal on a daily basis. I think whether you should be concerned about drinking out of crystal depends on a lot of things, including your personal comfort level and what you are defining as "crystal." The concern with crystal stems from the lead content, but not everything that is commonly considered crystal in the US is actually high in lead. Even if you are talking about true lead crystal, the biggest no-no would be storing liquids in lead crystal--pouring a liquid into a crystal glass and then drinking it right away is less of an issue. That said, while I personally would not worry about drinking out of lead crystal occassionally while pregnant, I would prefer not to drink every liquid that I consume out of lead crystal, pregnant or not. It just seems like a lot of potential lead exposure over a lifetime, and lead can do nasty stuff. If every single glass in your house is actually lead crystal, I personally would buy some new glasses for everyday use and keep the crystal for special occassions.

I was going to say what amew said, especially about the worst exposure being from stored liquids in lead crystal and that drinking from lead crystal on a daily basis is unecessary exposure. If what you have is just cut glass made to look like crystal, than no big deal. If you are really worried, call the dr.'s office and explain your concerns, and when you do go in for your first appointment, you can ask that they add a lead screen to your first round of bloodwork (since you're a first timer, you may not know, they tend to take blood a lot during pregnancy!).
    Adding to the family - August 2009