Quantcast

View Poll Results: How did your labor start?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • water broke

26 44.83%
  • menstrual-type cramping for hours or days before labor

13 22.41%
  • mild contractions that slowly got stronger and closer together

19 32.76%
  • painful contractions 3-5 minutes apart right from the beginning

11 18.97%
  • other?

7 12.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How did your labor start?

Curious about how your labor started and how you knew this was "it"/how did you know when to go to the hospital?
    * Wife, Nurse, Mom-squared, Yogi! *

My water broke with both. I had menstrual like cramps for days before, more so with #2. Unfortunately,I never started contracting on my own and had to have pit.
    1+1=5! Baby #3, Aug 2012!

My mucos plug started coming out about 2 hours before my water broke. When my water broke I felt this burning pain, and a sense of a 'pop', but there was very little water - to the point that I started to doubt my water had really broken. But within 30 minutes (as we were getting ready to go to the hospital) the contractions started very strong. I had to hold onto the wall in the garage before getting in the car the contractions were so strong.

I voted for the 3rd option, but really I had menstrual type cramping that I rather quickly realized were actually contractions. With DS1 I remember that my lower back was achy all night and I could not sit down and knelt on my exercise ball because that's what was comfortable -the contractions came about 3 hours later. With DS2 I'd been having lots of braxton hicks contractions, but woke in the middle of the night with what felt like menstrual cramps and I quickly realized that it was really contractions.

My labor progressed quite quickly with DS1 and so when I realized I was in labor with DS2 (3:30am) I quickly woke DH so we could get the ball rolling to go to the hospital and I had him at 9am. With my first, I had an inkling I was in labor at 11pm, woke DH around 1 and had the baby (csection) at 10:10.

I initially thought it was when my water broke at 6am but I realized the evening before I was feeling crampy. I thought the cramps were due to DTD and doing some heavy lifting.

I had a homebirth, and I can't imagine when I would have went to the hospital - I suppose around the point we called the MW when ctx were 2 mins apart. Never really thought about that.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

My water broke with no warning whatsoever.
    Heather & Tim 06.08.02
    Clayton Travis 9.12.06
    Brady Patrick is here! 10.10.10

1st baby - painful contractions that weren't getting closer together but were so painful I couldn't see straight. I stayed at home as long as I could (almost 13 hours) but finally called uncle and went in. My water broke an hour after I got there, I was 4cm dialated...but I didn't have her for another 9 hours.

2nd baby - 4cm dialated for a month with no pain. Water broke in the middle of the night with no warning and still no painful contractions. Got to hospital and had her 2 hours later.

2 very different stories.
    A&K 05.18.02
    Baby Girl 09.06.05... Angel Baby Oct 2007... Baby Girl 10.21.08
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Hmm...since I had two, I'll answer in a comment:
    - With DS, I had started losing my mucus plug for a couple of days. Then I had my membranes stripped and my water broke the next morning.
    - With DD, I had menstrual type cramps for a while (days), lost my mucus plug and then the next morning noticed that my contractions were a lot stronger, went to the hospital a few hours later, and I was almost fully dilated.

I woke up around 3:30am (on my due date) b/c I felt uncomfortable, but it was not obviously labor, mostly lower back pain. I tried to go back to bed , but I couldn't sleep, so I got up to pee and my water broke. Although that wasn't as obvious as I thought it would be either - it wasn't a ton of fluid - but I called the OB on call line anyway and they told me to come in. BUT. I was dilated to 4cm since 38w so my OB told me not to dawdle about going in if I thought I was in labor. However, I didn't have any symptoms whatsoever prior to active labor - except for the dilation, which I was not aware of at all when it was happening.
    Last edited by laura; 09-08-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

My labor started at 1 am when I felt the baby do a huge move- like a complete flip or something. Contractions started then, 10 mins apart, and at 3:30 I had a huge one that made me throw up and it was game on from there. Contractions were 6-8 mins apart, but lasting for 2 minutes. We got to the hospital at 6 and I was only 1 cm, but 30 minutes later I was already at 4 cm.

I was 1 cm and started to lose my mucous plug almost 2 weeks earlier.