Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Iphone or Ipad + cell

My DH just purchased me an Ipad for our anniversary! He put alot of thought into this gift (there is a first for everything ) and even spent a night after work riding around ON HIS BIKE to different Apple stores because they were sold out everywhere. And then he biked home 20 miles

I'm trying to figure out if this is a better purchase for me than an Iphone. He thought I'd prefer an Ipad because it functions like a kindle - I love to read. The ability to download movies for the kids is a huge benefit because we spent a good portion of our day on the go and go back east biannually. I often go up to the bedroom (where our office space is) to check e-mails, double check recipes, look something up, etc. It would be great to just quickly check something in the kitchen and then be done with it.

The biggest reason why he probably purchased the Ipad instead of an Iphone is because I've lost my cell phone at least half a dozen times. No matter how careful I try to be, I cannot keep track of the thing. The ipad would be fairly hard for me to lose (I think).

Things I think I might miss by keeping the Ipad instead of getting the Iphone: GPS (huge), the portability of it, being able to get online anywhere - again since I am in the car/on the go for much of the day.

I will be thrilled that I get to have either, honestly, but am just trying to figure out which one I'd get more use out of. Would love to get feedback from Iphone/Ipad users!

What about a 3G ipad?

I have both (but my ipad doesn't have 3G, by my choice, b/c I have an iphone) and if I had to pick ONE I would probably go with the phone, but I use the camera on my phone all the time and that is a huge benefit to me over the ipad at this time. OTOH, the ipad is very quick, sleek, smooth and much larger/easier for browsing the web, emails, etc. My husband has an ipad too and he is in love with it. We both have kindles also and he loves the ipad much more for reading books. (I haven't had time to read much lately. )

ETA: If you decide to go with the phone, I would wait a couple of weeks since they just announced a new one this week but it won't be in stores until June 24, IIRC.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

if you can't have both, then i'd say the phone. the new phone has some good features. i like the ipad for recipes in the kitchen and reading books, we've had ours for a while now and i've not used it for either yet. i find that i get a lot more use out of my phone, maybe i'd use the ipad more if i didn't have a laptop?
    noa 6.6.04
    henri 9.10.06

Honestly, if it was a thoughtful gift that he put a lot of effort into, then I totally vote Ipad. In my mind that's worth a lot more than some cell phone features. Wouldn't he be hurt if you said you wanted something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Tree View Post
    Honestly, if it was a thoughtful gift that he put a lot of effort into, then I totally vote Ipad. In my mind that's worth a lot more than some cell phone features. Wouldn't he be hurt if you said you wanted something else?
    I agree 100% with this. If you find a few months down the road that you want a phone too, it'd make a lovely Christmas gift.

I have both but I use the phone much more. I can go days without using the ipad. I have mainly for work travel so that I don't have to lug my mac with me for day trips but my job is also particular in that I need to show videos.

However, my phone has been stolen before and if you easily lose them you might not want the smaller phone. There's a neat function if MobileMe that allows you to locate your phone or ipad. You don't even need the GPS as I did not have a 3G sim card in my ipad for the first month and location services still worked.

I think I'd keep the ipad in your case as it was a gift and you can keep cheap cell phones in case you lose them.
    "He who knows he has enough is rich" - Lao Tzu
    --<--@ Tiffany @-->--
    LJ ~ Chart

a small drinking island with a fishing problem

I vote for the iPhone. I used to lose or break my cell phone on a regular basis, but because the iPhone is more $$$ I've been much more careful. It's still in one piece 18 months later.

The iPad doesn't appeal to me at all. My phone pretty much does all the same functions. If I need to take something with me that has more options (which isn't often) I just throw my 13" Macbook in my purse.

BUT, I'd feel really bad exchanging the iPad after the adventure your DH went through to get it.
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

Practically speaking, I would prefer the iPhone. I live mine and it seems like the ipad has a lot of the similar features but on a bigger application without phone and camera. The iPhone has a kindle app and you can download and books you've previously bought if you have a kindle. I think an ipad would be good for traveling but for me it is a bit heavy to carry around all the time.

Gift wise, I think you know whether or not your dh would be hurt if you exchanged it.

I would not recommend anyone who is prone to losing phones, to get a smartphone. That's just throwing money away, and iPhones are as expensive as they get.

I agree GPS is very nice to have. I'd recommend a portable GPS that stays in the car though if you are out and about by yourself regularly. I have GPS on my Blackberry but I never use it while driving; it's only useful if I'm the passenger.

People seem to be hot and cold on the iPhone Kindle app. I personally can't imagine trying to read a book on a phone screen. I have a regular Kindle which is very nice because it's the size of a normal book. I imagine the iPad size is similar enough to that.

Yah, I don't know if the kindle app would be for everyone. I have stanza too which has free books but I've only used it a couple times. I don't have a kindle and I don't really want one. I prefer reading an actual book. Maybe because I wear contacts or it's just preference but I like the look and feel of a book. I think a kindle wouldbe good for traveling but since I don't travel often I can use the app on my phone and pack a couple books.