Quantcast
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Carrier help

Okay, I'm torn between which of these two carriers to purchase. This will be my first try at babywearing. I have done a ton of research and have it down between the Moby and a Hotsling. I have a 12 day old newborn who does not want to be put down. Which one do you suggest??

Thanks ladies!

I don't have a moby so I don't know, but my newborn did not like the cradle hold that a sling offers, so my sling didn't work for the early days. Do you have any shops nearby where you can take your baby and try the carriers?
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

For a baby that won't be set down, I'd recommend the Moby. You'll feel like kiddo is more stable when you're bending over/reaching/etc. You might want to consider the Sleepy Wrap, though--from what I understand, the fabric is a little thinner, which will make it a little more breathable for summer if you're somewhere warm. The other thing you could consider would be a Bali Baby Breeze wrap... they're stretchy gauze (I think) so that they're more breathable but still nice and supportive. As a plus, they're much prettier than the Moby, too.

Another thing with the Moby/Sleepy is that they won't work after babe is 15-20lbs... the stretch has too much give. The BBB wraps are supportive enough that they work either way. Or, if you were up to buying used or spending the $$ new, the Beco Butterfly works great for a newborn through toddler and can go on front or back.

Having said all that, I have both a Sleepy-type wrap (thinner stretch jersey), a pouch sling, and a Butterfly, and my favorite when DD was a newborn was the Sleepy. Nice and snuggly, and hid all the postpartum bulges quite nicely.
    Reader, thinker, babywearing junkie (feel free to ask me questions!), and happy mama to DD 10-25-08!

Roxygirl - I used a Moby with my first DC and had no issues with it but I was too afraid to try anything else. This time I'm part of a BW'ing group so I've gotten first hand knowledge/experience and will be using a Ring Sling this time around for the first few months then use my SSC's.

I hear a lot of babies don't like the cradle position in slings and it seems to be the hardest to get them comfortable. I'd go with a sling that is versatile and lets you do a T2T (tummy to tummy) hold, kangaroo hold, hip carry, etc. I hear the new hotslings are adjustable so maybe that would work, but no one I know has tried one yet. Otherwise the Moby or even a non stretchy wrap would be great
    ~*~Danea & Patrick 10-16-05~*~
    ~*~Hailey Madison 03-03-07~*~
    ~*~Erik Daniel 09-06-10~*~

yes, loved my wrap when DS was new. it really didn't appeal to me because it seemed like such a debacle to wrap the fabric around, but after a few tries, I could do it pretty quickly. the pouch sling did not work for us then.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

Roxygirl--Another vote for a wrap. Pouch slings are hard to use with a newborn because they're not very versatile, and for a novice babywearer, it's hard to get a good fit. Wrapping is intimidating at first, but it's a lot more comfy for both of you.
    Us ~2005 * #1~2006 * #2~2008 * #3~-2010 * #4 due 9/19/12

Roxy, agree that the Hotsling is a good sling, but if your baby hates the cradle hold you're screwed. Mine hated it but if we bounced on the ball once she was in there she'd fall asleep for hours.

One other thought - I LOVED LOVED LOVED my Mei Tai which could do a front hold just like the Moby, and then I kept using it for her as she grew the first year (and you can use it after that, we just got out of the habit and now I don't wear her on my back, too bad). There are a bunch listed on ebay for decent prices.
    marriage 10.2.04
    baby 10.23.07
    baby2 8.20.10

I did not have a Moby, but was not comfortable using my sling for my newborn -I really bought the sling for hip carries when he was old enough (which I really like, btw!). Anyway, I would vote for the Moby for a newborn even though I have no experience with one!

I just have to drop in here and give props to having an easy to use, SV ring sling. I used it yesterday to wear DD2 during DD1's swimming lessons and it worked fabulously!! I got quite a few comments on it at the pool. It never ceases to amaze me at all the parents who miss out on the ease of baby wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me at all the parents who miss out on the ease of baby wearing.
    I just mentioned this to my DH this weekend. It blows my mind to see all of the moms pushing travel systems or lugging infant seats around the pool. Or carrying babies while chasing toddlers. Babywearing is just sooo much more convenient!
    Us ~2005 * #1~2006 * #2~2008 * #3~-2010 * #4 due 9/19/12