Quantcast
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

I've been using my PS a lot lately too bc it fits well in the diaper bag and it's quick to throw on. Is the hip carry the one with their legs dangling? I set DD sort of sideways with her legs extended in front of her inside the carrier so she can see better, but I should try other carries too with it.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Yeah, it's just like you're carrying them on your hip, with their legs hanging down. Great for bigger babies and then toddlers who like to get down a lot but are too big to carry far, otherwise!

DS2 (8 weeks) and I are loving the Moby--he is in it practically all day. But I live in the middle of Texas, and it is crazy hot here. I feel like the baby is roasting in the Moby, and I might as well just strap a furnace to my chest. Any recs for baby carriers that are ideal for really hot weather? I had a Hotsling that I have now misplaced and could just buy a new one, as it was a lot cooler. But it was also less comfortable to wear for hours at a time. Would a mei tai be better?

amew- I'm thinking of ordering this. I can't spend more money on carriers since I already own five, so I figured this was an inexpensive option. I've been wearing DD2 nonstop in my Kangaroo Korner ring sling made of solarveil, but it's starting to kill my back. I'd like the support a wrap provides, so I'm hoping the one from etsy works. It says it's good for wearing in the water or just for hot climates. And even though I'm in WI, it gets hot and sticky here in summer! I tried wearing DD in the Moby two days ago. It was only 73 degrees outside, and we were both balls of sweat in no tome.

Thanks, Becky. Maybe I'll order one of those seller's mesh or woven wraps. I like the idea of sticking with a wrap, but I need a more breathable material. There is a store in town with tons of carriers, so I may see if they have a woven wrap that I can try out.

I tried wearing DD in the Moby two days ago. It was only 73 degrees outside, and we were both balls of sweat in no tome.
    Yes, love the Moby but it's so hot. I have been wearing it in 100 degree heat, and it's killing me (and I am not usually bothered by hot weather). Though it's a really nice way to keep DS warm and cozy in cold grocery stores, etc.

Pouches for hip carry--If you like your pouch, you would LOVE a RS. That little extra ability to tighten is awesome! That's by far my favorite carry for the pre-walker.

Hot??--Yeah, the Moby is hot. You can look for any gauzy wrap (or even make your own), and it will function like the Moby but breathe. RobynScott posted her Gypsy Mama Baby Bali Breeze in the last thread. I think they're pricey, but if you look at DIY on TBW, you would be able to find out what kind of material to use, and some of it doesn't even need to be hemmed! Plus, it's more comfy than solarveil which is scratchy on bare skin!
    Us ~2005 * #1~2006 * #2~2008 * #3~-2010 * #4 due 9/19/12

Quote Originally Posted by mkvh View Post
    Pouches for hip carry--If you like your pouch, you would LOVE a RS. That little extra ability to tighten is awesome! That's by far my favorite carry for the pre-walker.

Hot??--Yeah, the Moby is hot. You can look for any gauzy wrap (or even make your own), and it will function like the Moby but breathe. RobynScott posted her Gypsy Mama Baby Bali Breeze in the last thread. I think they're pricey, but if you look at DIY on TBW, you would be able to find out what kind of material to use, and some of it doesn't even need to be hemmed! Plus, it's more comfy than solarveil which is scratchy on bare skin!
    I actually wrote out a post and lost it when my connection went down - ugh! MKVH is right - I definitely recommend checking out the GypsyMama/Wrapsody Bali Baby Breeze - love mine, and it's more supportive than the Moby b/c it's not stretchy. (merjmo- still need to get you the size - it's in the car) I bought mine off of FSOT on TBW. She also makes water wraps that look very tempting.

Love the wrap, but lately, I've been using my Babyhawk a lot b/c I find it the fastest to get on/off.
    Robyn & Scott - August 29, 2004
    * SM - July 17, 2007 *
    * BH - APRIL 14, 2010 *

Quote Originally Posted by amew View Post
    Yes, love the Moby but it's so hot. I have been wearing it in 100 degree heat, and it's killing me (and I am not usually bothered by hot weather). Though it's a really nice way to keep DS warm and cozy in cold grocery stores, etc.
    Oh my gosh, you are crazy. And I got too hot wearing it when it was only 73! We had 90s and high humidity a few weeks ago, and I didn't even consider wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkvh View Post
    I think they're pricey, but if you look at DIY on TBW, you would be able to find out what kind of material to use, and some of it doesn't even need to be hemmed! Plus, it's more comfy than solarveil which is scratchy on bare skin!
    Cost was my main concern. I can't justify spending a lot of money on yet another carrier.

I think I have washed my solarveil ring sling enough times, because it really isn't scratchy anymore. I think the mesh material of that etsy seller's wrap looks pretty nice. Plus, I think it will be good for when we go to the aquatic center.

Thanks for all the input, Becky, Robyn, and mkvk. I visited my local nursing/babywearing boutique today and borrowed a lightly padded ring sling (a HAVA) to try out. It is obviously lighter and cooler than the Moby since it's one layer of breathable cotton instead of multiple layers of that heavy knit. Plus the saleswoman told me ring slings are generally the easiest carriers to nurse in, which would be a big plus (I have nursed in the Moby, but I find it difficult to do so). I am going to try it for a week since I have no previous ring sling experience and see how I like it. If I find that I really prefer the wrap, I'll get or make a woven wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBeckyLP View Post
    Cost was my main concern. I can't justify spending a lot of money on yet another carrier.

I think I have washed my solarveil ring sling enough times, because it really isn't scratchy anymore. I think the mesh material of that etsy seller's wrap looks pretty nice. Plus, I think it will be good for when we go to the aquatic center.
    What I meant (I wasn't clear) is that often you can MAKE a wrap very, very cheaply without much, if any, sewing so long as you know what fabric to buy. Sorry! I left out about 2/3 of my thought. My SV is 3 years old, and I still find it scratchy. Bummer.
    Us ~2005 * #1~2006 * #2~2008 * #3~-2010 * #4 due 9/19/12