Quantcast
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Default Baby Carrier and Sling Info III

Baby Carriers and Slings - Why do we wear our babies?

Welcome to the wonderful world of babywearing! Wearing your baby is an excellent way to promote a strong parent-baby bond and foster a loving, nurturing relationship.

What do the experts say about wearing your baby?

From www.askdrsears.com:

A baby learns a lot in the arms of a busy caregiver. Carried babies fuss less and spend more time in the state of quiet alertness, the behavior state in which babies learn most about their environment. Babywearing improves the sensitivity of the parents. Because your baby is so close to you, you get to know baby better. Closeness promotes familiarity.
    See also:
    The Benefits of Babywearing
    Why Wear Your Baby? Nurturing Today & Yesterday
    Why Wear Your Baby? Psychological Advantages
    Why Wear Your Baby? Health Advantages
    To Have And To Hold
    The Advantages of Baby Wearing
    Cuddle Up! Slings and Baby Carriers
    Increased Carrying Reduces Infant Crying
    The Importance of the In-Arms Phase
    Baby Wearing
    Baby Wearing or Bucket Baby

Various Babywearing groups meet across the country- (formerly NINO groups). Get help and support for babywearing locally! They are a great way to try out different carriers as well as get help using the ones you already have.

TYPES OF CARRIERS

Pouches: Great for newborns and for hip carries with older infants; very easy to use - "the training wheels of baby carriers". Getting them sized correctly is very important. Easy to sew on your own if you're crafty. Compact for the diaper bag.

Examples:
    Peanut Shell microfleece pouch (www.goo-ga.com)

Hotslings cotton pouch (www.hotslings.com)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Slings: These are highly adjustable and very versatile. You can do a variety of carrying positions in ring slings, though they can be harder to figure out at first. They are made of a long piece of fabric which wraps around the caregiver‚€™s body and over one shoulder and is held together with two large metal rings. Ring slings have a ‚€œtail‚€Ě, which is fabric that hangs down from the rings. There are different shoulder styles for ring slings which affect appearance and comfort. Here is a link with drawings and descriptions of different shoulders - Sleepingbaby.net

Examples:
    Ellaroo sling (http://store.attachedtobaby.com/sear...x?categoryid=3)

Zolowear (www.zolowear.com)

Asian Carriers/Mei Tais: This is a simple fabric soft carrier, usually made of one large piece of fabric to hold the baby and two long straps which wrap around the caregiver. It is modeled after traditional Chinese mei tai carriers and truly lets you have both arms free. Baby can be worn on your front facing in our out or on your back. Long straps can sometimes feel cumbersome to wrap around, especially if you're out somewhere, but once the carrier on it is very secure, comfortable, and easy to use - you just tie knots to attach it. There are several other variations such as Onbuhimos (Japan) and Podegis (Korea) that utilize just one set of straps instead of two.

Examples:
    Babyhawk Mei Tai (www.babyhawk.com

Kozy Carrier (www.kozycarrier.com)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wraps: This is a long piece of fabric that wraps around the caregiver and baby. Wraps are really versatile and can be worn in lots of different ways--front, back, hip, nursing, cradle, kangaroo. They are either woven, stretchy or gauze. Stretchy wraps are pretty forgiving and are good for beginners; gauze wraps are very light; and wovens are the most supportive (and most expensive). Wrapping can be complicated to learn at first, but it is worth it! If you have a newborn especially, wrapping allows them to be cuddled close to their caregivers and is a great way to do skin-to-skin 'kangaroo'.

Wraps are measured in meters. The shortest are rebozos at ~2.7m, and the longest are usually about 5.5m. You can do all possible carries with a long wrap, but may have considerable length left over when doing some carries; with a rebozo or shorter wrap, you cannot do all possible carries, but you won't have an excessive amount of fabric to work with when doing carries that require less fabric.

Moby stretchy Wrap (www.mobywrap.com)

Hopp woven wrap (www.attachedtobaby.com)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hip Carriers: Great for older infants and toddlers, this carrier allows you to carry babies on your hip. Some brands are mass marketed such as the Playtex Hip Hammock. The Scootababy is a new hip carrier of very high quality and comfort.

Examples:
    Ellaroo Mei Hip (www.peppermint.com)

Playtex Hip Hammock (mass marketed)

Soft-structured carriers: These are very popular for carrying older babies and toddlers as the carriers are very comfortable with good support, yet are not bulky or heacy like commercial (mass marketed) backpack carriers. They can be worn on the front or back.

Examples:
    Ergo (www.ergobabycarrier.com)

Beco (www.ecobabies.com)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Front Carriers are a soft carrier designed for holding newborns and infants upright. They are mass marketed in stores such as Target, Wal-mart, Babies R Us. The redesigned "Bjorn Active" is the most comfortable and supportive of these carriers, but it is expensive. Examples include the [URL="http://www.babybjorn.com/index.asp?language=US"]Baby Bjorn /URL]and Snuggli. There is some controversy about the effects of this type of carrier on a baby's spine development.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Backpack carriers (mass marketed)
    : Usually used for toddlers and older children, this carrier goes on your back. It is great for long walks and hiking. Examples include the Kelty Kids line
    Kelty Kids line

Wearing Your Baby

Once you acquire a sling, you may still have questions about using it correctly. There are so many excellent online resources for correct carrier use.

Safe Babywearing
    Instructions for Moby Wrap, Ella Roo Wrap, Hug a Bub Wrap, Ella Roo Lightly Padded Sling
    (those directions would work for other ring slings as well)
    Instructions For Wearing Many Types of Slings
    Ring Sling Instructional Videos
    Troubleshooting Common Sling Problems

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Do-it-yourself and miscellaneous

Would your child like a sling for his or her dolls and stuffed animals? Most sling makers also make child slings. Check out ATB's great selection of child slings

Are you creatively inclined? You can make your own baby sling!

How to Make a Sling
    No Sew Ring Sling
    Lightly Padded Sling Pattern
    http://www.thebabywearer.com/lists/Sewing.htm

Nursing in a Sling

Slings are excellent for discreetly nursing your baby in public. Most nursing mothers find that a ring sling has the adjustability desired for comfortable nursing. An open tail provides a nice cover for your baby as s/he eats, and it can double as a burp cloth to wipe up any little messes that happen.

Here are some sites with information on nursing in a sling:

TaylorMade Slings position info
    On The Go With Your Breastfed Baby
    Nursing in a Sling

Looking For Local Babywearing Help?

Try this site to see if there is a local babywearing group or class near you:

Wear Your Baby

Where Can I Get a Baby Carrier?

There are so many places to shop for baby carriers. The following is a list of some of the more popular sites.

Stores offering all types of carriers:

www.attachedtobaby.com
    www.peppermint.com
    www.kangarookorner.com

Pouches & Ring Slings:
    www.hotslings.com
    www.goo-ga.com
    www.zolowear.com
    www.sleepingbaby.net
    www.mamasmilk.com
    www.sakurabloom.com
    www.kangarookorner.com
    www.mayawrap.com
    www.taylormadeslings.com

Asian Style/Mei Tais/Soft-structured Carriers:
    www.kozycarrier.com
    www.babyhawk.com
    www.freehandbaby.com
    www.sachicarriers.com
    www.meitaibaby.com
    www.meitaicarrier.com
    www.sachi.com
    www.rosiebaby.com
    www.ecobabies.com

Wraps:
    www.attachedtobaby.com - one of the best places to buy wraps, large assortment
    www.birdiesroom.com - excellent place to buy wraps, especially Didymus
    www.stellaris.com (BB Slen & Bebina)
    www.pieceofcloth.com

**You can also buy and sell carriers on a number of different message board communities, especially www.TheBabyWearer.com's For Sale or Trade board**

I was just thinking of posting in here about my sling -Thanks for the new thread Scooter!

I just wanted to comment that I got a peanut shell sling to use for DS2. I was never quite comfortable with using it as a sling when he was new and tiny, but I just used it for a hip carry last week and I totally love it!! He's 7 months now and was totally happy to be in it on my hip. I was outside with him in it for about an hour and nothing was sore or anything when we went in. My back gets a bit stressed when he is in my baby b'jorn for longer than 20 minutes it seems.

Thank you to Sevilla for our first thread and her compilation of data. There are many women on CC who are very knowledgeable active members of TBW, so ask away!!!

Baby Carrier and Sling Info II
    Baby Carrier & Sling Info I

***Now open for posting!!!***

mcgwigan, Ack, you beat me! You know, I've been doing the same thing. I had a newborn pouch sling that was smaller and tighter and worked great the first few months, but it is now the perfect size for hip carrying. My regular pouch sling hangs too low to be comfortable for very long on my hip, but the newborn one is the perfect length for it! Also, does your Baby Bjorn have the lower back support on it? Some do, but some only criss cross in the middle of the back. I find that the lower back support is crucial in any kind of carrier besides a sling. And the lack of support is why I tend to use my Moby wrap or mei tai most of the time instead of the sling.

scotter I actually bought it with hip carries for my toddler in mind....however, I was pregnant and I never was able to try it with him since it barely fit around me! I wish I had gotten one for him sooner!

ETA - No, my B'Jorn doesn't have a lower back support- just criss-crosses. If I were a SAHM I'd totally invest in something else, but seeing that I work full time, I will just make sure with the sling, b'jorn, stollers, whatever. Especially since I get a feeling that once my little one is mobile, that's what he'll want to be-mobil, not strapped to mama anymore!