Quantcast
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mwp VIII

What you're describing is not what is supposed to happen, so it seems like something is "off". If milk leaks out the back/bottom of my shield, it means my suction isn't correct and needs to be adjusted. If I lean forward, the milk often flows faster, but it shouldn't be necessary for regular use. You could try smaller shields. I was going to suggest a tighter hands free bra, but since it happens when you're holding the shields as well, I would try to swap those out.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Taurus- I have the exact same problem. One of the lactation consultants at the hospital even checked it and was stumped. She got me smaller flanges, but they were definitely too small. She said the loss of suction/leaking/thumping noise may just be due to the shape of my anatomy. I don't have to lean forward, but I definitely can't lean back or it will happen.

If anyone else had this and found a way to fix it, let me know!
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Thumping, yes! That is the best word to describe it. So...not normal per your LC, huh, Gia? I keep meaning to have my LC come watch me pump.

Laura, thanks for chiming in, too.

I dragged all 3 kids to BRU today only to realize they don't carry the small shields. Grr. I was going to buy some online, but wonder if it's even worth it.

I'm not sure if it's worth it. If you don't pump often, it might not be. I know what you mean by thumping. It happens to me at work if I'm not paying attention. In my case it's bc the suction has broken or bc I'm overflowing one of the bottles. Today it happened bc I couldn't get a good fit/position on one side and I get repositioning and breaking the suction mid-pumping.

Not a solution to your problem at all, but as an aside, for occasional pumping I love my Avent ISIS manual pump. No muss, no fuss.

Taurus- Do you have the suction turned all the way up? If I turned the suction all the way up on my PISA I would get a weird thumping thing. If I turned it down just a little bit it would smooth out.

Headed back to work on Monday - questions.

DD will be 2.5 months exactly when I head back to work on Monday. What size bottles should I leave? Should I plan for her to eat every 3 hours? Start with 2 ounces with extra available? DD will be home with DH/babysitter/grandma next week. Is 2 ounces too small a bottle?

I've pumped/stored in 2 ounce increments (for the most part)

What did you do about using fresh/frozen/rotating? I'm thinking I should try and use at least one frozen bottle/day to keep my stash rotated - does that make sense? I have about 100 ounces in the freezer now. - the earliest will expire in August.

So, if she drinks 3 bottles / day - 2 fresh and one frozen? All frozen to get it out of the freezer? (I'm thinking no on that one)

Also, my current plan is to pump at 9:30, 12:30 and 3:30 - hopefully having last fed DD around 6:30 am.

What else should I be thinking about? You'd think I'd remember from last time, but I don't!

(and - funny enough - I just went to the back of my freezer and finally threw out about 20 ounces pumped for DS in April 2008!)

Thanks for any help / advice. Here's hoping I can keep this up for another 9.5 months!
    Robyn & Scott - August 29, 2004
    * SM - July 17, 2007 *
    * BH - APRIL 14, 2010 *

I would test with a bottle feeding now. My DD took 4oz from the get-go and when she went to daycare (but around 18 weeks), I sent five 4oz bottles and she drank them all the first couple of weeks. You could start with the small bottles, but leave extra milk since it's at your home though. Also, are you gone 8+ hours? Bc 3 bottles doesn't seem like enough to me if so.

Laura -I'll be gone 7:30 - 6. I was thinking feedings around 9:30, 12:30, 3:30 and nurse when I get home? Will definitely leave extra milk! 6 ounces is definitely not enough for the day. You're right, 12 oz would probably be better.
    Robyn & Scott - August 29, 2004
    * SM - July 17, 2007 *
    * BH - APRIL 14, 2010 *

Re: frozen. I made sure DD would take frozen milk before I froze too much, but I didn't start rotating my stash until recently. Before I just used it as "back up" in case I didn't pump enough to meet her demand, but I always have so far. Now we do bottle #1 is frozen and the rest fresh. I also have some 1oz frozen that I use for mixing with cereal now. The rest of my milk is frozen in 4-5oz though. HTH!

Robyn, have you not given her a bottle yet? How much does she normally take in a bottle? By 2.5 months, I would think 4 oz would be more avg but it does depend on your child. I always send one more bottle than I think she would need, so I send 4 4oz bottle. Even if she only takes a few oz from that last bottle, I'd rather that than her go hungry waiting for me to get her.