Quantcast
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Mwp VIII

I agree with boiler. That is how we started also. I just wanted to say though that DD never took less than 4oz once she got the hang of the bottle. The first couple of tries she only took a couple of oz bc she was stressed out by the bottle, so I would "top off" with bf-ing. But she has always been a pig and taken a big feeding from the bottle. So that might not be abnormal, but we figured it out by offering less to start.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    In regards to the baby getting to much milk, I was more referring to the way the babe sucks from the bottle vs sucks from the breast. It's 2 different mechanisms. And she may not yet know how to stop with the bottle. 4oz seems like a lot to me at only 5w. How did you come up with that? Did you offer 2, then 3, then 4?
    Honestly, I gave 4 oz. because that's the size of the bottle. She doesn't always finish it. The first night, she took 3 oz. with no issues and slept 2 hours, so I think she was full. Of course, it couldn't always be that easy, right? It's very possible that even though she's full, she'll keep sucking, so she does take in more than she needs.

I'd get 4 oz out but start with a 2oz bottle. Since it is BM, you can bring it to room temp and have quite a bit of leeway with timing. So have the bottle ready when she first starts making hunger cues vs waiting for screaming. When she finishes the 2oz, burp, then offer another ounce, burp, then the 4th if she is still hungry. My guess is that she's getting very hungry, gulping because she's not used to bottle feeding, then getting overfilled and spitting up what doesn't fit in her tummy.
    I'll start out with 2 oz. tonight and tell DH to burp her often.

I guess I also have to remember that she has to learn how to suck on the bottle, and not take this as some sort of sign that we'll fail again. Nursing her just seems so much easier...

For those who use a PISA or the like, how often do you replace your membranes?
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Honestly, with DD1, I pumped at work for 11 months and replaced them once when I tore one. I think if you notice a decrease in suction, you're supposed to replace them or something like that.

I replaced one because it tore, but the other is still "factory issue" and I've been pumping almost 10.5 months. No decrease in suction that I've noticed.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

I pumped for a year and replaced my membranes twice.
    DD Feb '08
    DS June '11
    DD Jan '15

Default Mwp VIII

I broke out my brand spankin' new PISA tonight. I pumped 3 oz., nearly all from my right side. My left side was just a trickle. I knew I was lopsided but now I'm wondering if ds is getting anything from the left side.

And is 3 oz a decent amount? DS is 6 weeks old. It was late afternoon, and he had nursed fairly recently.

This is all in preparation for going back to work when ds is 4 months old. I want him to get used to the bottle - he took it with no problems tonight. I'm just using the Medela bottles that came with the pump.
    m & r 08.09.03
    miranda 10.30.06
    evan 05.04.10

mimiieliza - That's awesome! Three oz rocks!
    wife 08.10.02
    mother 11.01.03 and 09.01.06

I am a sometimes pumper (SAHM) and have a PISA. I am wondering if perhaps I need smaller shields. It's difficult to explain, but I have trouble maintaining suction. If I use the horn/shield to push the boob up and then into my chest, I can maintain section where the large outer circle of the shield makes contact with my breast. (All of areola is within the circle of the shield.) It takes effort/proper holding to maintain that suction, but I can do it. All of my nipple gets drawn into the tube when pulled out/suctioned, but so does part of the areola (beyond the base of the nipple), and when it retracts, suction where the areola meets the base of the tube part is lost. Drops of milk will pool there or leak (back toward the actual shield/onto my breast) if I don't lean completely forward.

I tried using a hands-free bustier last night, and it was much easier overall but I still had the retracting areola issue and I got about 2 ounces on one side and closer to 3 on the other (and that was at feeding time--DH was giving her pumped milk at that time.) I've never pumped more than that at one time, ever, and I nursed DS2 for 14 months.

(ETA: also, is there supposed to be like a flopping/collapsing sound of the base of nipple/areola pulling back away from the plastic with every release of suction--like suck--collapse--suck--collapse or should there be a consistent suction there? I wish I could explain this better.)

TIA!
    Last edited by Taurus; 06-17-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Default Mwp VIII

Taurus - I was wondering the same thing. My situation is exactly what you described. The leaning forward thing gets old, but otherwise milk leaks out of the bottom of the shield.
    m & r 08.09.03
    miranda 10.30.06
    evan 05.04.10