Quantcast
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Betsy, I think that is actually common for kids not to go in water that is over their heads. We were lucky in that our local pool is gradual. Not exactly zero or whatever it is called, but enough that she could play in it without us having to hold her or float. Makes a huge difference and explains why she's fine in the ocean.

So I got out the tub of fall clothes today to see what I had, what I need, etc. Yeah. She grew. A lot. Almost all the 3s are too short or just right at her ankles. So I measured her today and she has grown 2 full inches in the past 6 months. From under 20% to over 50%. Unfortunately, she's still sooo skinny she's barely on the weight chart and even on the smallest size of adjustable waist, pants are often too big on her. It looks like it is going to be a fall of dresses and tights.

Carrie, I just got out old clothes for Eli over the weekend. Tis the season! That's great that Paty is doing so well with her reading. Noah just moved to the Pre-K 1 room, and from what the teacher tells me, he is already ahead of what they are learning. But Noah is absolutely thrilled about new toys. He will not stop talking about school now. I had thought that he might pick up more reading skills by now, but I'm just glad he's happy.

Karen- good to hear from you! Congrats on little Jonah (that's my nephew-to-be's name) and I'm so glad that Julia Rose is doing well.

Betsy- glad everything is settled with the move now. And that Millie is getting more sleep.

Miaclear- how is school going for A? I hope he loves it!

We are getting into the back to school groove. I have been back to teaching for three weeks now and my class is settling down and we are having good days and a bit cooler weather. Noah is still something else. He cracks me up every five minutes and is very, very opinionated. Example: The other night he wanted a Curious George book, and I said I put them all downstairs. He replied "No. You did NOT put them all downstairs!". Um, how do you even argue with that? He is sassy but has been better behaved both at home and at school. I attribute it partly to his last two teachers being fabulous and knowing how to manage his behavior without getting into power struggles with him. He is quick to pick up on things like song verses and slip-ups from mom and dad.

He is mostly sweet to his baby brother. He worries about him choking on toys and will take things away from him. He worried that the other babies at daycare would hit Eli. He loves it when Eli smiles and laughs at him, and is very concerned when he cries.

Sleep is a lot better. Our issue now (because don't we always have to have one?) is eating. He wants junk all the time, and every time he is hungry or thirsty it ends up in a mini tantrum because he doesn't like the healthy choices I offer. I stopped giving him after school snacks, but he usually takes one bite of dinner. I give him his dinner again for his bedtime snack and he still doesn't eat it. But he complains all the time that he's hungry! It sounds like he eats okay at school, must be peer pressure.

All in all, he's an awesome kid! I'm so lucky.

Married~ 6-15-02
    Noah~ 2-14-07 * Eli~ 3-5-10

Giving us a bump.
    I've had a hell of a night and I don't know if it is the age, the xx chromosomes, my crappy parenting, or what. The fits are escalating, both in frequency and emotion. Tonight, she didn't want to go to bed, wanted to keep playing. I gave her the typical countdown (5 min, 3 min, 1 min), then picked her up and carried her upstairs. The fit started and before I could even get her to the bathroom, she literally slapped me. Full on, right across the face. I was so stunned I didn't even know what to think. I dropped her on her bed, turned off the light and walked out before I did something I regretted. DH is OOT of course.

It seems to be transitions that set the fits off. But I can't not have transitions. We have to go to daycare, we have to eat meals, we have to run some errands and she has to go to bed!! I've tried the time warnings, I've tried time outs and taking things away. Nothing is working.

Any tips?

Please, please let it be the age. I keep worrying about what I'm doing wrong, because I feel like I try way too hard at parenting to have him be so naughty! I could have written the previous post, because he slapped me over something last week. We have weeks that are great and suddenly we are back to where we started. He never does anything I say, despite consistent consequences. I have to pick him up and drag him to time out, etc. He is getting too big for me to haul around anymore.

Something that sometimes works for us is to remind him of something fun that can happen after we get the other stuff done. I also bribe him some, like if he gets dressed without a wrestling match and is ready to go by the door when we leave I will let him have a piece of gum in the car. We have a Melissa & Doug responsibility chart that we put different goals on and he gets a magnet for each goal he met that day. The first time we got him a gift when he reached a certain number, but we haven't done that in awhile.

Another thing I've been thinking of trying- when I used to watch Supernanny (and scoff at those poor parents that I have a complete new understanding of), she would always do a family schedule. We have 95% of our troubles on the weekends, because he is out of routine and even though we do stuff, I think he gets bored and restless being home a lot. So I have been thinking about doing a family weekend schedule and going over it with him when he wakes up.

I hope this thread gets revived because I need a lot more help and commiseration with Noah than I do my baby. When it's bad, I can't stop wondering what is wrong with him and what we've done wrong. I took him to get a screening eval though our school district, but they said the issues that he's having (that I told them about) were not affecting his learning, so he doesn't qualify for an IEP or anything. I still wonder sometimes about taking him to a private behavior consultant or something.

Carrie, I hope it gets better for you, but for better or worse, you're not alone!

Married~ 6-15-02

Shimmer, I need to add you to LJ. I posted in my journal and most of the moms here commented there. I think the age is 95% of it. I'm so sorry you are have the same struggles. It really makes you feel like a failure of a parent! Isn't it funny how opposite kids can be though. Payton is happiest on the weekends when we do nothing but play around the house. I think some of it is that DH is home to help, either with Riley or to play with her. I blame some of it on the weather too. I cannot wait for it to be warm enough to go outside without having to bundle Riley up. I just haven't found a way to get them both out for more than 15 min. I swear I've spent upwards of $300 on indoor play places this winter to try and give Payton some outlet for her energy (and we have our bounce house in the basement which does help). And some of it is jealousy. Now that Riley is taking her toys, can push her over, can climb on top of her and pull her hair, let's just say there are a few sibling fights. And then I blame some of it on my sleep deprivation. I know the fact that Riley is still up 2x a night means my patience is low and my energy is low and it's just tough to operate like that, esp on the days I work.

So, maybe we can share stories if nothing else!

I will say, one of my BFF has a boy 3 weeks younger than Payton and he makes Payton look like an angel. My friend has tried every parenting method out there but her son is so spirited, stubborn and big and strong and it's so so tough.

Yes, please add me! Shimmerstar80
    I haven't posted in my journal in a long time, because I started a blog that family can access, but I still love to read and comment on others.

Married~ 6-15-02

I forgot about this thread but saw it come up on new posts on my phone. I'm on LJ, too, but I keep forgetting to check it. Boilermaker- I don't think it's poor parenting, I think this age is just really difficult in some ways. Unfortunately for us, every age has been difficult but for different reasons. I don't have a lot of time to write tonight but I want to commiserate. Tonight she was being really difficult and I asked her why. Her answer? "I like to be naughty. I like doing naughty things." Jeez, Louise. We don't even use the term naughty so I don't know where she got that from. Our big issue is that she gets out of control and I don't know how to stop it. I've been thinking about starting a thread about it but I don't know if I want to open myself to all of that.

We have weeks that are great and suddenly we are back to where we started.
    This is us. It's totally unpredictable, too.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11