Quantcast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yikes, that sounds terrible! How'd she do with the IV? I can't imagine how they get a 3 year old to leave one in?? I've never heard of HSP before either. Do they know how she caught it?

I think everyone knows about our main struggle right now- potty training. We switched back to diapers full time about 2 weeks ago and it's been awesome. Her behavior has improved soooo much, we basically have the old Millie back- she's fun to be around, hardly ever causes trouble, etc. Plus we don't have to clean up accidents constantly. One interesting thing- she won't wear a diaper to school or on play dates as if she's embarrassed to wear one around her friends. Cracks me up But hopefully she'll start getting embarrassed to wear one at all...
    Betsy and Dave, married 10/18/03
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10

That is great that the diapers are helping all around. It sounds like she is being a normal 3yo and that is the area she wants control over. There is no way you can potty train her if she's not going to willing participate.

The HSP isn't a catchable/transmitted thing. It's just a reaction when you get a virus in your bloodstream. I did get a call back from the ER and she's got a pretty high level of strep in her blood. But since she showed no signs before, there was no way to know.

Carrie, that must have been scary to have to go through all that. I hope she is better soon and sleeping well again.

Betsy, yay that diapers are making it easier. Our control issue is sleep, but in all honesty our control issues are a lot of things.

We had a really rough couple of weeks at the beginning of the month, but for the past week or so he has been awesome. His sleep has been pretty bad but last night was a little better. My main concern right now is that he is suddenly getting a new teacher at school and I'm not sure what's going on. I think I'm more upset about it than he is, but I really don't do well with change.

We started swimming lessons too, and he's too afraid to do much. But we took him swimming in the lake and he was dunking his head, blowing bubbles, etc. so I think it's more of an issue with the environment.

Married~ 6-15-02
    Noah~ 2-14-07 * Eli~ 3-5-10

Yup, it's definitely a control thing. She's a stubborn little girl- my parents just laugh that I'm getting a taste of my own medicine I was also super old by the time I was potty trained. I actually remember sharing a sticker chart with my sister for making it through the night without an accident- and she's 2.5 years younger than me!

Shimmer- I saw your thread about the sleep issues. That sounds really rough especially with a new baby to deal with as well!

Man, I'm jealous that you guys are having luck with swimming lessons. I signed Millie up a couple months ago, went to the first class where she did ok at first but then ended up clinging to the side of the pool crying. I had to take her out before the lesson was over. Then we talked about it at home and she said she wanted to go back and try again the next week. So we did, but then she refused to even get into the pool at all. Ugh. So I stopped going- Nate was 3-4weeks old at the time and I just didn't want to fight with her about it. Maybe next year, I guess.
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10

Are you able to go in with her? Payton won't do anything if I'm not in with her, so I signed her up for private lessons. I just wear Riley in a water swing (if she's not sleeping). But you know, she'll have plenty of time to learn and it's better for her to be comfortable with the water than scared of it.

shimmer, I read your sleep thread too and don't see how you are doing it with both kids!! I thought Payton was a horrible sleeper but compared to Noah, I'll take it. I hope the sleep stays good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    But you know, she'll have plenty of time to learn and it's better for her to be comfortable with the water than scared of it.
    My thoughts exactly. My mom is terrified of the water and can't swim at all and I really don't want my kids to end up that way. And no, I wasn't able to go in with her unfortunately. I'm sure that would have made a big difference.
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10

Default quick hello

Well, it has been forever since I have posted on this thread...been a crazy couple of years to say the least. Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say a quick hello. I can't believe that the baby I was pregnant with on this site is now 3 1/2 years old...going on 30. Julia is a super star and wonderfully healthy...despite coming out 11 weeks early.

I also just had another baby...a baby boy born at 39 weeks at a scheduled c-section. Jonah Benjamin is 9 weeks old. He is perfect and wonderful. We had multiple losses before him and lots of IVF, but he is here now and that is all that matters.

I hope everyone is doing well. I very rarely get time to hang on the Internet, but I happened to be playing around and noticed that the thread had been updated. I hope your kids are all doing well.
    Karen & Andrew: August 1, 2004
    Julia Rose: January 13, 2007
    Jonah Benjamin: May 20, 2010

Aaron's starting preschool next week. He's going T/Th from 9-2 and the only reason he's excited to go is because he got a nametag on his lunchbox so he wants to go so nobody else will eat his lunch. Whatever works! I hope he has fun and it isn't a traumatic departure. I want to cry happy tears, not tears of frustration. We have a meet the teacher later this week and his first week is only 9-12...so I'm hoping the gradual ease in will help.

He loves being a big brother, especially now that his sisters (16 months old) are REALLY into playing. They love to dance and chase each other around and jump on Aaron's bed. Having more than 1 kid really does make life a little easier...in some instances I love that they have playmates.

Our swim classes were really good, Aaron still isn't able to actually swim. But he is comfortable in the water and can balance on a noodle (like a horse), kick and balance with the kickboard, and pretty much he'll float in the pool all day if we let him. He has one class left this week. I don't think we'll get him horizontal and face in the water (the goal) but I'm very pleased with what he's learned. We did private one on one classes in a private pool.
    Dirk & Amy 9.18.04
    Aaron 3.20.07
    Sydney and Elle 5.15.09

Good luck with school Amy!! I hope it is all smiles for you.

I am so ready for fall! Summer was fun and went by in a flash but I love fall and all the stuff that goes along with it. I'm looking forward to being able to run around outside for hours without ending up in a sweat or sunburnt LOL. I ended up quitting Payton's swimming lessons as we weren't getting anywhere with them. I think the lifeguard we had was pretty bad and I didn't think i could really fire him and pick a new one. But Payton will now go in the water with her little life jacket swim thing on by herself and she'll put her face under and is way more comfortable, so I'll take it. We actually had one very scary pool incident this summer that made me (all of us) realize how quick things can happen.

Payton moves to the next room at school next week. She's not had any problems with transition up to this point and one of her current teachers moves up with the group, so it should be an easy move. I really like the head teacher and she promises to keep Payton challenged since she is starting to read and write above her age level. Payton showed such an interest in reading and writing that we decided to embrace it and she's doing very well with her phonics and with learning sight words. It's really fun to watch her recognize words in books and to figure out words and teach them to herself.

mia- Good luck with school! I hope Aaron loves it. Too cute about the lunch. 3 year old logic can be just hysterical sometimes

Like Carrie, we gave up on swim lessons. Unlike Payton, Millie made zero progress and won't go into a pool at all (well, I guess technically, she'll stand on the second step at my parents' pool, but she won't even let someone carry her into deeper water). The ocean however, is no big deal to her- she'll go right up to her neck. Obviously someone has to be right there with her!

We also gave up on soccer. She refused to participate and was very disruptive to the rest of the class, so that was the end of that.

Summer really did go by fast. I'm so glad to be leaving it behind! The hot weather was brutal this year and we were sooo busy with selling the house and moving. Millie was so stressed out about it and we only realized the extent of it once we moved. She calmed way down once it was over. The best part is that she goes right to sleep every night now. No more million excuses, coming out of her room constantly, playing/reading in her room until all hours, etc. It's been great. Of course we're going to have to go through it again in a year when we move again...
    Amelia Claire 3/4/07
    Nathan Edward 3/10/10