Quantcast
Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Mrs.Spencer - I completely understand the picture thing too. One of the things that pushed me to finally do something about my weight (in addition to health issues) is that I refuse to be photographed because I can't stand to look at myself in pictures. But then I think - 'I'm not going to have any photos of me with DD and that's just sad'.

Medako - you don't want to injure yourself! From everything I've read, several short workouts are just as good as one long one. So, just do what you can.

Grenouille - in terms of snacking at night, I've kicked that habit by working out at night. In my case, I work full time and already get up early to get to work early so the only time I can workout is after I put DD to bed. It wasn't easy at first because I was tired from a long day but now that I've gotten in to the routine, it's gotten a lot easier. And since I'm busy doing that, I can't snack.
    Marriage - 10/12/2003
    Lily - 9/26/2006

Larslobster, I really should do that. But I so enjoy that quiet time, I'm afraid I'll miss it or something. Plus that's when I catch up on tv, and I eat while I watch. Ugh.

And now another obstacle has come up. Last week I started in a bootcamp class and during one exercise I'm pretty sure I fractured my big toe right where it meets my foot. I hurt it) probably fractured it) last year at this time of year and never went to the dr (dumb, I know) and I think I re-injured it. I've been in denial all week but it still hurts so I think it is time to admit it is hurt and rest it. Ugh! Just what I do NOT need! I still haven't gone to the dr because there isn't really much they can do. So I'm taking it week by week I guess.

I had just really got myself into a groove with running, and the bootcamp class was an *awesome* addition to my workouts. Now I'll likely have to start over again. I know I can probably swim for exercise, but it isn't the same. I walk everywhere, that's part of my routine. I can't replace walking with swimming. Can't swim while the kids are in bed. Can't swim the kids to school. Can't swim to the zoo, etc. I feel like a big whiner but I am just so mad and depressed that this happened!

Grenouille - give it a few days to rest and maybe even head to the doctor. Just knowing if it's a break or a lesser injury will probably ease your mind. And if the doc says to stay off of it, isn't it better to stay off for a few days/weeks than have it keep reinjuring?

I think I woke up in the world's biggest funk today. Nothing was going my way and everything was irritating me. I was even ready to throw in the towel on this weight loss thing all together. But dangit, I've worked too hard to just give up...so I got my fat butt back up on that treadmill and turned on the music. and.... I FINISHED THE WHOLE 30 MINUTE WORKOUT! I had to slow the pace some from what I was trying to do this morning, but dangit, I finished it - the whole thing!
    Only thing better than having a boy, is having two!
    Jack Ryan 1.12.06
    Tate Daniel 6.23.11

MrsSpencer - I hear you about the pictures. We just did family pictures yesterday - it was supposed to be just the kids but last time DS screamed so much I made sure DH and I dressed appropriately so we could jump in if we need to. The picture came out okay, but I kept stressing about it the whole time. Thankfully she hit me at an angle so you couldn't see my arms and I was sitting down with DD on my lap so you couldn't see the belly roll. Ugh.
    But at the same time I want my picture to be taken - I've also been in a funk the last few weeks because this guy at work, his wife died at 43 from breast cancer. His kids are 12, 9 and 6. I get so scared of something happening to be (no so scared that I am debilitated or anything) but if god forbid, something were to happen, I would want my kids to be able to look at pictures and video of me.

Portion Sizes - I definitely know what is a correct portion - I just take more. I need to stop doing dinner family style. We usually put the meat on the plates, but the veggies and the starch have been on the table - the starch being my downfall (that and DH putting too much butter on the veggies). But overall making dinner every night has helped. Until a year ago, DH worked until 7 so I made what I wanted and fed DD. So every night I made something I was excited about (ie pasta) - now dinners for the most part are just fuel which in turn has allowed me to eat less. If it is a dinner I really love, I still need to watch myself though.

My Own Exercise Funk - I had a gain this past week and part of it was because of my feet - I was on the treadmill last Sunday and I haven't been back on because prior to it and after my right foot hurt so much. I got cheap orthotics and have tried not to wear barefeet (very hard for me) and it feels a little better. I NEED to get back on the treadmill. I was on such a high last week after I walked (albeit only 30 minutes and only 1.5 miles). I want that feeling back! I also sabotage myself by staying up way too late watching tv - it is all DVRed but I still watch it and then can't get up at 5:30 (I just can't work out after 8 pm when the kids are in bed). I also downloaded music, so I am all set to go. I also can't really run. In high school I had stress fractures in both legs, shin splints, bursitis in my knees - I just don't think my legs like running, no matter my weight. But I did buy a heart-rate monitor so I can make sure I am really getting a good work out in. I also have a rack for my bike so i can do spinning videos, I have a step. I have a treadmill. I have everything in my house I need. I would like to get out and be able to swim on my own but I am not sure if that will happen -if I have the time to go swim, I would much rather do exercise where I am sweating)

I do need to get back on track this week and get myself out of this funk. I do that when I am at the cusp of a new "decade" of numbers. I want it to keep going down!

ETA: Medako - Yeah for finishing to workout!!!!!!
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

I know I need to rest it. I'm not running or doing bootcamp this week, and I'll reassess this weekend and see how it feels. I've thought about going to the doctor but I really don't have time. I don't even know what type of doctor I'd see. Orthopedist? Anyway, I'm just really bummed about having to stop running right now. My running partner was just starting to catch up to me and we were doing longer runs, and now I have to stop. I was ready to try for 6 miles on my solo long run day, but I can't. And bootcamp was supposed to be the kick in the pants for my weight loss, but that's out now too. Running really helped clear my head too, and I needed that. I'm just bummed, that's all.

Medako WTG on the treadmill!!! You can do this! I honestly couldn't run a mile before a couple of years ago. If I can work my way up to 5 mile runs, you can too! I've had bad knees all my life, and they still give me trouble when I run (they are the reason I haven't gone farther than 5 miles) but it does get better if you take it slowly.

jesseybell I hear you on the funk thing too. That's why this foot injury is so devastating to me right now. I had pulled myself out of the funk and was really enjoying what I was doing, and now I have to stop and I know I'm going to get into a funk again and it is so hard to snap out of it. I hope that you can get motivated to keep going.

Just jumping in to say hi - I'm currently fit but have always been a person who has to really watch her weight and hav ebeen quite heavy several times in my life. I was following thsi thread just as a way to keep monitored.

But I wanted to jump in and offer this idea to Grenouille - if you have injured your toe, can you bike/elliptical as an alternative? Usually I run and I like that much better because it really burns calories but I have also had time off when I broke my foot (two different times) and I just switched to the exercise bike. You have to do more time to bur he same calories but at least you can read. Just an idea. That was the only thing that kept me sane during my last break - and kept the weight off.

Thanks for the suggestion, jajacobsen. I've thought about using the bike at the gym, but I am a little hesitant because of where I am hurt/how I got injured (both times). When I was injured the first time, last year, I was playing on the monkey bars with my son and thought I was closer to the ground than I was. I let go of the bars while I was swinging, and landed with my foot bent (so I landed on the ball of my foot) and that's when that joint was injured. I think I just kept walking and exercising, but at that time I wasn't running. This time I hurt my foot doing "burpees", the exercise where you squat to the floor, kick both legs back into push up position, pull both legs back in, then jump up, then repeat. I kicked my legs back and landed in push up position and felt pain right where my big toe connects with my foot, on the top side. It felt like I had just re-injured the same spot that had been hurt before. I had done this once earlier this year, doing the same exercise (obviously I didn't remember that or I'd have skipped the burpees this time!!). But that time it must have healed really fast because I don't remember having to stop exercising at all. So that's my extraordinarily long-winded way of saying the bike may or may not be good, depending on how much I have to bend my foot to pedal. I'm going to try it on Wed. though. And I'm going to remind myself often that I can't do any exercise that involves standing or jumping on the ball of my foot!!!

Yikes. I am pretty active/fit (run half marathons, do weight training and yoga)and I experienced knee problems doing burpees in 05 and simply just gave them up. I know they are supposed to be "great" for you, but man, I just think they are too instense for my over 40 body!

Just chiming in to say that I'm following along. Much like jaja, I'm pretty fit now, but it's a constant struggle. Truthfully, this is the most fit I've ever been in my life. DH and I both go to the gym regularly (me more so than he at this point in our lives) and we have a trainer. One day a week we do a full body workout with free weights and one day we do endurance training. The other 3 days I go to the weight lifting and aerobic classes (zumba, boot camp, spin, combat) and hit either the treadmill or elliptical.

I've got a bad foot also. It's weird - just in the area right at the joint/ball of my big toe on my left foot. It started when I changed shoes and was really painful. Lunges, running, the elliptical and even general walking was agonizing for a while. It's somewhat better and I've been wearing my Reebok EasyTones, which seem to have extra padding in the front. A friend of mine has mentioned the same issue and per her doctor, it was caused by doing lots of downhill running, which inflamed a nerve. I've resisted going to the doctor, so I have no idea what's wrong with me!

Anyway, this is a great thread and I wish everyone much luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
    I am eating "good" food (tons of fruits and veggies, no processed crap, etc) but apparently I'm eating too much of it. I would really appreciate any advice on overcoming food issues.
    This is me!! I'm trying lately to just eat 3 meals a day instead of the 6 small meals or whatever. That just doesn't work for me. I end up eating too much throughout the day like that. Since I've gone back to the 3 meals I've lost a few pounds and I tend to eat less since my stomach has a chance to empty between meals (and seems to be "smaller" and quicker to fill as a result)

Great thread!
    Married 6-14-03
    DD #1 6-13-05
    DD #2 9-21-07